Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 24th December 2014, 22:57   #1426

Default re: Power Horns!

I upgraded my OEM dzire vvt zxi horns to hella chrome trumpet horn he just replaced the OEM horns with the trumpet horns he said the relay already exists in zxi so no need of another relay Do I need an additional relay ?
vipinshetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2014, 10:40   #1427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Changed the Roots wind-tone 90 to the Hella red grills.

Paid 1350 for the horns as wiring was reused from the wind-tones.

Regards,
BL
And the reason for change was...? Roots gone bad?

I am looking for horns for my SUV. Confused between Hella Red Grills and Stebel horn.

My previous experience with Hella isn't very good. The windtone horn conked off in 5-6 months of use in the Figo. Fitted Roots windtone and till day, it works.

Watched You Tube videos as well, Hella sounds shrill, while I like Stebel's sound. But think, Hella will deter traffic better + it is cheaper.

Last edited by Sheel : 25th December 2014 at 10:41.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2014, 19:38   #1428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
And the reason for change was...? Roots gone bad?
Water ingress made the wind-tones go hoarse.

I have used Stebel twice previously in my old car and they sound fabulous but lose their bite (or rather their bark) within a year forcing me to go for a new pair. Doesn't make financial sense to keep changing it.

The Hella's too sound fabulous and work better than Moses in parting the flow of traffic.

And from what I have seen they are very robust and water resistant, I recommend you give it a shot. Plus they are cheaper.
batterylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2014, 09:58   #1429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

And from what I have seen they are very robust and water resistant, I recommend you give it a shot. Plus they are cheaper.
Thanks. My Scorpio does come with Hella E4 as OE. They work, but not as intended.
Old 26th December 2014, 11:16   #1430
BHPian

I risk being rebuked but thought it was absolutely essential to post my point of view. Are we deriving a perverse pleasure in trying to be the loudest/flashiest on the road? Loud/pressure horns are a BIG nuisance for pedestrians/commuters travelling on two wheels. Occupants of modern cars are well insulated from the harsh ambient noise levels that prevail outside their drives but do please spare a thought for others! To top it all, there are some drivers who delight from scaring the daylights of pedestrians by letting go of their pressure horns when they are almost on to them. A couple of years back, some horn manufacturing companies came out with horns which simulated babies crying in pain! Imagine what can be the effect of such sounds being let loose on unsuspecting people on the roads! Rude motorists are dime a dozen in most parts of our country : can WE make a difference by setting an example by sticking to legit devices and caring for others? Thanks!
Rakkum13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2014, 16:20   #1431
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. My Scorpio does come with Hella E4 as OE. They work, but not as intended.
That's very strange as I have felt that they are very loud.

You are referring to the Red Grills I hope ?
Old 26th December 2014, 16:29   #1432
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
That's very strange as I have felt that they are very loud.

You are referring to the Red Grills I hope ?
No, E4 and Red grill are different. He is mentioning OEM E4.
To me Red grill is the best sounding, louder and reliable horn. Trumpet is allergic to water and goes kaput often.

Last edited by DRIVE_ADDICT : 26th December 2014 at 16:31.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2014, 16:33   #1433
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Trumpet is allergic to water and goes kaput often.
Are all Trumpets allergic to water or are there some out there that are better than the others? Is the VW/Skoda ones also go kaput frequently?
ILTDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2014, 16:36   #1434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTDrive View Post
Are all Trumpets allergic to water or are there some out there that are better than the others? Is the VW/Skoda ones also go kaput frequently?
The VW/Skoda trumpets are roots I think.
Old 26th December 2014, 16:44   #1435
BHPian

Quote:
Im talking about after market one's. In my earlier car i had Hella windtone and Minda windtone, both started sounding week after multiple pressure washes. The life time for these after market windtone (from my experience) is ~ 2 years.

In my current ride im using Red grill, and it is going strong nearing 3 years.

Horns from VW is different, they are very strong. (of course im talking about the first batches with dual horn setup, not the meek y "pap" single horn which comes as OEM nowadays)
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2015, 08:11   #1436
BHPian

Quote:
Is the VW/Skoda ones also go kaput frequently?
As far as I know vw/ skoda horns lasts longer. My friends Vento has done almost close to 60k and it's horn is still good. In my I20 (90000km),I had changed skoda type horns for atleast 4 times in the past 4 y. I had recently added a horn to my polo and after that it sounds good. It costed me 2650 for a single low pitch horn.
nidhinsarath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 09:03   #1437
BHPian

This is about my one-month-old Hella RedGrills (2nd set after 3 years).
Had picked them up from and fit at Reliance Autozone, Basaveshwaranagar, Bangalore.

The new set was just supposed to be replaced by taking off the older ones.
I just got a li'l lazy and asked those Reliance folks to fit it for me.

It was such a shoddy fitment executed, I must say.

I could've done it myself if I wasn't put up with so many chores on that day.

All this while I wasn't so happy with the quality of the tones (unlike my previous RedGrill pair).

I was near M.G. Road yesterday, where I heard a thud sound in the bonnet.
To my surprise, I pulled over to find one of them fallen off the fitment hole and lying connected with the wires' support.

Found a local mechanic and fit it up tight and right - It sounds amazing now.
vishnu-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 14:31   #1438
BHPian

Default Minda Trumpet or Hella Trumpet

I want to replace my OE horn in my Sx4. OE horns are twin Hella, but the sound is feeble. I've shortlisted Minda & Hella Trumpet. Can you pls. help decide which one is better?

Also, shall I install relay? My fear is, with the installation of relay, their might be some wiring scrapping involved. Without relay, there won't be any wire cutting, just plug and play.

Thanks

Amit
amitpunjani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 17:59   #1439
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Minda Trumpet or Hella Trumpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
I want to replace my OE horn in my Sx4. OE horns are twin Hella, but the sound is feeble. I've shortlisted Minda & Hella Trumpet. Can you pls. help decide which one is better?

Also, shall I install relay? My fear is, with the installation of relay, their might be some wiring scrapping involved. Without relay, there won't be any wire cutting, just plug and play.

Thanks

Amit
Go for the Hella Black Pearl. They are smaller than the regular trumpets you see and are quite loud too. They sound exactly like the ones you'll hear in Audi and BMW.

I just installed them a week back in my SX4. I've used the Minda trumpets earlier and they're still being used in my Alto since 3 years but these sound better. The SX4 already has a relay from the company so no need to install any. Just change the horns.

I am now looking for the Stebel Nautilus as a second horn in the SX4 for highway use. Anyone know where I can get them in Bombay?
Attached Images

Last edited by straight6 : 23rd January 2015 at 18:01.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 18:14   #1440
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Minda Trumpet or Hella Trumpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Go for the Hella Black Pearl. They are smaller than the regular trumpets you see and are quite loud too. They sound exactly like the ones you'll hear in Audi and BMW.
How much did they cost? There is a trumpet horn by Hella, finished in chrome. I did hear them & they were the loudest. Cost was 1468 IIRC.