Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 1st April 2011, 20:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Trouble with Auto-Windup module

This windup module (called Scorpio) was installed in my Baleno by a mechanic quite sometime ago. Now this module has developed some problem and it has ruined both my rear power windows, they no longer work.

Recently, there was a very strange click-click sound coming out of this module and it used to push the front right window up very gradually with every click sound. This would only happen after I would turn the key to anywhere below the "on' position. As expected, it used to work all the time and would drain the battery overnight. Disgusted, I got the car to the authorised service station and they disconnected the module. The problem is that the original wiring has been routed through this module and now that they've disconnected it, none of the windows can be operated. The guys at the service center don't know how to connect back to original wiring. I tried the AutoCop guys to install an alternative module but they are not responding (don't know whether this is order of the day with AutoCop). I can either have this module replaced or go back to original setup of manually closing windows, either way cost is not a factor.

Could someone please let me know where I can get this done in Bangalore? Thank you.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 21:15   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Trouble with Auto-Windup module

I don't know about the "click" sound, but the front right window winding up a little when cranking is common. To avoid this, turn on the ignition, wait for the doors to lock and then crank the car.
thirst4torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 21:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thank you thirst4torque, but the issue was whenever I'd turn the key to AC or off position, the front right window would wind up gradually. Like hiccups. One small movement with every click sound. Also, getting the car jump started every morning was terribly difficult.
Old 1st April 2011, 22:03   #4
BHPian

There will be two relays inside the module, one for window up and another for down. The relays will give click sound, if thats the problem you can change the relay with their equivalent from electronic shop.

i have opened my window circuit, auto winder not working, you can remove the control yourself and see with multimeter whether there is any problem.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...gone-bust.html
rajivanoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2011, 11:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Rajiv, that is quite interesting and may help in fixing my rear power windows. When I last checked with Maruti, they claim the entire unit would have to replaced; they're not readily available and cost 11,000 per power window unit. I have currently put the rear windows on hold as it is going to cost me 22,000. Besides, for me, the rear windows are rarely used.

My query is more to do with the front windows.

: I am sorry if I did not post this clearly, but I would be happy to get just the front windows working again. Also what I haven't clearly mentioned is that front power windows were working perfectly fine when the module was connected and the key was turned to "ON" position. The module was causing trouble only when the key was turned to "AC" or "OFF".

Now that the module is disconnected, the front windows refuse to work. By the way, some progress. The AutoCop guy says he is going to come in the evening. I'll post the progress and if we do find one, post the solution.

In the meanwhile, please help if you've come across something like this or have heard of one. Thank you.
Old 2nd April 2011, 20:28   #6
BHPian

@ rocksterraghu
Module for Rs.11000 is day light robbery, that too for an maruti, I am pacified that mitsubishi lancers module costs just Rs.3500 + tax at an A$$, Mostly the switch which is soldered to circuit gives problem, but its not available in market seperately, so i have ordered one from used spare shop in chennai, its on way to my place by courier. let me see if it works.

Also that might be wiring problem, once given to an apprentice electrician, they will kill some other component while connecting the wires wrongly. My ECU for fried by an apprentice while fitting the remote lock by wrong wiring.

As of now my master control (the full control switch on driver side ) is removed by me and just the connector is there in driver door, no other windows are working now, i think the connection is looped, it will work only when it is connected, no matter it works or not.

will update about my window on monday.
Old 2nd April 2011, 21:11   #7
BHPian

I guess your auto windup module has gone kaput hence it's malfunctioning and draining the battery. I don't think the entire PW module should be replaced as it's working and only thing is the module is faulty else it won't try to roll up intermittently.

Going back to stock condition is easy for an experienced technician I doubt your techs capability. Your *** doesn't want to spend few mins to find out the wire connections as it may be installed out side. A fresh module (AWM) is available for 2k approx IIRC, get it replaced and enjoy your drive.

how long you are possessing your ride? Baleno spares are known for its expensive spares as most of them are not locally sourced.
sajjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 10:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Rajiv and Sajjt. As expected, the AutoCop guy didn't turn up. Maybe because of the match.

@Rajiv: Like Sajjt rightly pointed out, Baleno is not a Maruti when it comes to spares. I am right now buying shoes for my City, so 22k is out of question. But your advice is truly appreciated, shall try a good electrician before I spend those precious bucks.

@Sajjt: I had the same feeling too. It would have probably taken a few minutes for the technician to figure out the original wiring, but I was at an authorised service station and they probably thought it was not worth their while. I should try another authorised station or get that module. Would a good accessory store be able to fit this module, the one that you said costs 2k, without a glitch? I would be more than happy to have this done today. I've had this car since 2005 and yes, I agree, sometimes the spare prices scare the living daylights out of me.
Old 4th April 2011, 17:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
Thanks Rajiv and Sajjt. As expected, the AutoCop guy didn't turn up. Maybe because of the match.

@Rajiv: Like Sajjt rightly pointed out, Baleno is not a Maruti when it comes to spares. I am right now buying shoes for my City, so 22k is out of question. But your advice is truly appreciated, shall try a good electrician before I spend those precious bucks.

@Sajjt: I had the same feeling too. It would have probably taken a few minutes for the technician to figure out the original wiring, but I was at an authorised service station and they probably thought it was not worth their while. I should try another authorised station or get that module. Would a good accessory store be able to fit this module, the one that you said costs 2k, without a glitch? I would be more than happy to have this done today. I've had this car since 2005 and yes, I agree, sometimes the spare prices scare the living daylights out of me.
Its not a big deal for an installer from Autocop as they have the full schematic diagrams for each and every car so that he can finish it off within an hour AFAIK without messing up with the wires. Have you contacted any local accessory shops dealing with Autocop products? These products will be installed by the Autocop personnel upon the dealers request. Dealers are too happy to hand over this job to them as they can make use of their own staff for other works.
Old 5th April 2011, 20:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ok. Some progress and some bad news.

Another authorised service station took about 10 minutes to have this rectified. Here is a picture of how this was done, there was a wire running from the power window switch to the module i.e. from door to dash (yellow in this case). All that the technician had to do was to open the door-pad, disconnect this wire and connect the original wires directly.

The bad news is that today the front left window stopped working. So now I have 3 non-working power windows.

He however assured me that he will have all of these fixed, because per his analysis, the motors are not working. He has quoted about 1,000 per power window + labour, which sounds far more lucrative than 11,000 per window. He is coming tomorrow to take out the motors. Shall keep you posted.

And thanks everyone for your quick responses, very grateful to you all.
Attached Images

Old 5th April 2011, 22:30   #11
BHPian

@ raghu

I dont think power window motor is fault, may be the wiring, also authorised service station wont charge that much less for the motor ie Rs.1000 each, lancers power window motor (taiwan) make itself costs Rs.2500 at non A$$ shop, so i assume 40% more in A$$.

In your case its dirt cheap motor. So i think the technician knows whats fault (may be wiring) and the solution, so. thats the reason he charges low. Have you seen the motor working when given direct connection from an temporary battery. if it works, then the motor is fine.

I have sorted out my power window problem, see my thread above. its simple solution, that i could not find. the need is right person at the right moment with correct thought, or else we would lose our hard earned money for trial and error.

Last edited by rajivanoj : 5th April 2011 at 22:32.
Old 6th April 2011, 11:23   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
@ raghu

I dont think power window motor is fault, may be the wiring, also authorised service station wont charge that much less for the motor ie Rs.1000 each, lancers power window motor (taiwan) make itself costs Rs.2500 at non A$$ shop, so i assume 40% more in A$$.

In your case its dirt cheap motor. So i think the technician knows whats fault (may be wiring) and the solution, so. thats the reason he charges low. Have you seen the motor working when given direct connection from an temporary battery. if it works, then the motor is fine.

I have sorted out my power window problem, see my thread above. its simple solution, that i could not find. the need is right person at the right moment with correct thought, or else we would lose our hard earned money for trial and error.
+1 to that. Its not possible to get a replacement for 1K per motor. As rajivanoj said the technician knows the actual reason behind that and he's taking a ride on you am pretty sure on this as the quotes are not matching with a fresh replacement.

Have you contacted Autocop service centre or some other accessory shop guy? Both places you can expect these crooks. Ask him to power the motor with a separate wire from the battery to make sure that its blown, as these will rarely give up, but considering that your wind up module has some fault its very much possible due to continuous powering to the motors. If you know how to open the door pads and connect the wires then its a DIY diagnosis.

Name:  PowerWindowMotorHT3001.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  61.6 KB
Old 6th April 2011, 22:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

@ rajiv and sajjt,

I can't thank you enough for regular inputs and invaluable advice.

I am a bit confused. This guy from authorised service station says he is going to get the motors 'fixed'. Don't know what it means, because these are too small for rewinding. Besides, he wants to just take out these motors and come back after a day.

Coming to what I really hope to hear from you, should I go to reliable electrician, spend time and have the entire wiring checked up? Or should I go to a reliable accessory store and ask them to have this rectified by all means?

I know, I shut my nose the moment he said 1,000 per window because it was too fishy. I want to have this rectified and like everyone, respect my money. What should be my approach? Thanks!
Old 7th April 2011, 14:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
@ rajiv and sajjt,

I can't thank you enough for regular inputs and invaluable advice.

I am a bit confused. This guy from authorised service station says he is going to get the motors 'fixed'. Don't know what it means, because these are too small for rewinding. Besides, he wants to just take out these motors and come back after a day.

Coming to what I really hope to hear from you, should I go to reliable electrician, spend time and have the entire wiring checked up? Or should I go to a reliable accessory store and ask them to have this rectified by all means?

I know, I shut my nose the moment he said 1,000 per window because it was too fishy. I want to have this rectified and like everyone, respect my money. What should be my approach? Thanks!
Hey whats meant by "can be fixed" = its already diagnosed and found some easy tweak for the fix am for sure. Ask him what is going to be done with that. In no way it cant be replaced with this amount of money. But there are chances for a refurbishing of the item in case of broken gears or so. But he says motor has gone kaput which smells something fishy. Heard that it cant be repaired in normal conditions for a dead motor except some brush replacements and that too a time consuming affair as its considered as use and throw motor in sealed condition.

Before that take a second opinion from another AUTOCOP service centre or any reputed accessory shop so that you will get some idea about this. Why spent your hard earned money for no reason?
Old 7th April 2011, 17:42   #15
BHPian

As sajjt suggested, the technician knows the solution, it must be simple problem, all the four motor wont go bad at same time. and if you can spend some time, you can open door pad and weather screen, remove the connection and check yourself, whether motor is running or not.

if not running, there might be simple problem of non greasing of gears, channels, misaligned winder rope, usually motor wont die that easy, it is sturdy piece as many said, even electrician. only the worm gear, bush give problem, i dont know about baleno, but most motors are repairable, if you try. might be stuck up carbon brush. even if carbon brush got worn, you can replace it with some other similar carbon brush for other cars, with slight alteration by filing (this can be done by electrician) since i have fixed carbon brushes of indica, canter in my lancer and its working fine.

dont give ears to the technician, only after he knows the solution, he fixed amount of Rs.1000 each. so its not use of asking him whats problem. he wont tell. try another good electrician.

Last edited by rajivanoj : 7th April 2011 at 17:44.