Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2009, 05:47   #811
BHPian
 
sudharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 281
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Horn Locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Better to use some sleeves to protect the wire.
You have a FI engine which runs much hotter than a normally aspirated engine. You have located the horns just above the exhaust manifold where the temperature is maximum. It will not only affect the wires but also the plastics in the Horn itself. Better to relocate it to another location away from the exhaust manifold.

Last edited by sudharma : 13th December 2009 at 05:50. Reason: Adding more info.
sudharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 11:50   #812
Senior - BHPian
 
ImmortalZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,126
Thanked: 95 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Sad to know that. I'll send you ROOTS or HELLA this time!
They just came back to life. Let's see how long it lasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
You have a FI engine which runs much hotter than a normally aspirated engine. You have located the horns just above the exhaust manifold where the temperature is maximum. It will not only affect the wires but also the plastics in the Horn itself. Better to relocate it to another location away from the exhaust manifold.

Dude, that 800 is not turbo charged. What are you on about?
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 02:18   #813
BHPian
 
jayded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TVM, HYD
Posts: 510
Thanked: 302 Times
Default

Hi Friends,

I would need a small clarification here.
I recently changed the stock horns on my Santro Xing to Bosch Symphony ones (The Skoda sounding set)
The current rating of the new horn is 5A and I have no clue regarding that of the stock ones. The new horns were installed at a reputed car accessories shop in my city, in plug 'n play (i.e., without any additional relay), just replacing the old ones with the new ones.
My concern is that in this thread I see relays being strictly recommended for all installations.
I had asked the guy who installed the horn if I would need a relay, for which he said it was not at all required.
Can anyone help me out here as to whether I should be installing an additional relay for the safety of the electricals?
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 21:10   #814
BHPian
 
Twiny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cochin-Bangalore
Posts: 297
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

While swapping Stock horn with Stebel Air Horn in i10, even though I had purchased seperate Horn Relay (the relay that comes in the kit won't suit) they never used any additional relay as the stock wiring has got the Relay
Twiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 21:28   #815
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 266
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Hi Friends,

I would need a small clarification here.
I recently changed the stock horns on my Santro Xing to Bosch Symphony ones (The Skoda sounding set)
The current rating of the new horn is 5A and I have no clue regarding that of the stock ones. The new horns were installed at a reputed car accessories shop in my city, in plug 'n play (i.e., without any additional relay), just replacing the old ones with the new ones.
My concern is that in this thread I see relays being strictly recommended for all installations.
I had asked the guy who installed the horn if I would need a relay, for which he said it was not at all required.
Can anyone help me out here as to whether I should be installing an additional relay for the safety of the electricals?
As per my opinion it isnt required as both are likely to draw similar current. All modern cars come with horn relays AFAIK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
While swapping Stock horn with Stebel Air Horn in i10, even though I had purchased seperate Horn Relay (the relay that comes in the kit won't suit) they never used any additional relay as the stock wiring has got the Relay
It should depend on the current rating of your existing horn and the Stebel.
WanderNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 21:33   #816
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 266
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Sad to know that. I'll send you ROOTS or HELLA this time!
Hey Ankit, good to see that you are helping everyone so much. I owe it to you for my Nautilus too because I couldnt find it anywhere in Delhi and ultimately I got it from Suman Sir (this one was sourced by you). I still havnt used mine and what is stopping me is that once I get used to it will I be able to source a replacement when it will die as all air horns have very limited life.
WanderNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 23:01   #817
BHPian
 
Twiny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cochin-Bangalore
Posts: 297
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

My NHC is fitted with Roots VibroMax Horns. Thinking of upgrading to higher AH battery when the stock battery dies. Which one will retro fit in NHC, without much change. If anybody has done... input please
Twiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 04:03   #818
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 266
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
My NHC is fitted with Roots VibroMax Horns. Thinking of upgrading to higher AH battery when the stock battery dies. Which one will retro fit in NHC, without much change. If anybody has done... input please
Retrofit what? Battery / horns?
WanderNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 05:39   #819
BHPian
 
sudharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 281
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post

Dude, that 800 is not turbo charged. What are you on about?
You don't need Turbo Charging for the engine to run hotter. Fuel Injected Engines (with catalytic Converters) normally works at slightly higher temperatures for optimum efficiency, so the exhaust temperature will be much higher than a normally aspirated engine and the subject horns are fixed next to the Exhaust Manifold.

Search the Internet if you need more info.
sudharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 12:17   #820
BHPian
 
jayded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TVM, HYD
Posts: 510
Thanked: 302 Times
Default

@WanderNomad

Thanks for the info man. My only concern is that similar horns (like Roots windtone super, WIndtone trio etc.) draws 4.0 A while this one (and also new Roots W-90) draws 5.0 A. The stock horns which I removed doesn't indicate the current either, so a bit confused.

Anyone has any info as to how we could find the current rating of the OEM horns? The vehicle in question is a Xing
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 13:01   #821
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 266
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Anyone has any info as to how we could find the current rating of the OEM horns? The vehicle in question is a Xing
Cant really comment but I dont think there should be a substantial differnce in wattage / current rating.
WanderNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 13:48   #822
BHPian
 
mustang89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: new delhi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
You don't need Turbo Charging for the engine to run hotter. Fuel Injected Engines (with catalytic Converters) normally works at slightly higher temperatures for optimum efficiency, so the exhaust temperature will be much higher than a normally aspirated engine and the subject horns are fixed next to the Exhaust Manifold.

Search the Internet if you need more info.
dude i think you are confusing Fuel Injection and Forced Induction.a forced induction car is compared to NA one while fuel injection is with carburettor one.Even a fuel injection one can be naturally aspirated.correct me if i am wrong.
mustang89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 17:28   #823
BHPian
 
Twiny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cochin-Bangalore
Posts: 297
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
Retrofit what? Battery / horns?
Its Battery. Is it advisable ?
Twiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 20:25   #824
BHPian
 
sathyaprakash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 446
Thanked: 44 Times
Default

Any one who has fixed the extra horns in ANHC pls post the pictures as i am confused where to put them thks iin advance.
sathyaprakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 06:40   #825
BHPian
 
sudharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 281
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang89 View Post
dude i think you are confusing Fuel Injection and Forced Induction.a forced induction car is compared to NA one while fuel injection is with carburettor one.Even a fuel injection one can be naturally aspirated.correct me if i am wrong.
What I meant was Fuel Injection and Carburetted engines.
Thanks for pointing out the error. Just "slip of the tounge". Sorry about that.
sudharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Best & Safe location for Power Horns mithun Modifications & Accessories 4 30th July 2013 10:40
Yippie - reverse horns = illegal normally_crazy Shifting gears 68 9th May 2011 13:45
Steble Nautilus Horns sounds great! willy Modifications & Accessories 20 10th August 2006 13:03
Will the Air Horns last as longer as Electric Horns ? mithun Modifications & Accessories 4 15th June 2006 11:05
Stebel Nautilus air horns John Technical Stuff 3 11th April 2006 13:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks