Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 4th February 2010, 14:37   #826
BHPian

Default Honk honk

The single OE horn of my newly-acquired Santro was pathetic. So:

The newly installed Roots Windtone in their present position.
Name:  DSC01637.jpg
Views: 2285
Size:  76.1 KB
Name:  DSC01638.jpg
Views: 2249
Size:  86.8 KB

The slot where the OE horn was, green circle. The open slot, where I want the second one to be, red circle. It was not placed there because those guys did not have an exact matching bolt, so the next time I go to the A*S*S, I am going to ask them to place the second one there.
Name:  DSC01639.jpg
Views: 2193
Size:  100.0 KB

The box:
Name:  DSC01641.jpg
Views: 1923
Size:  53.8 KB
Name:  DSC01642.jpg
Views: 2057
Size:  61.1 KB

They just charged the box price, Rs 490/-, including installation (not much of an effort, IMHO).
darklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 15:03   #827
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

sometimes at low speed my Stebel magnum TM80 sounds like cow (!) which scare people. I needed to convince them that I did not mean to scare them!!!
Latheesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 21:56   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
They just charged the box price, Rs 490/-, including installation (not much of an effort, IMHO).
darklord, you didn't have to fit a relay? The Roots Windtones's are 4 A, right?
RufRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 22:37   #829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufRoc View Post
darklord, you didn't have to fit a relay? The Roots Windtones's are 4 A, right?
They were reluctant to fit a relay, so, I sort of put my foot down and insisted on one; but for some strange reason, the installation with relay did not work. When they tried it without the relay, it was working just fine. Since I am no expert, I concluded:

1. There is no need for a relay.
or
2. They were incompetent.

In either case, the horn was working fine, so, I am letting it slide for now. If any problems crop up, I am going to take it to A*S*S.

Yes, I think it is 4 A, not from the box (nothing on it other than 12 V), but from their website.

Oh, and they quoted Rs. 70/- for the relay.
darklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 13:28   #830

[quote=ksethuram;236290]In my experience there is none to beat Roots MEGASONIC. It makes a humming sound prevail in ear's of bystanders for a few seconds (after so much search Identified it as the most irrititating horn).quote]

I second that. got one installed in my ANHC as the stock horns were lame.
I am no expert in this and the guy who installed it did not install an additional relay. The horn is working fine. Just curious to know if it is required
panga007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 09:38   #831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
sometimes at low speed my Stebel magnum TM80 sounds like cow (!) which scare people. I needed to convince them that I did not mean to scare them!!!
Latheesh, I have also noticed the same issue with my TM80 pair. At lower engine RPMs or with AC/stereo running, the sound does change! Do you have the Stebel relay or a Indian relay (Roots/PMP) fitted? I have the Stebel one and am wondering if that is the reason.
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 11:22   #832
BHPian

Guys, I am going in for Hella Red Grills and am considering a melody maker with it.
I wanted to know if the Roots 7 in 1 or the 3 in 1 have the option of both high and low blowing at the same time (which is effectively the normal horn without melody maker)?
harsha.cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 15:12   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.cs1 View Post
Guys, I am going in for Hella Red Grills and am considering a melody maker with it.
I wanted to know if the Roots 7 in 1 or the 3 in 1 have the option of both high and low blowing at the same time (which is effectively the normal horn without melody maker)?
Hi guys,
Just returning from Subhash Automobiles off JC road. Have the answer to my own query:
The melody maker has the option of normal mode (high low simultaneous). That apart it has a fast and a slow and 3 different sound patterns under each. The melody maker cost me Rs. 130.

Hella Red Grills cost me Rs. 985. And the switches to toggle between OE horn and red grills cost me Rs. 22, if it helps.
Subhash Auto is the distributor for Roots. The shop is in 2nd cross, journalist colony (9844021972)
Old 6th February 2010, 16:13   #834
Senior - BHPian

Guy can you people let me know the price of Hella RED grill and Bosch (that big one) in chennai.

One quited 1850 and another 1350 for hella.

I had hella and steble .Unfortunately steble worked only for a week.750 bugs went waste.

Now hella stoped working after a year
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 21:59   #835
BHPian

Recently fit Roots Spider Eco on my Dad's Manza, total cost Rs 550. Quite a decent horn, not too loud but effective ... also have it on my Swift.
RufRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 12:12   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
One quited 1850 and another 1350 for hella.
Hella Red Grill MRP is Rs. 1350. It comes with a relay and a 6 month warranty. You can however get it for Rs. 1000 or so.
Cheers,
Harsha
Old 12th February 2010, 20:54   #837
BHPian

have been using hella red grills for more than a year now.they are quite good.but sometimes i feel there is need for something louder..
mustang89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 12:46   #838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Please suggest a reasonably loud horn for my Vista Quadrajet. Also pl be kind enough to post a picture since the Tata service centre people are saying there is not enough space for a good horn. BTW, the default small one is behind the grill.
@janitha:Have You got fixed Horn?Do We Need New Relay to Fix Good Highway Horns?

I am looking for a Good Horn for Highway Usage.Which ROOTS Horn is Recommended?
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 13:48   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
@janitha:Have You got fixed Horn?Do We Need New Relay to Fix Good Highway Horns?

I am looking for a Good Horn for Highway Usage.Which ROOTS Horn is Recommended?
Yes, done several months back. It is Roots Vibrasonic. Had been using the same for my earlier cars too without any problems. Got them fixed by Tata service centre but bought from outside since they had no good horn in stock. Still working fine. Fixed behind the bumpers using relay.
janitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 16:49   #840
Senior - BHPian

@janitha:I am also considering Roots Vibrasonic(costs Rs1000 or so for High-low pair).Thanks for the Feedback.But ,Fixing behind the Bumpers,We Need to Remove the Right Side Head Light Assembly ?Do You have any Switch for the Car's Regular Horn and Roots Horns?Where did they Fixed the Switches in Dashboard?It seems no such options in Vista!
--
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote