Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2015, 19:28   #1486
BHPian
 
Darth Sid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 305
Thanked: 114 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
I just double checked the MRP. It is actually INR 808. Is it the case that Minda are putting a higher MRP for showrooms? or is your product different?



Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I did check the price tag and it was mentioned 1800 for a pair
Are these Minda horns superior to Roots Windtone which can be found online for as low as 460 bucks? Getting them from the showroom makes sense if one wants to retain warranty. Just wondering if the Roots equivalent is superior or inferior.
Darth Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 09:30   #1487
Senior - BHPian
 
rakesh_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PNQ/MUM/PKD
Posts: 1,012
Thanked: 597 Times
Default re: Power Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
Are these Minda horns superior to Roots Windtone which can be found online for as low as 460 bucks? Getting them from the showroom makes sense if one wants to retain warranty. Just wondering if the Roots equivalent is superior or inferior.
As per my experience Roots makes one of the best horns and the added advantage that they are repairable.
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 09:53   #1488
BHPian
 
Darth Sid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 305
Thanked: 114 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
As per my experience Roots makes one of the best horns and the added advantage that they are repairable.
Though I have fitted a pair of Hella Spice Tone horns (which are about the same size as and similar in appearance to the Roots Vibrosonic) on my Duke, I had also ordered a pair of Roots Windtone from Snapdeal since they seemed to be a good deal at 460 bucks. I do plan to install them on one of our vehicles. Yes, Minda makes good, durable horns too but I have seen more reverence for Roots than the former. So I made a good purchase for 460 rupees then.
Darth Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 10:06   #1489
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 480
Thanked: 96 Times
Default re: Power Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
I just double checked the MRP. It is actually INR 808. Is it the case that Minda are putting a higher MRP for showrooms? or is your product different?
This MRP sticker was no where found in the box. I just saw the normal yellow small sticker with Rs.1800 printed. Along with me, there were couple of other new cars in which these were fitted. So, its a premium price.
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 11:17   #1490
Senior - BHPian
 
rakesh_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PNQ/MUM/PKD
Posts: 1,012
Thanked: 597 Times
Default re: Power Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
Though I have fitted a pair of Hella Spice Tone horns (which are about the same size as and similar in appearance to the Roots Vibrosonic) on my Duke, I had also ordered a pair of Roots Windtone from Snapdeal since they seemed to be a good deal at 460 bucks. I do plan to install them on one of our vehicles. Yes, Minda makes good, durable horns too but I have seen more reverence for Roots than the former. So I made a good purchase for 460 rupees then.
There is one more company caller Seger trumpets.Been using them since 3+ years on my swift with no complaints touchwood.
http://en.seger.com/product/62E/

Last edited by rakesh_r : 17th September 2015 at 11:20.
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 12:58   #1491
BHPian
 
Darth Sid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 305
Thanked: 114 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
There is one more company caller Seger trumpets.Been using them since 3+ years on my swift with no complaints touchwood.
http://en.seger.com/product/62E/
I have read about this make on this forum itself but never really probed much. The model you quoted looks interesting. I am guessing that by "electronic card" they mean the horn either has no contact breaker points or if it does the current through them is only enough to drive the electronic circuit. Its working may be similar to some CB point replacement kits for Bullets. Reducing the current flow through the points drastically cuts down on pitting caused due to arcing. Thanks for sharing.

In any case it seems that the Windtones will either go on our Bullet or Pulsar which means they need to be cheap enough to replace in the event of premature failure which can easily be caused by water spray on a Motorcycle.

For my Swift I had acquired a pair of Hella Supertone horns. I would have preferred to mount these red grille horns on the Duke because of their high loudness to weight ratio but they draw 5.5A to 6A each. The Hella Spice Tone horns are really heavy but are as loud as the Supertone with only 3.5A current draw. Trumpet horns always draw more than 5A so that is why they were never an option for the Duke even though are usually very compact.
Darth Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 13:53   #1492
BHPian
 
mukeshgoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 733
Thanked: 367 Times
Default re: Power Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Got installed the Minda Jazz horn from Honda showroom last week. Its the trumpet sound like in Skoda and Audi. Costed me 1800/-
I got the exact same horn @700 including installation in Sep, 2014.

I am quite happy with the horn even after one year.
mukeshgoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 12:01   #1493
Senior - BHPian
 
rakesh_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PNQ/MUM/PKD
Posts: 1,012
Thanked: 597 Times
Default re: Power Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
I have read about this make on this forum itself but never really probed much. The model you quoted looks interesting. I am guessing that by "electronic card" they mean the horn either has no contact breaker points or if it does the current through them is only enough to drive the electronic circuit. Its working may be similar to some CB point replacement kits for Bullets. Reducing the current flow through the points drastically cuts down on pitting caused due to arcing. Thanks for sharing.

In any case it seems that the Windtones will either go on our Bullet or Pulsar which means they need to be cheap enough to replace in the event of premature failure which can easily be caused by water spray on a Motorcycle.

For my Swift I had acquired a pair of Hella Supertone horns. I would have preferred to mount these red grille horns on the Duke because of their high loudness to weight ratio but they draw 5.5A to 6A each. The Hella Spice Tone horns are really heavy but are as loud as the Supertone with only 3.5A current draw. Trumpet horns always draw more than 5A so that is why they were never an option for the Duke even though are usually very compact.
I would not recommend trumpets on a motorcycle.One splash of water it starts quacking like a duck.About the Hella redgrills using them on my Bullet.
On my swift I have a Roots Vibrosonic and Seger Trumpets,controlled by a simple toggle switch,the former being for the highways.
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 14:40   #1494
BHPian
 
Darth Sid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 305
Thanked: 114 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I would not recommend trumpets on a motorcycle.One splash of water it starts quacking like a duck.About the Hella redgrills using them on my Bullet.
On my swift I have a Roots Vibrosonic and Seger Trumpets,controlled by a simple toggle switch,the former being for the highways.
Is the Vibrosonic really that effective on highways? The Spice Tone on my Duke doesn't really get the kind of response I expect from such horns and they are rated at 118dB while Vibrosonic is 110dB.

Yeah, trumpet type horns cannot last very long on a motorcycle. I will have to see what I can do with them.
Darth Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 09:51   #1495
BHPian
 
adi_sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 95
Thanked: 56 Times
Default re: Power Horns!

I am using hella red grill and those seem loud enough, would anyone know how much bd it would be ? One of them is showing signs of dying so might need a replacement. Is the yellow one better ?
adi_sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 13:45   #1496
BHPian
 
Darth Sid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 305
Thanked: 114 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_sun View Post
I am using hella red grill and those seem loud enough, would anyone know how much bd it would be ? One of them is showing signs of dying so might need a replacement. Is the yellow one better ?
I have an unused new pair each of the Supertone (Red grille) and Sharptone (yellow panther) and the former is bigger, louder and draws more current. Build quality of the red ones is also better which is why they will go in my car. The red ones are rated at 118dB while the yellow ones at 106-118dB.
Darth Sid is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 14:30   #1497
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,210
Thanked: 522 Times
Default

Got Minda trumpets installed in my City yesterday. Really good horn. Costed - 670 including installation.

I am appalled at the OEM horns Honda supplies. They look like a moped horn and sounds as bad.
harry10 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2015, 18:32   #1498
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 477
Thanked: 447 Times
Default re: Power Horns!

few months back, the OE horn in my Xylo (5.5 yrs aged) suddenly started sounding very low, weird tone. The sound was just OK to be heard on a relatively quieter road! I had been to the MMASS and the engineer 'tuned' a screw on the horns. The horn got OK.

Again last week, the horn behaved low tone. I will check with MMASS if some 'tuning' or quick-fix is available. Else, I plan to buy a new one.
I have read good about Hella Red Grill on this forum, suggesting that its pretty loud than most OE - any experience for Xylo ? and will a relay be require ?

thanks,
pcpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2015, 21:09   #1499
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,006
Thanked: 4,427 Times
Default re: Power Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Else, I plan to buy a new one.
I have read good about Hella Red Grill on this forum, suggesting that its pretty loud than most OE - any experience for Xylo ? and will a relay be require ?
Red grills are really good, provided you get your hands on a genuine Hella. Best part is, they are repairable.

I have them on my 4WD Scorpio for the past 10 months and no issues. They are waterproof as well. Few guys have it on their SUV's and most appear satisfied with their purchase.

No relay is required for my Scorpio. Believe it should be true for Xylo as well. IMO, your OE horns have lasted well enough, maybe time to let them RIP.

Last edited by Sheel : 11th October 2015 at 21:32.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2015, 21:21   #1500
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,672
Thanked: 8,687 Times
Default re: Power Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
I have read good about Hella Red Grill on this forum, suggesting that its pretty loud than most OE - any experience for Xylo ? and will a relay be require ?
My top picks are- Hella Red Grille(look for Made in India, with warranty), Roots Megasonic and Bosch Fanfare(windtone type). Check which one you like better, my personal preference is Hella Red Grille(check my XUV ownership thread for installation details).
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Best & Safe location for Power Horns mithun Modifications & Accessories 4 30th July 2013 10:40
Yippie - reverse horns = illegal normally_crazy Shifting gears 68 9th May 2011 13:45
Steble Nautilus Horns sounds great! willy Modifications & Accessories 20 10th August 2006 13:03
Will the Air Horns last as longer as Electric Horns ? mithun Modifications & Accessories 4 15th June 2006 11:05
Stebel Nautilus air horns John Technical Stuff 3 11th April 2006 13:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks