Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 27th April 2011, 22:31   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Honda City VTEC High Compression build.*UPDATE* And she runs!!

Yes, BAR. The car being discussed in this thread is being used extensively right now and has already racked over 100-150 kms. If the run-in gets over, it should be present at the drags along with my car which would also be participating.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 22:13   #47
Senior - BHPian

Updates if any would be welcome. How is the car going ??

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 22:18   #48
Senior - BHPian

The car is being run in. Haven't been in contact with my friend as he's busy with family commitments and the car is being used extensively. Just waiting for the first 1000km to be over with.
pranavt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 01:52   #49
Senior - BHPian

Just an update, thought I'd post here. I consider myself lucky to have multiple builds from educated customers who wish to try out new things apart from the usual "stage 1" mods. The current build has been very successful and is being enjoyed by a very happy owner. Due to various problems beyond my control (bad wiring and horrible maintenance done by the previous owner), a lot of unrelated issues had to be tracked down, right from a draining battery to buggered up valve guides.

Over the past few months, everything was sorted out and the car is now getting a brand new engine harness along with some nice goodies on the intake side. During a routine maintenance check, I had the chance to peek into the cylinder through the spark plug holes. The pistons look practically brand new along with a tiny but healthy coat of carbon. This will not only act as an insulant but even raise the compression a tiny bit. A dyno run will follow once I'm happy with the engine mapping. Hope to find the time to finish that.

In the meanwhile, I was lucky to be called for building a Honda VTEC engine alongside Ron Chinoy, for the Indian Touring Cars Championship, the pinnacle of Indian motorsport for an engine builder. It is a new team, Tiger Sport India, just 8 track days old. We ended up smashing the National record for the most power extracted from a naturally aspirated Honda B15C2 engine that's found on the OHC VTECs here. As of now, it is making more power than quite a few of the turbocharged builds in the country that are running the same B15C2 engine. In just our third race, we finished in 4th position after being forced to start from 17th after missing a customary weight-check procedure. More on that in another thread I'm creating soon.

Also unrelated but deserves a mention here; the plan now is to build another VTEC engine with even higher compression than this engine, and making sure that it runs on pump fuel without any sort of detonation or knocking. Will be fun to destroy a few misconceptions about high-compression builds and pump fuel. At the same time, my own turbo build should start getting wings once all the parts are procured. It's difficult to balance the expenditure when I am in the process of building two monsters, one NA and another turbocharged.

All will be known soon. The plan is to change the tuning scene in India by bringing in transparency and educating the customers rather than conning them by selling band-aids like ignition kits and shoddy port jobs.

Last edited by bblost : 25th August 2011 at 04:46. Reason: as requested.
pranavt is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 10:50   #50
Senior - BHPian

This sounds great !! So the Honda V-Tech is proving it's lineage well. Not that I understand the techy side, but this definately sounds like a great build.

All the best !!
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 16:09   #51
BHPian

Any plans of dyno testing the hi comp engine you have built ?

And all the best for your turbo build.You turbocharging the current engine ?
Waiting for the Tiger Sport India thread to start as well.

Last edited by Neil.Bhujbal : 25th August 2011 at 16:12.
Neil.Bhujbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 17:56   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.Bhujbal View Post
Any plans of dyno testing the hi comp engine you have built ?

And all the best for your turbo build.You turbocharging the current engine ?
Waiting for the Tiger Sport India thread to start as well.
Like I said, I'll do a dyno test once I'm satisfied with the mapping. Unfortunately you cannot do live mapping on the Mumbai dyno, so I need to have the ignition curve pretty spot on before I do my first run.

If by current you mean my own vtec engine, then no. My own engine will first be built as a super high compression motor (over 11.5:1) revving to over 9k RPM and running on pump fuel. I've bought a second Honda D16 engine from the US which will first be turbocharged since most OE parts are available off-the-shelf for it. Once I have time, it's a matter of moving the turbo equipment to the original D15 engine and boosting it after reducing the compression a little bit.
Old 25th August 2011, 21:55   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
In the meanwhile, I was lucky to be called for building a Honda VTEC engine alongside Ron Chinoy, for the Indian Touring Cars Championship, the pinnacle of Indian motorsport for an engine builder.
Hi,
You and Chinoy being in different cities, how are you collaborating?
Chinoy using his simulation software?

Your problems with the cam resolved?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 22:28   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
You and Chinoy being in different cities, how are you collaborating?
Chinoy using his simulation software?

Your problems with the cam resolved?

Regards
Sutripta
Emails and phone mainly. The team HQ is in Coimbatore, so trips are made whenever necessary. I've flown in to Bangalore and Coimbatore whenever needed. Me and Chinoy both use simulation software, different ones though.

Cam problem is put on hold right now. Have got definitive proof but not enough time to follow up. Should be sorted before the end of the month.
Old 25th August 2011, 22:36   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^
Hi,
Coimbatore had one of the best brake dynos. Ideal for live tuning. Working properly now?

How closely do the simulation software match? And how well does the actual engine oblige?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 00:18   #56
Senior - BHPian

Yup. Working great as per what I was told. The dyno runs were done during my absence, so I was not there to experience it firsthand. This was after the second race of the championship at CBE. Chinoy ended up gaining over 20% in a single day on the dyno. The engine before the dynoruns had done about 100 km on a fresh bore, so the run-in was basically done on the track during the second race weekend at Coimbatore lol. How's that for a run-in

The simulation software is never going to be perfectly accurate since it's relying on mathematical formulas, and beyond a certain limit, everything inside an engine is just in chaos. So predicting exhaust flow, combustion characteristics and various other things will always turn into a crapshoot. The simulation software is best used if the car/engine is dynoed regularly and the software is calibrated properly according to the dyno runs. These are my own observations though. Ron uses a much more developed and complex sim which has been shown to be more accurate until now.

The engine is a gem, honestly. As per my prediction, these Honda engines are going to run strong and mighty for atleast another decade.

A tiny request though. I'd rather have these posts go into the thread that I'll be creating soon, so as not to clutter up this thread. Hope you understand.

Last edited by pranavt : 26th August 2011 at 00:19.
Old 26th August 2011, 13:46   #57
BHPian

@pranavt

Extremely good to hear that you and chinoy extracted maxium power from D15 and went higher than TC engines too,
wanted to ask you which simulation software do you use?
Ansys? or solidworks simulation ?
jatinpatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 12:02   #58
Senior - BHPian

Not ANSYS or Solidworks. They are generic and getting everything working would take ages. The simulation software is developed specially for engines so it lets us cut down on development time and just jump into testing faster.
Old 28th August 2011, 15:49   #59
BHPian

is there any particular software that you might recommend that can be used specially for design and simulation of gas flows in exhaust and intake manifolds ?

Have something in my mind for my 800 and its intake and exhaust.
Found inspiration from your build thank you very much.
jatinpatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 20:29   #60
Senior - BHPian

If you just want to simulate flow of air, any CFD software will be better suited, like Solidworks, CFDesign, Ansys, etc.

That is not to say that our software doesn't model fluid dynamics, but it is in a niche area where certain variables are pre-calculated values got from flowbenching real heads.