Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2011, 18:38   #1
BHPian
 
cosmos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 34
Thanked: 3 Times
Post Another mileage booster advertisement. SCAM?

Hi Everyone,

I came across this advertisement on "WHATCAR" magazine(February edition).
Thought of sharing the same with everyone.
Two pdf's attached.
Page1 has the ad and page2 has the interview with the MD, Powertech which has come up with this product "POWER O2".

Experts, will this work? Can someone explain in depth how this product can help based on the excerpts from the interview?

Thanks,
cosmos
Attached Files
File Type: pdf page1.pdf (937.1 KB, 920 views)
File Type: pdf page2.pdf (459.6 KB, 728 views)
cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 19:48   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,745
Thanked: 4,334 Times
Default re: Another mileage booster advertisement. SCAM?

@Cosmos, if some one were to say that they will give you 40% returns on your investment, would you believe the person ?
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 20:04   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,676
Thanked: 744 Times
Default re: Another mileage booster advertisement. SCAM?

The guy is beating around the bush rather than talking sense. I think Mr. Dutta is talking crap!

@Condor- well said!

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 20:29   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
speedmiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 824 Times
Default re: Another mileage booster advertisement. SCAM?

Isn't it very similar to another scam product from Dorf Katal.
Now they have changed the product name and also the company name.

I do not understand why the magazine agreed to print the ad. The car magazines should be little more responsible and less money minded when it comes to scam product like the above. An ad in a car magazine can very well dupe few unsuspecting people who rely on such magazines.

Edit: Yup its the same scam, with a different name.

Last edited by speedmiester : 20th February 2011 at 20:36.
speedmiester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 22:05   #5
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 714 Times
Default re: Another mileage booster advertisement. SCAM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Isn't it very similar to another scam product from Dorf Katal.
Now they have changed the product name and also the company name.
Can you kindly elaborate what the previous scam was? Or post any links to the same. Dorf Katal sounds very similar to a pretty large and respected chemical company - Dorf Ketal.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 22:16   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
speedmiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 824 Times
Default re: Another mileage booster advertisement. SCAM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Can you kindly elaborate what the previous scam was? Or post any links to the same. Dorf Katal sounds very similar to a pretty large and respected chemical company - Dorf Ketal.
Here you go.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...orf-katel.html (SCAM : Device to increase your Car's Mileage (Oxyplus from Dorf Katel))
speedmiester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 12:07   #7
BHPian
 
cosmos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 34
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Cosmos, if some one were to say that they will give you 40% returns on your investment, would you believe the person ?
condor, but how do magazines print such ad's if they're bogus?
They claim the increase in efficiency so confidently!! That is what made me think.

But thanks for the analogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
The guy is beating around the bush rather than talking sense. I think Mr. Dutta is talking crap!
Spike
Even I could not make out what he is talking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post

I do not understand why the magazine agreed to print the ad. The car magazines should be little more responsible and less money minded when it comes to scam product like the above. An ad in a car magazine can very well dupe few unsuspecting people who rely on such magazines.
Exactly!! How can the car magazines print without actually getting deeper into these products? They're definitely misleading people without much knowledge. Fortunately we have this forum to discuss and find out. But think about someone who just looks at this ad and goes for it thinking it will give that extra 40% on gas as per claim. This ad is not even certified by any authority too.

Last edited by Eddy : 21st February 2011 at 16:41. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 20 mins. Thanks.
cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 12:38   #8
BHPian
 
Sprucegoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 311
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Another mileage booster advertisement. SCAM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
Exactly!! How can the car magazines print without actually getting deeper into these products? They're definitely misleading people without much knowledge. Fortunately we have this forum to discuss and find out. But think about someone who just looks at this ad and goes for it thinking it will give that extra 40% on gas as per claim. This ad is not even certified by any authority too.

Their sales team has a quarterly target to meet.
They don't care what ads are put as long as they get paid for it.
And the control that the creative / editorial team have on the ads placed will be vestigial at best.
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 12:40   #9
BHPian
 
Garipagol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 192
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Another mileage booster advertisement. SCAM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
Even I could not make out what he is talking.
The device looks like a dog collar. May be Mr. Dutta should start wearing it on his neck. That should prevent him from speaking non sense. If this device saves so much fuel why is'nt he supplying these to the car manufacturers ? Imagine if your car manufacturer brings out your model with a 40% more fuel efficiency ! For today's cars the air/fuel mix is optimized based on the fuel available in our country. Unless you modify engine parameters electronically - essentially retuning your engine (which is typically done to increase performance and not save fuel), fitting an external gadget will never save you fuel. What it may do however is to reduce performance and ruin the engine.

Rgds
Garipagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 13:28   #10
CPH
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 577
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Another mileage booster advertisement. SCAM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol View Post
The device looks like a dog collar. May be Mr. Dutta should start wearing it on his neck. That should prevent him from speaking non sense. If this device saves so much fuel why is'nt he supplying these to the car manufacturers ? Imagine if your car manufacturer brings out your model with a 40% more fuel efficiency ! For today's cars the air/fuel mix is optimized based on the fuel available in our country. Unless you modify engine parameters electronically - essentially retuning your engine (which is typically done to increase performance and not save fuel), fitting an external gadget will never save you fuel. What it may do however is to reduce performance and ruin the engine.

Rgds
Car manufacturers are not hooked on fuel savings. This is no valid argument to discredit a product.

Neither it is correct to say that the ECU maps are set for optimum fuel efficiency but I do not want to go into this here.

Certain external gadgets actually will save fuel!

However to save 40% of fuel it takes a lot and this gadget certaibly will not do so.

@ cosmos - Paper has got a lot of patience. When Britain wanted to invade Irak it was proven that Saddam had plenty of weapons of mass destruction and every news paper in the country was printing it. Seems that Saddam threw them into a black hole as nobody ever could find them.

Unfortunately nobody can do something about the claim they made in their add. The claim is that they make up to 40%.

Regarding the comment that people can get fooled by the advert into buying into a scam I only can reply, that common sene should tell that this is a non starter. We have been given something that is called brain and at such occasions it is the time to make good use of it.
CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 14:28   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,385
Thanked: 336 Times
Default Re: Another mileage booster advertisement. SCAM?

This is amazing. Few gems from the interview (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Power O2 is an external gadget fitted on the exhaust manifold..
..
It supplies Oxygen to atomize fuel of any form
..
After fitment of power O2, because of complete combustion, there is development in engine power
Once fuel/gasses reach exhaust, combustion has already taken place. How can ANY device help?
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 14:51   #12
BHPian
 
Garipagol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 192
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Another mileage booster advertisement. SCAM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
Car manufacturers are not hooked on fuel savings. This is no valid argument to discredit a product.
I will differ here. Fuel comsumption has increasingly become a differentiator among similar models with the increase in price of fuel (even in US nowadays). Many leading manufacturers highlight fuel consumption as an important characteristic of the vehicle. In certain segments the cars may be gas guzzlers but that does not mean they are fuel inefficient. E.G. the Merc S class gives about 2/3 KM per liter - surely the engine is not inefficient. If Merc can make a S class which will give higher fuel mileage I firmly believe they certainly would do so. In fact Mercedes is one manufacturer who has started putting smaller engines (tuned differently) in larger cars for fuel economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
Neither it is correct to say that the ECU maps are set for optimum fuel efficiency but I do not want to go into this here.
I will take your point of not debating this but it defies logic to understand why not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
Certain external gadgets actually will save fuel!
I believe there is a subtle difference when we talk about fuel saving and fuel efficiency. If the gadgets you are referring to save fuel without compromising performance (and are priced reasonably) then they are very good indeed. And we should all use them. However saving fuel at the cost of efficiency/performance may not be desirable. And in the longer run may not save TCO.

I know that there are external gadgets which sit between the ECU and the engine and trap the ECU signals and modify them but these are essentially electronic tuning units. They also void the warranty, but you can remove them prior to going for service so that no one may know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
However to save 40% of fuel it takes a lot and this gadget certaibly will not do so.
My point exactly, a marginal increase in fuel consumption can happen even with better driving habits. A quantum jump of 40% is unlikely under any circumstances.

As for the AD content in many countries the claim made can be construed as misrepresentation / misguidance unless it is supported by facts / external proving agencies. Typically the company will have to remove such an AD from circulation unless their claim is substantiated.

Rgds
Garipagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 15:19   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,700
Thanked: 2,119 Times
Default Re: Another mileage booster advertisement. SCAM?

There was also a time when Sachin Tendulkar, Hrithik Roshan and one other celebrity (I forget the third), advertised for some product or offering that turned out to be a sham. In times when most newspapers sell their editorial space, what can be expected from car magazines? It is always best to use one's discretion.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 15:57   #14
BHPian
 
cosmos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 34
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Another mileage booster advertisement. SCAM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
Regarding the comment that people can get fooled by the advert into buying into a scam I only can reply, that common sene should tell that this is a non starter. We have been given something that is called brain and at such occasions it is the time to make good use of it.
I differ with the part of using one's brain. The basic average acumen of a common man about automobiles are much lesser than people on the forum or any petrol head. They can be easily misled.
cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 07:49   #15
BHPian
 
Skyline GT-R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dubai
Posts: 594
Thanked: 202 Times
Default Fuel Saver - Intelligent & Ecologic Investment?

Saw this ad in today's paper, Malayala Manorama.

Angamaly/Vizag BHPians, can you please check out the product & how it works? I have sent a mail to them. Will update the reply as it comes.
Attached Thumbnails
Another mileage booster advertisement. SCAM?-img0031a.jpg  

Skyline GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eicher Pro 6037 launched with mileage booster and telematics dZired Commercial Vehicles 7 17th June 2016 13:57
SCAM : Device to increase your Car's Mileage (Oxyplus from Dorf Katel) Sarvodaya The Indian Car Scene 75 7th July 2011 15:51
Sukhoi Mileage Booster -- Legitimate or Not? Games Goblin Modifications & Accessories 13 30th April 2009 02:03
Hydroxy Mileage Booster - Are they True? gemithomas Technical Stuff 3 12th March 2009 08:41
OH NO!! Another Ferrari Enzo crashed.. and another... and another (w/ video) GTO The International Automotive Scene 72 26th May 2007 14:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks