Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 9th November 2012, 21:28   #1261
BHPian

Default re: Power Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Got new horns for my Santro Xing!
Bosch Symphony (Skoda/VW sounding).
550/- bucks for the horn, 800/- total (for relay + switch + wiring + labour)!
Made in India, with one year warranty.
Sounds decent. Fresh, compared to the OEM horns I've been listening to for almost 7 years now. Not too loud maybe. But I haven't listened to it from outside the car properly.
Your horns are positioned in a wrong way.
The opening of the trumpet should be placed facing the front of the car, unlike the way it is placed by the side. Atleast that's how the guy fitted it in my Spark.

Won't the switch get damaged soon the way it is placed? Maybe you could drill a small hole for the wiring and place the switch in the empty space besides the steering.
StrangeWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 10:06   #1262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
The opening of the trumpet should be placed facing the front of the car....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
... Use some imagination

Yes, acoustically speaking the trumpets should be facing the front. But I'm not sure which bolt to fix the clamp onto so that it faces forwards.

And the switch is driving me crazy! I'm against drilling the dash for the sake of a switch. Thinking of hiding it behind the dash. Stick it maybe. Doesn't matter how it looks once it's out of sight!
Geo_Ipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 11:58   #1263
BHPian

I also have installed a pair of roots windtone. One is behind the grill, & the second one behind the bumper (LHS).
Mine are facing downwards: Trumpet type opening downwards.
I found overall performance satisfactory. The sound is not exactly directed, it's a bit spread out evenly. What's your recommendation, should i install in a way so that the opening points toward the front?
As per the technician, he installed them in this particular way to save them from water damage.
sudeep11787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2012, 09:57   #1264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep11787 View Post
... save them from water damage.
Point I forgot to mention. The car wash guys just spray water into the engine bay without a concern. Downward facing trumpets come in handy then.
Also, if it is facing forwards through the grille, won't rain water enter the trumpet?
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 16:43   #1265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep11787 View Post
I also have installed a pair of roots windtone. One is behind the grill, & the second one behind the bumper (LHS).
Mine are facing downwards: Trumpet type opening downwards.
I found overall performance satisfactory. The sound is not exactly directed, it's a bit spread out evenly. What's your recommendation, should i install in a way so that the opening points toward the front?
As per the technician, he installed them in this particular way to save them from water damage.
The trumpets should always be facing downwards, or they'll start sounding like a strangled duck the moment rains or a car wash passes by. It's even stated in the installation manual for the Stebel Nautilus airhorns to place it facing downwards, always.
di1in is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2012, 00:00   #1266
BHPian

Yes even i have installed Stebel Nautilus in my Wagon R with the trumpets facing downwards. And I usually cover the trumpets during service/under chassis wash/heavy rains as a precaution to aviod water logging.
Chris_Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2012, 20:45   #1267
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

I have been using Hella Red grill for the last 6years (2years in indica and 4 years in swift)

I replaced the old hella with a new one a month back and the sound wasnt loud enough as it used to be.I thought it must be because of the weak battery and last week battery died and i replaced it but still the sharpness is missing .

My friends polo has a hella and that sounds sharp,what could be the problem? horns are mounted in the same place as my earlier horns ie..one behind each for lamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Xtreme View Post
Yes even i have installed Stebel Nautilus in my Wagon R with the trumpets facing downwards. And I usually cover the trumpets during service/under chassis wash/heavy rains as a precaution to aviod water logging.
Chris I too installed Steble in my swift three years back and you will not believe it,it died off just in a month though it was well insulated from water and it not that loud as the forum says (may be my piece was a faulty one).So it was a Rs 800 waste !!

Last edited by joshguy : 24th November 2012 at 20:53.
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 11:05   #1268
BHPian

Trumpet horns should always face down, if its placed in front of the grill. The reason is when you are moving at good speed incoming air will disturb the trumpet mouth thus making useless when you actually need. See the trumpet location in trains mostly it will be faced down or trumpet is faced towards bogie.
vijaycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 16:53   #1269
BHPian

Team,

Today I went to procure a set of Minda Trumpet horns , the mechanic mentioned that for the SX4 the front bumper needs to be removed to install the horns as the SX4 comes with dual horns as stock.

Could a SX4 owner confirm if the car comes with a set of horns as default due to which the front bumper needs to be removed for replacement/new installation ?

Cheers
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 17:06   #1270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Team,

Today I went to procure a set of Minda Trumpet horns , the mechanic mentioned that for the SX4 the front bumper needs to be removed to install the horns as the SX4 comes with dual horns as stock.

Could a SX4 owner confirm if the car comes with a set of horns as default due to which the front bumper needs to be removed for replacement/new installation ?

Cheers
Yes its a fact that the SX4 does come with dual horns and one has to detach the front bumper in-order to replace/upgrade the stock horns. I recently installed a pair of HITGT horns which come as stock fitment on the Polo/Vento Highline models which our fellow bhpian EPIC was kind enough to procure for me from the VW service center.

Cheers
prince85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 17:09   #1271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
Yes its a fact that the SX4 does come with dual horns and one has to detach the front bumper in-order to replace/upgrade the stock horns. I recently installed a pair of HITGT horns which come as stock fitment on the Polo/Vento Highline models which our fellow bhpian EPIC was kind enough to procure for me from the VW service center.

Cheers
Thanks for the prompt response on this one prince85

Cheers
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 17:32   #1272
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

I replaced my old hella with new ones in end of October 2012 but today i found that it cracked so soon.

does hella redgrill have 6 months warranty?

Please advice if i should go for same redgrill again or Bosch or roots vibrosonic/supersonic?

I need a sharp and loud horn
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 23:04   #1273
BHPian

Hi All,

I had a stebel nautilus in my swift which worked perfectly for almost 3 years and then concked off 2 months back so again brough a new one which didnt even last a month guess this was a fake one. Now I am planning to buy a horn from Bosch or Roots. I have shortlisted Bosch Symphony and Roots wind tone W90, so guys please suggest me which one would be louder and would last longer??

Vijay

Last edited by vijay_k : 15th December 2012 at 23:08.
vijay_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 08:23   #1274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Team,

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post

Cheers
Swift, Swift Dzire, SX4, Ertiga: All have dual horns right inside the front bumper. The easy but long way to replace them is to remove the full bumper.
If your mechanic is able to: You may lift the front of the car, remove the fog lights and the fog light panels in the bumper, and then via some micro-gymnastics he should be able to access the horns, extract them and replace them. A bit like a open surgery v/s laparoscopy surgery. hope this can help someone
latentpotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 16:28   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Swift, Swift Dzire, SX4, Ertiga: All have dual horns right inside the front bumper. The easy but long way to replace them is to remove the full bumper.
If your mechanic is able to: You may lift the front of the car, remove the fog lights and the fog light panels in the bumper, and then via some micro-gymnastics he should be able to access the horns, extract them and replace them. A bit like a open surgery v/s laparoscopy surgery. hope this can help someone
Thanks latentpotential

I performed an Open surgery today by myself and replaced the stock horns with Minda Trumpets

The overall job of removing and fitting back the bumper was the easiest thing to do , just 11 bolts/screw in total and 2 plastic locks.

With the bumper out of the way , one has all the time to place the horns at ease and test , I fixed the Minda's at the same location as stock with the stock wiring also.

The trumpets comes with a small harness to fix them up parallely which wasnt used in this case due to stock wiring being used.

@ All : The Minda trumpets are a treat to listen to for a mere 550Rs , have used Roots windtones in my previous vehicle but these Minda's are loud and awesome
Peter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote