Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 9th March 2010, 20:40   #856
BHPian

Guys, what horn do you suggest for a Zen (not Estillo)? I ask this because my horn makes a funny out of tune sound when pressed for a long time (especially with AC). The one I have currently is the stock one (you know, the one that goes peeeeep!!). Its pretty lame and was hoping to get something louder/classier. Any suggestions? And can I get them done at the local Maruti Service Center (MARS, Sanjaynagar). Please help!
rjalihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 16:23   #857
BHPian

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can buy stebel horns in Delhi? I did find one on eBay Global EasyBuy, but it costs INR 3600, which is way higher than the price mentioned on this thread.

Cheers

Nitin
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 21:49   #858
BHPian

Exclamation Stebel BP BPA Three Trumpet

Disclaimer - I have a toggle switch which changes between OE horn and my power horn. I absolutely never use the bigger horn anywhere except for highways. I don't use it if I am near to a illage/ town on the highway. I use it only because the OE horn doesn't have enough throw or pitch neede on the highways.

I had the Stebel Nautilus for last 8/9 months and it has gone kaput now. So, I am in the market for a new one. As such I wanted to replace it with the same make. But, upon quite a detailed survey today at important auto parts market of Mumbai, I found that it's completely taken off the selves.

In its place the Stebel BP BPA (three trumpet) air horn has come. It costs around 800-900 (depending upon shop and bargain). Price of nautilus compact is between 650-750.

The link is here -

STEBEL S.p.A. - horns

The sound is totally different from nautilus. It's like the highway trucks - two/ three tone shrill musical. It ofcourse doesn't have the melody or sweetness of the nautilus but is more shrill and I feel higher pitch.

Now to install itr in safari, one needs a lot of brackets etc as the trumpets are quite unmanagable and not very small.
So, installation would be around 500 bucks.
The best deal found yet is 1400 all inclusive. Maybe I can sqeeze another 50 out of it, but that's it.

Now, they ofcourse don't provide any warranty. So, my thought is, if it konks, and it will konk, I will be have to redo the whole thing. As with nautilus, this may also go off the market and be replaced by something of different shape or size. So, I wouldn't be able to reuse any of my wiring or brackets.

Now, given that there is absolutely no other pressure horns available for 12V vehicles (Skoda types are a joke! - IMO) -

1. Should I spend in this?

2. Is there any electromagnetic horn that could do this job?

By Job I mean this -

I am at say 100-110kmph. There's a car 300 meters ahead - travelling at say 70 kmph. The car has glasses rolled up and music systme playing loudly inside it. Given the speed difference, I have 36 seconds before kissing his bumper. So, my horn needs to reach the car, penetrate his glass and still be louder than the stereo to draw his attention. And, also it should be shrill enough to tell the driver that his urgent attention is required.
(Pardon the long description, but this is a scenario I am sure all of us have faced on interstates).
sen2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 23:15   #859
BHPian

@Sen: why not go for double roots horn?

they should come at a thousand bucks for 2 pieces. Installation 50 bucks (atleast here in Bengal). You save around 350 bucks.

they are easy to install.
durability is longer than stebel.
can get it repaired by any good mechanic at low costs.
they are loud enough for any situations in highway and also pleasant to the ears unlike pressure horns.
also, pressure horns won't gel with any car. they are meant for heavy vehicles.
roots is a very reliable brand.
arijit.co.in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 23:37   #860
BHPian

Hi Arijit,

Thanks a ton for your reply.

I did check out the roots collection. There are basically three types available.

1. The basic electromagnetic - Rs. 500-700 a pair. Sound is weaker than my OE horn.

2. The Windotone Type (or Skoda Type) - Rs. 600 ~ a pair. Sound is slightly louder than my OE horn, but not louder enough to take all the pain of modification.

3. The Large Electromagnetic - Rs. 2200 a pair (or there about). This one also comes with 6 months waranty. Sound output as per spec sheet is I think 110-115db.

Now, the 3rd option makes sense, except for two problems. One, the note is same -- "pnee... pneep... pneee", same as OE.
Second, the cost.

Hella also has competetor products in all three segements, costing more or less same.

Another lesser known brand, Anmol also has products in these dimentions, 25-30% cheaper than Hella/ Roots.

Now, comes Stebel.
I prefer it for these reasons -

1. Sound is louder
2. I just love the truck horn notes (the musical types).
3. Pressure horns albeit illegal are an exotica. (IMO, that is). Given the disclaimer, I think I can indulge myself a little bit.

Problem is their reliability. One part of me asks me to buy the Hella/ Root electromagnetic at 2200 as that would prove cheaper in the longer run.
On the other hand, I love the pressure horn sound.

Old 22nd March 2010, 23:51   #861
Senior - BHPian

Post pics of them installed if you can.
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 23:54   #862
BHPian

@Sen: I would strongly suggest you to go for roots (electromagnetic or not, is upto you). You will really cherish your choice after a while.
arijit.co.in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 00:17   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Post pics of them installed if you can.
OK... surely. I'll probably get the job done by this week. Will post detailed pics (as much as I can).

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijit.co.in View Post
@Sen: I would strongly suggest you to go for roots (electromagnetic or not, is upto you). You will really cherish your choice after a while.
Hmm.. ok. Let me check up roots options once more.
Old 23rd March 2010, 00:29   #864
Senior - BHPian

Oops just noticed that you are still deciding . I think you should try out the air horns. Recently got rammed by a tempo even though I was blaring the horn (roots vibrasonic) at him. Doesn't look like regular car type horns are working. Try driving at 70 with the windows down and listen to the amount of wind noise around
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 00:40   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Oops just noticed that you are still deciding . I think you should try out the air horns. Recently got rammed by a tempo even though I was blaring the horn (roots vibrasonic) at him. Doesn't look like regular car type horns are working. Try driving at 70 with the windows down and listen to the amount of wind noise around

My point exactly.
One can easily imagine the effect of wind noise + Music system (Probably) at 100 kmph.
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:26   #866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can buy stebel horns in Delhi? I did find one on eBay Global EasyBuy, but it costs INR 3600, which is way higher than the price mentioned on this thread.

Cheers

Nitin
Check with Rana at Driven in East of Kailash (South Delhi).
nkapoor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 23:21   #867
Senior - BHPian

Default need price for Hella Redgrill /Bosch

Hi People

Am looking for replacing my hella redgrill and am confused as to which one i should go for Hella or Bosch.

Please suggest me.

There are 2 horns in bosch i am attaching two pic of those
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Attached Images

joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 23:51   #868
Senior - BHPian

josh, why you want to replace the "red grill"??
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 02:29   #869
Senior - BHPian

I went to the market today and picked up the 'ooga' horn for my zen (since my Fiesta doesn't allow me to install a new horn under her hood :-P)
I have had a fascination with having multilple horns in my cars since I was a kid, and Dad actually made it mandatory to install an auxiliary horn as soon as the car would be brought back from the showroom. Alongwith headlight upgrade, sun film, seat covers and wheel caps, a second horn (switchable to stock on demand by a two way switch in the cabin) was always installed ever since my Dad's 'dukkar' days. He had an OOGA horn installed that time (35 years ago) and history repeated itself today. LOL.
I have used almost all the possible horns available in the market now, and the only ones I am yet to own are the Hella Red Grills and the Train horn in my cars ;-)
In fact, I was almost going to pull the plug on a REAL train horn in my car today, but better sense prevailed, so did the realization dawn on me that that behemoth wouldn't fit into the engine bay. AND MIND YOU, I don't like blaring away like those illiterates on the roads these days. I like having a couple of horns in my 'arsenal' to listen to the sweet (or sometimes brash and embarrassingly loud) tones of different horns installed in my car. Not many would understand this outside of team-bhp, and I am sure even lots of Tbhp members might feel I am a whacko. But I love power horns and I will never stick with a 'stock' horn for too much time.

PS: I love those long trumpet horns (BPA3) from Stebel, and I might just buy them again for my Zen when I am bored of the OOGA ;-) The nautilus served my 800 and Esteem very well and so are the Mico windtones.

Cheers to all the horn lovers
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 08:19   #870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
josh, why you want to replace the "red grill"??

Hi Recently my car was hit by a bike coming from left side road.in the impact my bumper horn,fender all got damaged (maruti you see) .So one of the horn was jammed and is not working.Even the steble naulitus broke ;-(
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote