Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2015, 00:09   #1501
CDM
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NOIDA
Posts: 83
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

I installed Hella Red Grills on my Innova when one of the original horns packed up. Very happy with the sound. Its loud without being irritating. The horns look like red fangs through the Innova's grill😀.

CDM
CDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 00:24   #1502
BHPian
 
Darth Sid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 305
Thanked: 114 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
will a relay be require ?
I do not know what horns come fitted as stock on Mahindra vehicles but if your stock horns consume less current than the red grills, install a relay. See below the current draw for some aftermarket horns. All values are for a single piece, not pair.

Hella Supertone Red Grill: 5.5 Amps
Hella Spice Tone: 3.5 Amps
Roots Vibrosonic: 4 Amps
Roots Megasonic: 4 Amps
Roots Windtone: 5 Amps

Yes, that is right. The smaller Hella Supertone draws more current than the larger and louder Roots Megasonic.
Darth Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2015, 15:47   #1503
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 486
Thanked: 464 Times
Default re: Power Horns!

refer my earlier post.
last week at MMASS, asked them to check the horn also. Generally I stay next to vehicle, watching the works. I was maybe away for sometime, and engineer had already replaced with a new horn!

He said, the "high tone" piece was faulty. In Xylo, there are two horns installed (OE Hella), "low tone" and "high tone". if both working together, then mixed sound will be good! which means the original "low tone" is still intact, running.

I checked the new setup - the sound tone overall has changed from the original, but this is good note. its pretty loud as well, better than earlier. Im happy. Cost incurred = 500 (horn & labour). Not bad.

for ref, some pics of old horn and box pics:

Power Horns!-20151104_105518.jpg

Power Horns!-20151104_105531.jpg

Power Horns!-20151104_105609.jpg

Power Horns!-20151104_105631.jpg

regards,
pcpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2015, 19:19   #1504
BHPian
 
Darth Sid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 305
Thanked: 114 Times
Default

Hella Supertone in My Swift - Mounted a pair on the front beam in such a way that they are visible through the radiator grill but as I anticipated they would barely show because of the angle and thickness of the slats.

Sound is good enough, louder than stock. About as loud as the Hella Spice Tone. The changes can be reversed without much issue as no cutting and taping of the stock electricals was done. The stock low tone horn of still connected so the stock wiring powers that and the relay coil only. The wire from the battery to the relay is a fuse wire cum box that seems to have 3-4 sq mm cross section. Relay to nearby horn is 6 sq mm and from near to far is 4 sq mm. Wires from stock wiring to relay are 1.5 sq mm.

Mounting strips are thick ones that are used to mount plastic boxes on Splendour and other such bikes. Used without modification. DIY installation time was 4 hours because I had to go to multiple places to get the strips, male spade connectors and nuts, bolts and washers.
Attached Thumbnails
Power Horns!-1447076190759.jpg  

Power Horns!-1447076204208.jpg  

Power Horns!-1447076220771.jpg  

Power Horns!-1447076234415.jpg  

Power Horns!-1447076252598.jpg  

Power Horns!-1447076269299.jpg  

Power Horns!-1447076282299.jpg  


Last edited by Darth Sid : 9th November 2015 at 19:21.
Darth Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 08:40   #1505
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,146
Thanked: 4,628 Times
Default re: Power Horns!

The redgrills on my 2WD VLx were acting funny. Wasn't sure if there is an issue of rats biting the wires or the horns acting up.

Got it inspected from the competent electrician, he opened them up, did a bit of cleaning and voila, it was back to its irritating best

The one on the 4WD S10 is working fine.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 17:48   #1506
BHPian
 
saurabh2711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune, Bhopal, Indore
Posts: 161
Thanked: 99 Times
Default re: Power Horns!

If the hunger to find the loudest horns for Indian roads is not over.
Try these Loud horns; and I mean loud as in

1: http://www.amazon.com/BEHEMOTH-Tripl...ds=train+horns

2: http://www.amazon.com/Stebel-Nautilu...K9T8ZF88MQ22ZT

The Behemoth (1) comes with a Seven trumpet set as well with 210 dB sound (claimed).
However the second one, Stebel Nautilus is an ear breaker on its own.

Regards,
Saurabh.
saurabh2711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 18:05   #1507
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,535
Thanked: 2,538 Times
Default re: Power Horns!

Finally managed to fit a pair of Megasonics in the front bumper! They're loud and I love it!

SunnyBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 10:39   #1508
BHPian
 
Suraj25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 211
Thanked: 302 Times
Default re: Power Horns!

Guys I want to replace the stock horn in my punto to the Skoda/Merc/BMW type horn. I'm confused between the Roots Windtone and Minda Trumpets. Had a few queries:

1. Are both horns waterproof?
2. Which is more reliable of the two?
3. Which one sounds better?
4. Do I need to install a relay cutout too?

I'm planning to get them replaced tomorrow, so a quick response would be much appreciated!
Suraj25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 12:53   #1509
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,427
Thanked: 6,375 Times
Default re: Power Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
....I'm confused between the Roots Windtone and Minda Trumpets. Had a few queries:

1. Are both horns waterproof?
2. Which is more reliable of the two?
3. Which one sounds better?
4. Do I need to install a relay cutout too?
....
Nop, NONE of the trumpet horns are waterproof. The trick is to fix it in a place which can keep it away from water (preferably engine bay).

Reliability of these horns are pretty much the same; these can't be repaired either. I haven't used Minda, but from among Roots and Hella (Twin tone), I prefer Hella more as it's louder. Roots Windtone is softer comparatively.

If your current horn is powerful and comes with a relay, you don't have to install it. For Windtone in a Wagon R & Hella Twin tone in a Swift, no relays were used.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 13:23   #1510
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,216
Thanked: 553 Times
Default re: Power Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
Guys I want to replace the stock horn in my punto to the Skoda/Merc/BMW type horn. I'm confused between the Roots Windtone and Minda Trumpets. Had a few queries:

1. Are both horns waterproof?
2. Which is more reliable of the two?
3. Which one sounds better?
4. Do I need to install a relay cutout too?

I'm planning to get them replaced tomorrow, so a quick response would be much appreciated!
Minda trumpets. I got them in my City and trust me they sound even better than the Skoda Oem horns. Also they are quite reliable. No need of the relay.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 14:06   #1511
BHPian
 
Suraj25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 211
Thanked: 302 Times
Default re: Power Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Nop, NONE of the trumpet horns are waterproof. The trick is to fix it in a place which can keep it away from water (preferably engine bay).
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Minda trumpets. I got them in my City and trust me they sound even better than the Skoda Oem horns. Also they are quite reliable. No need of the relay.
Thanks for the inputs! Will probably go for Minda cause I came across it on youtube and the sound is perfect for me.

Also, can I use the stock Punto horn in my Fabia? Fabia comes with a single trumpet horn whereas the Punto's are double(non trumpet). Is it an easy install or will I have to make do with only one of the horns and keep the other one as spare
Suraj25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 17:22   #1512
BHPian
 
swift_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NCR
Posts: 193
Thanked: 247 Times
Default

Need some advice :

I have changed to some local horns, which look similar to Roots Megasonic (because of chrome grill on disc type horn), in my Swift which are rated at 6A. I have done a simple plug-n-play for the install and didn't add relay/better wiring.

How much are the stock horns rated at? I have the horns with me but the power specs aren't mentioned anywhere.

Do I need a relay? How can I add one without cutting stock wiring? When I fitted new horns, stock locations were far apart for low and high tone (top left of grill and bottom right of airdam) and wiring a relay would have meant joining the 2 positive wires of stock horn, which isn't possible without removing bumper entirely or maybe not possible at all as stock wires do not have much flexibility (as they are far apart).

Which relay would I need in this case? 4pin 30Amp one?

I am not facing any problems now but I think a relay will make them sound much better. The ones which I have changed to are 1-1.5 cm bigger in diameter than stock.
swift_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 18:25   #1513
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,427
Thanked: 6,375 Times
Default re: Power Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
...I have changed to some local horns, which look similar to Roots Megasonic (because of chrome grill on disc type horn), in my Swift which are rated at 6A. I have done a simple plug-n-play for the install and didn't add relay/better wiring.

How much are the stock horns rated at? I have the horns with me but the power specs aren't mentioned anywhere.

Do I need a relay? How can I add one without cutting stock wiring? ...Which relay would I need in this case? 4pin 30Amp one?...
If you have dual horns in the Swift, then the relay probably is already there. When I added the new horns, I was told there is no need to add a relay as it's already available.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 19:14   #1514
BHPian
 
swift_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NCR
Posts: 193
Thanked: 247 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If you have dual horns in the Swift, then the relay probably is already there. When I added the new horns, I was told there is no need to add a relay as it's already available.
Yes, two horns are stock and a relay would be present already.
swift_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 19:28   #1515
BHPian
 
Darth Sid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 305
Thanked: 114 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
Need some advice :

I have changed to some local horns, which look similar to Roots Megasonic (because of chrome grill on disc type horn), in my Swift which are rated at 6A. I have done a simple plug-n-play for the install and didn't add relay/better wiring.

How much are the stock horns rated at? I have the horns with me but the power specs aren't mentioned anywhere.

Do I need a relay? How can I add one without cutting stock wiring? When I fitted new horns, stock locations were far apart for low and high tone (top left of grill and bottom right of airdam) and wiring a relay would have meant joining the 2 positive wires of stock horn, which isn't possible without removing bumper entirely or maybe not possible at all as stock wires do not have much flexibility (as they are far apart).

Which relay would I need in this case? 4pin 30Amp one?

I am not facing any problems now but I think a relay will make them sound much better. The ones which I have changed to are 1-1.5 cm bigger in diameter than stock.
The stock horns in my '15 Swift were a pair of small sized Hella units. Not sure what their current draw is but when I installed the Hella Supertone (Red Grill) I installed a relay and 6 sq mm wires. Current draw of those is 5.5-6 Amps each. I don't think the stock horns draw that much. Had you bought genuine Megasonic horns you would not have needed a relay since they only draw 4 Amps each. To be safe I suggest you add a relay. My post about this installation is probably on the previous page.
Darth Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Best & Safe location for Power Horns mithun Modifications & Accessories 4 30th July 2013 10:40
Yippie - reverse horns = illegal normally_crazy Shifting gears 68 9th May 2011 13:45
Steble Nautilus Horns sounds great! willy Modifications & Accessories 20 10th August 2006 13:03
Will the Air Horns last as longer as Electric Horns ? mithun Modifications & Accessories 4 15th June 2006 11:05
Stebel Nautilus air horns John Technical Stuff 3 11th April 2006 13:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks