Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 19th May 2013, 15:48   #1321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
Finally got Roots Windtone for Rs. 480 and changed the location of horns also in my scorpio. We extended the original cable and fitted the horns right under the bonnet lock. Now I can change the horns easily if needed.
Dear sudipta,Pics please!!!
MuzzledMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 18:03   #1322
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Power Horns!

I replaced the car's bumper last week as a DIY. Since the bumper was off i took few pics.

The large black one is Bosch Europa and the small black ones are OE Hella horns. I replaced the OE Hellas with Bosch FC4 since i had a pair with me from my previous car, both FC4 and Europa packs a punch, i love the sound of Europa.

In the Pic the OE hella on the LHS was slightly moved (rotated on the clamp) in front of the radiator by the garage when they installed the Europa. When i replaced the hella with FC4 i rotated it back to its original position after moving the Europa a bit backwards.

Power Horns!-20130511_131059.jpg

Diesel Swifts/Ritzes its better to have both horns mounted on the LHS below headlamp for the sake of IC and radiator like its installed here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3074732 (Power Horns!)
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 18:18   #1323
Senior - BHPian

I have fitted TWO Pairs of Roots Vibrosonic horns in my Elantra that work together . Very useful on four lanes when i drive around at high speeds , horns are loud enough to reach the Truck and Bus drivers and alert them. Useful on stupid bikers too.
I know many guys in this forum will be against my setup , but my setup has been very useful so far when driving.

Last edited by Eddy : 19th May 2013 at 23:30. Reason: Mention of speeding on public roads
undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 18:57   #1324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
I have fitted TWO Pairs of Roots Vibrosonic horns in my Elantra that work together .
Isn't that a bit of an overkill? Akin to having 8 headlights!
sunsetorange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 19:31   #1325
BHPian

Got a pair of Hella "New Generation" twin-tone horns fitted on my Forester at the recently-opened SLNP Pitstop Michelin franchisee at HRBR layout to replace the decidedly lame OE "Roots" horns. Technician took time geting it to work but very satisfied with the mounting behind the grill - he had to bend the clamps to get it to fit inside the narrow space there. The horns are of the "skoda" type. Originally was thinking about the Red Grilles but very happy with the outcome on this one. Not too loud to be a nuisance to other road users but still loud enough to caution the occasional errant auto or lane-cutting 2-wheeler Rambo. Cost: Rs1150.00. Looks puny but does the job
IcarusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 19:53   #1326
BHPian

Let me put it this way real car enthusiasts and team bhpians would never use the horn or would use it minimally and there is absolutely no need for loud horns. I drive 32 kms everyday through the most congested parts of the city and I can proudly say that i don't use my horn more than a couple of times the entire week. Trust me you enjoy driving more when you don't honk. On a recent trip from Chennai to Kanyakumari I used my horn not more than 4 times. This mind you is a distance of around 800 kms and the entire journey was completed in less than 9 hrs. I am sure all of us can do it. All that it requires is some conscious abstinence from touching the horn and bingo within a few days you will discover a world which is a lot more peaceful.

Last edited by Chillout : 19th May 2013 at 19:57.
Chillout is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 20:22   #1327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
On a recent trip from Chennai to Kanyakumari I used my horn not more than 4 times
Agreed, its always better to use the horn, only when its really required. I take that route on regular basis...say definitely once in 2 months minimum. More than the no.of times of honking, on an emergency situation, power horns really help to bring the casual motorist or pedestrian to their senses. Same time you have to be conscious not to use these horn unnecessarily.

Have been using Hella horns closer to past 1L kms, which was fixed primarily for highway drives
Attached Images

Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 21:09   #1328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post

Have been using Hella horns closer to past 1L kms, which was fixed primarily for highway drives
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...riences-4.html (Emergency braking - Share your experiences)

Didn't realized I have created a thread on similar lines....but still remember that incident happened in 2011
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 10:58   #1329
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed, its always better to use the horn, only when its really required. I take that route on regular basis...say definitely once in 2 months minimum. More than the no.of times of honking, on an emergency situation, power horns really help to bring the casual motorist or pedestrian to their senses. Same time you have to be conscious not to use these horn unnecessarily.

Quote:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...riences-4.html (Emergency braking - Share your experiences)

Didn't realized I have created a thread on similar lines....but still remember that incident happened in 2011
Rightly said! Having Power Horns at place will help us at an adverse situation when some morons never think before they act. IMHO power horns are a good to have accessory provided we use it only when required. I have a Stebel Nautilus in my WagonR and i20 and use it only on highways. For city driving the OE horns do they work and if it goes unheard, the Nautilus steps in!
Chris_Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 14:03   #1330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post

Isn't that a bit of an overkill? Akin to having 8 headlights!
Yes. actually my elantra has 8 headlights. 2 High . 2 low. 2 hella 500ff. 2 fog.
Coming to topic, its a safer option for me. In the highways where two wheelers and some 4 wheelers doesnt check the mirrors before changing lanes , I honk hard to get their senses working.
undead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 17:03   #1331
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Pls suggest me a good pair of horns for my WagonR. The OE horns are so boring . I like the horn of Polo . Is there any such Power Horn available?

Also Where should I mount these horns so that the sound of Horn is heard outside and not inside Car cabin much.

Regards,
Ricky_3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 17:44   #1332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Hey Guys,

Pls suggest me a good pair of horns for my WagonR. The OE horns are so boring . I like the horn of Polo . Is there any such Power Horn available?

Also Where should I mount these horns so that the sound of Horn is heard outside and not inside Car cabin much.

Regards,
You can refer to my post #1310.Am using one (brand seager) and sounds exactly like the ones in the polo.
rakesh_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 19:52   #1333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Is it a bad idea to solder the wires instead of twisting them together and covering them with tape? (The idea is to wire a pair of Bosch Trumpets to a scooter for a bit of highway use)

Unlike last time, I got a 4 pin relay which it has numbers on it. Can someone confirm if this is correct?

85- To Battery -
86- To Original horn + re-routed through the switch
87- To Horn
30- To Battery +
Can anyone confirm this?

Also, Can anyone tell me what minimum gauge wire should to be used? The battery rating is 12V 5A & the Bosch horns are rated 4A.
gendarmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 19:36   #1334
BHPian

Thinking about fixing Hella Red Grills. Will I have to install a separate relay or will the inbuilt Horn Relay in the Innova do the job? Inputs welcome
genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 21:51   #1335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is it a bad idea to solder the wires instead of twisting them together and covering them with tape? (The idea is to wire a pair of Bosch Trumpets to a scoother for a bit of highway use)

Unlike last time, I got a 4 pin relay which it has numbers on it. Can someone confirm if this is correct?

85- Battery -
86- Original horn + re-routed through the switch
87- Horn
30- Battery +
Quote:
Can anyone confirm this?

Also, Can anyone tell me what minimum gauge wire should to be used? The battery rating is 12V 5A & the Bosch horns are rated 4A.
30 - high current circuit battery +ve (to or from)
87 - high current circuit battery + ve (to or from)
85 - low current circuit switch +ve (original horn wire)
86 - low current circuit switch -ve (earth or -ve wire)
I don't think polarity matters for the low current circuit.

Reg the wire size get 18gauge/1sqmm finolex wire it will be more than sufficient. Min size would be 20 or 22 gauge.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote