Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 16th April 2009, 19:12   #586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I picked up roots windtone from GP road, spent total of 900 including installation. Its shrill enough for most stubborn two wheelers and autos! I wonder what nautilus would be like, because i get freaked by the roots horn itself! Very much an anti horn use guy.
Does this one requires a relay to be installed?
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 19:30   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffe View Post
I picked up the Stebel Nautilus in April '08 from Victory Automobiles-GP Road-got it wired at A to Z Horns,Pudupet.The horn costed 775 and fitting 225.Price of the horn must have dropped now.Will check price by weekend if someone needs it.It is the loudest passenger car air horn at 139db
Do let us know what the current price is. From what I'm aware, the prices in the import have gone up due to the difference in $ rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ555 View Post
thanx. i picked it from one other shop for Rs:675 & installation costed just Rs:80, yesterday suddenly the horn didnt work nor the indicators functioned, hoped the fuse would have blown & showd my car to maruti dealer who also said fuse is out, replaced 2 fuses' but gets blowed,
stebel was connected with the same wiring that powered the company horn which was removed, will a cutout solve this issue ?

thanx wolfee, 4 days back i picked it up for 675/- in gp rd & got it installed from my electrician in kilpauk, the prob that bi faced recently is the fuse gets blown & indicators dont function..

hi, did the same to my swift, fitted stebel nautilus, but the fuse gets blown often along with indicators disfunctioning, hella on other hand is superb & has not harmed any other setup, do u face issues with stebel?
I hope you've bought a genuine piece. Did you get a Cutout or Relay with the horn? A 4 point relay is always provided with a Stebel Nautilus, which you should install to prevent a blown fuse and full power to the horn.

There is certaily something wrong with the wiring that you get done!
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 20:55   #588
Senior - BHPian

Please install a relay with the horn.

What do you imagine will happen if you connect an 1.5 ton A/C to the lines that are supposed to power a ceiling fan?

You're going to damage the horn pad if you keep replacing fuses. Or worse.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 10:53   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Do let us know what the current price is. From what I'm aware, the prices in the import have gone up due to the difference in $ rate.

I hope you've bought a genuine piece. Did you get a Cutout or Relay with the horn? A 4 point relay is always provided with a Stebel Nautilus, which you should install to prevent a blown fuse and full power to the horn.

There is certaily something wrong with the wiring that you get done!
thanx guys. im getting the wiring checked by MASS. the local electrician has not fixed the relay' he took the same wiring used for the stock horn & connected stebel to it, he said relay not required, pl suggest if stebel requires a thicker gauge wire & cutout...
RJ555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 11:29   #590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanx guys. im getting the wiring checked by MASS. the local electrician has not fixed the relay' he took the same wiring used for the stock horn & connected stebel to it, he said relay not required, pl suggest if stebel requires a thicker gauge wire & cutout...
I got a 4pin relay with the Stebel Magnum. But the installer directly plonked it in place of the stock horns. Guess I'll get the relay installed. But will MASS help me out with after market installations ?
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 11:30   #591
Senior - BHPian

Read the previous post and Stebel's own warning notices on their website and the horn packaging. The Nautilus uses quite a bit more current than your OE squeakers and without a relay, you are going to overload the horn circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
I got a 4pin relay with the Stebel Magnum. But the installer directly plonked it in place of the stock horns. Guess I'll get the relay installed. But will MASS help me out with after market installations ?
Depends on your relationship with the MASS.

Face it guys, you're skimping on a Rs. 200/- wiring job (they even provide the relay for you, in the box). When that horn eventually blows through the OE wiring, it's gonna cost you thousands and your electrical warranty. Don't skimp on it.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 17th April 2009 at 11:32.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 13:32   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Please advice me which one to go for?? I need a loud sharp horn

The bosch looked like this

http://rb-aa.bosch.com/boaa-sg/kidow...1&attrv_id=871
Dont buy the silver BOSCH (first on the bottom row). I fixed one on my Skoda a couple of years back, its loud but the sound is not sharp and is kind of bass heavy. This was creating a booming noise inside the car. GO for the Hella red grill.
Jai3033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 17:03   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Read the previous post and Stebel's own warning notices on their website and the horn packaging. The Nautilus uses quite a bit more current than your OE squeakers and without a relay, you are going to overload the horn circuit.

Depends on your relationship with the MASS.

Face it guys, you're skimping on a Rs. 200/- wiring job (they even provide the relay for you, in the box). When that horn eventually blows through the OE wiring, it's gonna cost you thousands and your electrical warranty. Don't skimp on it.
Very well said, Arun.

Guys, please DO NOT skip on the installation of a relay! It's a crucial part of the installation, to ensure that the horn blows with full power and does not burn your car wiring or fuses.

RJ555 - You can use a thicker gauge wiring for this. Since the Nautilus requires more juice, a thicker straw will ensure more pleasure! (A horrendously bad joke I know!)
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 23:48   #594
BHPian

Hi,
I have bought the Hella red grills and I wanted to install my self. I am bit confused on the connection parts. Though I am clear about the connections on the relay and other parts. My doubt is on the horn itself. I am not able to make which is positive and which is negative. It has some number imprinted on those terminals. Somewhere in this forum I have read is the terminal which is close to the knob on the back is positive. Is it true. Please clarify as I would like do it this weekend.

\Raju
vrrraju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 11:42   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrrraju View Post
Hi,
I have bought the Hella red grills and I wanted to install my self. I am bit confused on the connection parts. Though I am clear about the connections on the relay and other parts. My doubt is on the horn itself. I am not able to make which is positive and which is negative. It has some number imprinted on those terminals. Somewhere in this forum I have read is the terminal which is close to the knob on the back is positive. Is it true. Please clarify as I would like do it this weekend.

\Raju
The terminal closest to the the tone adjusting screw is the positive. Please use a good quality relay (Bosch) with Finolex 65 series wires and see how it sounds !!

Also please go thorough the following post which would help you in installation http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1144458 (Power Horns!)

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Last edited by adheesh : 18th April 2009 at 11:45.
adheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 12:04   #596
BHPian

I installed roots megsonic HT and LT twin (same found in state vehicles) with a relay from existing horn and a change over switch. The setup can be removed by just removing the horns and wires so that the OEm horn which is crap (my pulsar has better horn) can be retained.
The horn is loud enough to scare two wheelers .The entire setup cost was around 2200 including relay,wire,and installation.
bullboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 13:02   #597
BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Very well said, Arun.

Guys, please DO NOT skip on the installation of a relay! It's a crucial part of the installation, to ensure that the horn blows with full power and does not burn your car wiring or fuses.

RJ555 - You can use a thicker gauge wiring for this. Since the Nautilus requires more juice, a thicker straw will ensure more pleasure! (A horrendously bad joke I know!)
Thanx ankit & othrs, got the relay fixed with mains direct from battery through relay, fuses are safe & hope stebel will scream for long...
RJ555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 16:38   #598
BHPian

Thanks Adheesh, I will be using the Hello Relay which has been supplied with the horns. I will be using the finolex cables too.

I will post the installation pics after I am done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
The terminal closest to the the tone adjusting screw is the positive. Please use a good quality relay (Bosch) with Finolex 65 series wires and see how it sounds !!

Also please go thorough the following post which would help you in installation http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1144458 (Power Horns!)

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
vrrraju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 13:12   #599
BHPian

I checked price of windtone [SIZE=1][COLOR=#ff6600]W 90[/COLOR][/SIZE] in fraidabad they are 400 per pair.
mandyrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 12:45   #600
BHPian

I had fixed my Zen with Stebel GP2 series and the relay that came in the box.One evening in peak hour traffic the relay jammed and the horn went off-full blast.All on the road turned around to see the driver whose horn got jammed-so was the cop.Quickly popped the hood-pulled out the wires to the horn and drove off before the cop could get his hands on me.Later replaced the Stebel relay with a PMP cutout-worked fine after that.
I just realised yesterday that my Fiesta with the Nautilus air horn has been fitted without the relay-so back on OE horns till I get the relay and switch done.
Question for the gurus-with the experience of the stock Stebel relay getting jammed-what do I use for my car now?Bosch relay,PMP cutout or the Stebel relay?

Quote:
Thanx ankit & othrs, got the relay fixed with mains direct from battery through relay, fuses are safe & hope stebel will scream for long...
RJ555-have you fixed the Nautilus series on your ride?What fuse was used?Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th April 2009 at 13:00. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Wolffe is offline   Reply With Quote