Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 9th July 2015, 19:47   #1471
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Power Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Two of these = 36A ; 12V*36A = 432W. Too much load in the name of horns.
I was kidding!!
Quote:
It sounds like an ambassador horn of yesteryears, not pleasing to the ear but enough to scare the brown stuff off jaywalkers. IMHO, horns should be irritating and grabbing the attention of others, not sound pleasing to them
Totally Agree! Will definitely check it out before ordering the Nautilus.
Quote:
The red box in the picture is the relay. You can see it clearer in the below pic from the listing:
If that's the size of the relay then the horn is going to be a little too big I guess. Still, let me try Megasonic first, thanks a lot for your help
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2015, 12:13   #1472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I was kidding!!

Totally Agree! Will definitely check it out before ordering the Nautilus.

If that's the size of the relay then the horn is going to be a little too big I guess. Still, let me try Megasonic first, thanks a lot for your help
Well, I am using vibrosonic and seger trumpets on my swift.I have fitted a toggle switch,the former for the highways and the latter for the city.The Vibrosonic sits conveniently behind the bumper,safe from water and dust.
Attached Images

rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2015, 15:13   #1473
BHPian

Just a heads-up.
Be wary of buying from PAYTM. I picked up a pair of Hella horns for 899 bucks that too with discount. When i got it, the sticker on the box reflected 692 INR.
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 17:14   #1474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
What about the Stebel Nautilus horns? They definitely seem like a bridge between electric and pneumatic horns. I guess these should be louder than Red Grille, isn't it? Also, isn't Hella notorious for going kaput in rains?
Quote:
Stebel Nautilus are rated at 18-20A thats way too much current for a horn in my books.

Red grills are 3.5x2=7A, even megasonic is 4x2=8A. All that extra current for a little bit more noise is not worth it in my books.

Stebel is not that well known in Indian circles yet; warranty/replacement might becoems a headache in case things go wrong.
I have Stebel Nautilus Compact for few years now. It's hard to impossible to find a genuine one now a days in Bangalore at least and the ones you find in eBay may not be genuine hence I would suggest to stay away from it if you aren't confident. I've seen many fake ones in JC road and none will come close to the genuine product. Moreover mine went kaput last month and I couldn't find a way / place to repair.

Appreciate if someone here help me with a place in Bangalore where I can bring the horn back to life if possible!

Cheers!

Last edited by treadmark : 13th July 2015 at 17:16.
treadmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 17:39   #1475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post

Appreciate if someone here help me with a place in Bangalore where I can bring the horn back to life if possible!

Cheers!
There is one guy on Hosur Road, on the service road just a little ahead of JLR showroom towards Hosur, next to Axis ATM. He does a decent job, I got my Scorpio stock horns serviced which ASS wanted to replace.
Other than that there are 2-3 options in Bommanhalli, not sure of their quality though.
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2015, 19:29   #1476
BHPian

I am curious. How are the Roots Vibrosonic, Hella Supertone (Red Grill) and the Hella Sharptone (Yellow grill) placed w.r.t. each other in terms of loudness in real world conditions? Has anyone here used the Sharptone? Also, as I understand the current drain of these horns (single unit) is as follows:

Hella Supertone: 5.5A
Roots Vibrosonic: 4A
Hella Sharptone: 3.5A

Which of these would be good in a pair (or single) for a bike like a KTM Duke 200 which has an 8Ah battery and ECU based engine management? This would be for highway use but I will keep them mounted at all times so weight would also be a concern.
Darth Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2015, 19:47   #1477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
I am curious. How are the Roots Vibrosonic, Hella Supertone (Red Grill) and the Hella Sharptone (Yellow grill) placed w.r.t. each other in terms of loudness in real world conditions? Has anyone here used the Sharptone? Also, as I understand the current drain of these horns (single unit) is as follows:

Hella Supertone: 5.5A
Roots Vibrosonic: 4A
Hella Sharptone: 3.5A

Which of these would be good in a pair (or single) for a bike like a KTM Duke 200 which has an 8Ah battery and ECU based engine management? This would be for highway use but I will keep them mounted at all times so weight would also be a concern.
If you want a really loud horn for a bike, get a single Roots Megasonic like I did. Single horn is only 4A and is way louder than others. Since power consumption is less, it is technically easier on the battery/electricals to run this horn than others.

Name:  IMG_20140808_170210.jpg
Views: 2231
Size:  180.6 KB

This is the Megasonic on my Karizma, which had a 7aH battery. Ran wonderfully for 4 years before I sold the bike. Check the size with stock horn above for comparision.

Only cons are that the horn is huge and heavy. You'll need a solid mount for it, but once mounted it shouldn't give any problems.
SunnyBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2015, 20:14   #1478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post
I want to upgrade the OEM horn on my Nano Twist. Considering the battery in Nano and fearing the loss of warranty, want to upgrade it without any modifications. Some mechanics at tata suggested to go for just the high-tone horn from hella and the likes as a bolt on replacement in-place of existing horn.

Any suggestions?
Been six months since i have installed the Hella Red grills on my Nano. Working flawlessly. Have been driving in rain and no issues so far. Highway driving has become a lot more comfortable with these.
knaveen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2015, 23:48   #1479
BHPian

Quote:
If you want a really loud horn for a bike, get a single Roots Megasonic like I did. Single horn is only 4A and is way louder than others. Since power consumption is less, it is technically easier on the battery/electricals to run this horn than others.

This is the Megasonic on my Karizma, which had a 7aH battery. Ran wonderfully for 4 years before I sold the bike. Check the size with stock horn above for comparision.

Only cons are that the horn is huge and heavy. You'll need a solid mount for it, but once mounted it shouldn't give any problems.
I intend to mount the horn(s) under the fuel tank where the stock horn is mounted and maybe move the stock horn outside since aftermarket ones are more likely to be nicked. The size and weight of the Megasonic made me rule it out and it is still off the list for those reasons. Otherwise a single unit would have worked.

Would a single Vibrosonic low tone be adequate? I have a feeling it won't. A pair of Megasonic horns is rated at 125 decibels and the Vibrosonic at 110. The Hella Sharptone seems attractive because it appears to be more compact than the Vibrosonic and is rated at 3.5A and 115 decibels a pair but it would have to be a pair.
Darth Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2015, 14:07   #1480
BHPian

Jazz support single ping connector, do we have hella or bosch which comes in single ping or any connector available. Pic attached for connector. Kindly help
Attached Thumbnails
Power Horns!-20150902_123602.jpg  

sam003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2015, 15:43   #1481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
Jazz support single ping connector, do we have hella or bosch which comes in single ping or any connector available. Pic attached for connector. Kindly help
If its single pin then the horn uses body/chassis ground.

Connect this wire to one pin on the horn, second one connect it to a ground point. That should do it.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 08:12   #1482
BHPian

Got installed the Minda Jazz horn from Honda showroom last week. Its the trumpet sound like in Skoda and Audi. Costed me 1800/-
I had to change this since the City horn sound is kind of puny. Now the car sounds manly
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 09:13   #1483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Got installed the Minda Jazz horn from Honda showroom last week. Its the trumpet sound like in Skoda and Audi. Costed me 1800/-
I had to change this since the City horn sound is kind of puny. Now the car sounds manly
Wow. The showroom guys sure charge a premium! The MRP on Minda Jazz horns is INR 830. I got it installed from an accessories shop who charged INR 50 for installation.
praveen789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 15:54   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
Wow. The showroom guys sure charge a premium! The MRP on Minda Jazz horns is INR 830. I got it installed from an accessories shop who charged INR 50 for installation.
I did check the price tag and it was mentioned 1800 for a pair
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 16:06   #1485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I did check the price tag and it was mentioned 1800 for a pair

I just double checked the MRP. It is actually INR 808. Is it the case that Minda are putting a higher MRP for showrooms? or is your product different?
Attached Thumbnails
Power Horns!-img_20150914_155730.jpg  

praveen789 is offline   Reply With Quote