Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 2nd June 2016, 21:14   #1561
BHPian

Default re: Power Horns!

Hi all,

So I own a 2015 Alto K10 and i am not at all happy with the stock horn. I read through quite a lot of posts here and I noticed that in almost all cases, a relay must be installed.

My major concern is, once I do get a relay installed, it will void my warranty (car is 1.5 years old). I know i would be compromising safety here if i as is it possible to do it without a relay.

So my question here is, does anyone know the brand, type, power rating and decibel value for the stock horn used in an Alto K10? And, is there a suitable horn which is louder than this stock horn but can be used on the same relay.

Apologies in advance if my questions are silly

Thanks
frostbite911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 19:35   #1562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite911 View Post
Hi all,

So I own a 2015 Alto K10 and i am not at all happy with the stock horn. I read through quite a lot of posts here and I noticed that in almost all cases, a relay must be installed.

My major concern is, once I do get a relay installed, it will void my warranty (car is 1.5 years old). I know i would be compromising safety here if i as is it possible to do it without a relay.

So my question here is, does anyone know the brand, type, power rating and decibel value for the stock horn used in an Alto K10? And, is there a suitable horn which is louder than this stock horn but can be used on the same relay.

Apologies in advance if my questions are silly

Thanks
If your stock horns are like those in my 2015 Swift petrol, they might consume 3.5-4 amps a piece. Mine had some standard sized Hella units. I have not tested their load but I am assuming that much because I have noticed that most Hella horns draw higher current than the competition like Minda and Roots. Best thing to do is connect a multimeter in series with one horn (leads should be connected in the 10A socket and the knob set to 10A before you connect the device) and honk. Most OE horns do not put out much electrical noise so you should get a consistent reading. For example, my Hella Supertone and Spice Tone horns were checked and they consume the specified current.

As for connecting aftermarket horns in stock wiring, first it depends on the readings you get from the above test. Second, the Roots Vibrosonic and Roots Megasonic consume 4 amps per horn. Bigger horns can put out big sound with low current because of their internal volume.

Warranty should not be an issue. I took my car with Hella Supertone horns (with custom wiring) and nobody said anything. If you are concerned, just remove the aftermarket horns before you visit a SVC. I did that initially but removing the bumper, unfastening the horns and undoing the wiring takes me a while. I don't do that anymore. But if there is an electrical issue, remove everything before you approach the SVC.

Sorry for the long post. Hope it helps, though.
Darth Sid is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 19:32   #1563
BHPian

I changed the stock horns of my Elite i20 with Minda jazz trumpets. The shopkeeper was sure that the stock wiring would take the load of trumpets, but i insisted on an relay.

During installation, i noticed that the ground terminal of relay was connected to the negative terminal of the battery, instead of being connected to chassis. Is this alright/acceptable?
Raghav_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 20:12   #1564
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandary View Post
What are the legal limitations in terms of decibels for a horn in Bangalore city? Has anyone been pulled up by the authorities for a loud sounding horn?
Anything not stock and be ready to be pulled up if caught. Dunno about air-horns, but the Roots Megasonics are pretty loud and irritating [redgrill is loud, but not irritating, hence folks don't move]
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2016, 09:58   #1565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
ground terminal of relay was connected to the negative terminal of the battery, instead of being connected to chassis. Is this alright/acceptable?
This is the problem with most electricians.

I don't see an issue here but am more inclined to see the connection to a chassis bolt.

You could switch the relay ground terminal yourself to an existing unpainted point on the chassis.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2016, 15:32   #1566
BHPian

Anyone knows of an online retailer that sells original roots windtone dual horns please. I had installed them from an accessory shop and the diaphragm blew in 2 months - and the shopkeeper insisted on replacing with a new one rather than repairing within warranty, think it was a counterfeit hence want to buy directly from an authorised online retailer
digitalnirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 23:06   #1567
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Anyone knows of an online retailer that sells original roots windtone dual horns please. I had installed them from an accessory shop and the diaphragm blew in 2 months - and the shopkeeper insisted on replacing with a new one rather than repairing within warranty, think it was a counterfeit hence want to buy directly from an authorised online retailer
http://www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_...ctronics%2C315
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 12:09   #1568
Senior - BHPian

Default Fines for needless honking

The Govt. is planning to fine drivers for needless honking:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/52965866.cms

Rs 5000 penalty for multi tone or air horns.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2016, 12:01   #1569
Senior - BHPian

Is there a way to figure out which set of horns 2010 Swift LDi came out with, if at all each of them had the same horn type.

My Swift that was stolen had one of the best horn setups for a stock car. However, it being gone now, there's no way to figure out which set that was. I had driven it in all terrains, all conditions, rain/snow/dirt/dust and the horns were as loud as they were on day one.

It was washed at all sorts of places with direct spray to the horns but they never gave up. The horns weren't Skoda type but a little on the shrill side. I'm not sure but I vaguely remember them being red color maybe, not very sure though.

One thing is for sure that they were waterproof else they would've gone kaput in the 6 years of rough usage.

EDIT: Or maybe they weren't water proof but just hidden well from direct water/rain sprays maybe? I just heard Hella Sharptones and the sound was more like it.

Last edited by fine69 : 4th September 2016 at 12:05.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 12:18   #1570
BHPian

Hey guys,

I have booked a Polo GT TSi and I intend on replacing the horn with the older horn that used to be available on the models prior to the facelift.

Can anyone help me figure out what model of the horn would it be ? Is it possible to source it through AliExpress ?

Also, if there are other horns from the VW group that sound better, kindly suggest the same.
shoaib3030 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 09:24   #1571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoaib3030 View Post
Hey guys,

I have booked a Polo GT TSi and I intend on replacing the horn with the older horn that used to be available on the models prior to the facelift.

Can anyone help me figure out what model of the horn would it be ? Is it possible to source it through AliExpress ?

Also, if there are other horns from the VW group that sound better, kindly suggest the same.
The earlier cars used to have two horns, twin fanfare in VAG terminology. The part numbers from VW's parts database: 6R0 951 223 A, 6R0 951 221 A.

Your car would most likely have just one of these, and likely the earlier of the mentioned horns. You should confirm the same at the dealership, by having the spare parts people look up the part number of the horn installed in your car.

You can choose to get the horn, you need, through an online store. The wire and the connector for the second horn would most likely be there already, zip tied near the right fog lamp.

Last edited by halfbytecode : 3rd November 2016 at 09:39.
halfbytecode is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 09:43   #1572
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Power Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
If you read the last few pages you'd realize that there's enough importance given to a Relay when changing the OEM horn. What is a relay you ask?
Great post, Fine69! Thanks for sharing.

I've moved your post to the opening page of this thread (post #2), so that no one misses it .
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 10:36   #1573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

And this is what I am using since almost 2.5 years now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

With the highway trips your and his car sees, it is important to get a horn which is heard [when the need arises]
I got the windtone installed in his Swift on Thursday as he had a highway running of ~ 300kms on Friday and the first thing he did was, treat me to a lovely biryani.

The driving had become frustrated for him with people not moving to give the Swift its required space and he had to continuously beep to get the attention of HCV's & buses, now, no longer required. A slight tweet is enough. He is super happy.

Thanks Parag Bhai for the feedback on Roots
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 23:50   #1574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoaib3030 View Post
Hey guys,

Let me know how this works out for you. I am in a similar position with my Polo. Reports here suggest that VW either refuse to do this job (due to govt. regulations on horns) or charge around 2-3k.

I am considering something like the product in the link below instead.

http://www.amazon.in/Roots-Original-...ive&sr=1-2#Ask
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 00:23   #1575
BHPian

Hi there,

I am planning to change the stock dual horn in my Duster AWD to Stebel TM80/2 Magnum. By the way, Stebel Italia has a really neat website, (here's the link: http://www.stebel.it/stebel/products...ipologia=auto:) it lets you listen to the sound, on windows pcs at least. It didn't work on my iphone and android phone though. Has any of the fellow duster owners tried doing this. I'm getting it at a good discount on Amazon, hence do not wiah to lose out, but at the same time, can not imagine if there's enough room to mount the new horn and suitable relay. Also, going thru' the earlier posts from experienced guys, I feel I should change to suitable wiring too. I guess it's not too bulky like the regular Nautilus. Any inputs will be much appreciated.

Cheers!
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote