Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 23rd March 2011, 19:54   #1051
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Power Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_rider View Post
Check out Driven in East Of Kailash. They have them. One word of caution though; you'll be lucky if they last you a year. I'm on my third set of Nautilus in as many years. Still, nothing else sounds like that!!! And yes, it's LOUD; VERY LOUD !!!!

cheers
Wow!! will check with them ASAP!!

Thanks a lot!

Should I take them to H.A.S.S. for installation, as Shubz mentioned?
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 21:08   #1052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
@cityvic:
Remove the power supply from the working horn, and turn the adjusting screw/nut on the non-working horn in very small increments (roughly 1/16 or so) and then try the horn for the sound.
Gentlemen,
First week of last January I had some work at Jamshedpur for a few days. I was actually staying at my freind's house at a small town called Galudih, 35 KM ahead of Jamshedpur. I took my car from Calcutta (2005 Tata Indigo-Petrol) and for three days I used to commute daily from Galudih to Jamshedpur. One day during my visit there, while driving on NH 33, I suddenly found that my horn was not working. I searched in the garages on the main road (NH 33) and met one electrical mechanic. He took out the horn and after checking informed me that the horn itself was defective. He showed me that when I pressed the switch, small barely audible tik tik sound was coming out of the horn, but no sound. He took out a screw-driver, made some adjustment on some screw/nut on the horn and told me that it will only work for a few more days. He suggected that it would be better if I change the horn at the earliest.
Since then my old horn was working well and I forgot about the incident but just last week my horn again gave up. This time I had to purchase a new horn (Roots Cleartone) for two hundred and seventy rupees. The new horn is working fine now.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta
rahul4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 21:41   #1053
Senior - BHPian

They would not last if one is a compulsive honker. As the life of the horn is based on the number of cycles the motor runs. I guess the information is available either on the carton pack or on a small leaflet inside the package. Mine is close to 1 year and still strong. (just that I alternate between Hella and Nautilus - as in - I use Nautilus all the time except for a week or two in between just for change)
Shubz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 09:27   #1054
Senior - BHPian

Finally succeeded in finding one!!

But I couldn't get the wiring and the relay with it as 'Driven' didn't have them at that time!

Pls can anyone advise on any specific wiring or relays needed for it?

Thanks!

btw here are some pics!

Power Horns!-abcd0004.jpg
Power Horns!-abcd0006.jpg
Power Horns!-abcd0005.jpg
Power Horns!-abcd0013.jpg
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 01:46   #1055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Finally succeeded in finding one!!

But I couldn't get the wiring and the relay with it as 'Driven' didn't have them at that time!

Pls can anyone advise on any specific wiring or relays needed for it?

Thanks!

btw here are some pics!
These are the ones I got in mine! Very good sound. What wiring? They do give you a relay in the box (electronic - which goes bust very soon) and you may have to buy a PMP relay. There is a wiring diagram on the box or may be a leaflet - not sure. The electrician would be able to figure it out. Problem is - you should find a place to fix it as there is very little space under the hood to place this. I can take pics of how I have fixed on mine if that helps.
Shubz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 21:34   #1056
BHPian

Hi!

I just got a pair of hella premium fitted in my i20. Fits well sounds awesome & sophasticated. I tried my luck with Nautilus but it wasnt fitting in because of its size & lack of space inside. So if anyone of you who faces similar problem & cant get nautilus, can go in for this one.
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 14:29   #1057
BHPian

Got my Xylo's OEM roots horns replaced with Roots windtone over the weekend. The sound isn't extremely loud but serves the purpose. Testing was done with a Six seater, a garbage truck and a yellow plate Indica this morning with successful results!

Cost me total of Rs 650 including installation. Vibrasonic was the other option I tested but wifey did not like the sound and it was costing about 1300 Rs.

I was thinking of using the OEM horns on my RX135 and the brackets are a very good fit. I've been told by my mechanic that the wattage being high (and the RX having a smaller battery, albeit 12 V) it would not run on the bike. Any thoughts from people here?
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 14:37   #1058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
I was thinking of using the OEM horns on my RX135 and the brackets are a very good fit. I've been told by my mechanic that the wattage being high (and the RX having a smaller battery, albeit 12 V) it would not run on the bike. Any thoughts from people here?
I am not a techie.
I have used OEM horn from Alto in my Splendor & horn from Tempo (Force) Excel in TVS Max 100R. I didn't faced any issues with battery or any other electrical stuff, May be because of my limitted (read very very limitted) use of horns.
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 17:34   #1059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
I am not a techie.
I have used OEM horn from Alto in my Splendor & horn from Tempo (Force) Excel in TVS Max 100R. I didn't faced any issues with battery or any other electrical stuff, May be because of my limitted (read very very limitted) use of horns.
I believe the Alto has a single horn and of a lower wattage compared to Xylo's twin pair high wattage ones. In addition, the Splendour battery would be bigger as compared to what the RX has. All these would probably result in the Alto horn working fine.
With the limited usage of the Tempo horn on 100R, I would guess that the sound would be little muted but adequate since the horn is not inside any engine bay.

I will be taking a second opinion from a different mechanic sometime soon - but the first mechanic's logic seems sound (no pun there!).
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 13:31   #1060
knp
BHPian

I got Hella Two tone (black color ones) for 1250/- from reliance autozone and got them installed in my i10. they had used the relay and also, I have put a switch so that I can continue to use my OEM in citi limits.
knp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 22:28   #1061
BHPian

Hello chennai bhp'ians,
I am looking to buy Roots Vibrasonic for my Scorpio. Kindly advice me as to where to get and fit the horns. What will be the price of relay,horns and fitting charges?? Kindly help me out. Thanks

Gk
Gocool2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 13:51   #1062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocool2007 View Post
Hello chennai bhp'ians,
I am looking to buy Roots Vibrasonic for my Scorpio. Kindly advice me as to where to get and fit the horns. What will be the price of relay,horns and fitting charges?? Kindly help me out. Thanks

Gk
You need not to have extra relay for vibrasonic, just replace stock horn. I am using it for my Safari without extra relay and wiring since last year as they have relay in Safari for horn
mandyrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 14:47   #1063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
You need not to have extra relay for vibrasonic, just replace stock horn. I am using it for my Safari without extra relay and wiring since last year as they have relay in Safari for horn
Thanks mandyrana, but I might keep the original horn, so I will install a relay for the roots and put a switch.

Gk
Gocool2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 18:20   #1064
BHPian

I have a peculiar horn which is locally known as the "Wolf horn". Its quite loud and produces a somewhat irritating sound similar to a moaning wolf/dog. It is only to be used if you want to honk in anger to the rash driver who cuts in front of you dangerously. Believe me, it is very effective in sending the message across!

Another equipment I have to retaliate to rash drivers is a button activated exhaust flame thrower which will shoot a two feet long flame from the exhaust.
xander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 10:53   #1065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
I have a peculiar horn which is locally known as the "Wolf horn". ....
Can you post a picture & how much did it cost you, any brand?
Think its the vintage type horn (motor? instead of coil inside). Do keep a distance while blowing it or the scared ones might just run in to you.
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote