Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Old 6th April 2009, 20:15   #1516
Senior - BHPian

My OHC has done about 70k. I was recommended Shell Helix Super over Shell Helix Ultra. The mechanic told me that since fully synthetic oils have lower viscosity, it might flow smoothly in the engine but it would do more damage than good, since the car has been running Mineral oil all time through and the engine is used to a higher viscosity oil.
Is there any truth in this theory? What are the reviews on Shell Helix Super?
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 01:22   #1517
Senior - BHPian

^^^Not true at all. Just choose the right viscosity and you should be fine. There could be an issue however if your engine isn't really clean. But if you have been v particular about oil changes and all in the past, and have used good oil, then mostly you have nothing to fear.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 10:19   #1518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
my question is if syntium 5000 is good for diesel cars as well? as from the petronas website syntium series is listed for petrol cars.

Where in pimple saudagar? i stay there.
if its not listed for diesel car i dont think you should put it in yours. i think many people here are happy with MOBIL DEVAC.
where do u stay exactly? i too stay there itself.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 11:00   #1519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
if its not listed for diesel car i dont think you should put it in yours. i think many people here are happy with MOBIL DEVAC.
where do u stay exactly? i too stay there itself.
i stay near kunal icon, in Laaxmi vrindavan. where do you stay? so where can get the synthetic oil variety in pimple saudagar?
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 11:09   #1520
BHPian

Default Synthetic oil can void the warranty of the car

I am not sure if this is already discussed in this thread. we all know the advantages of synthetic oil, but here is one disadvantage.

today i booked a slot for my Magnum's 20k service, and asked the service advisor not to change the oil as i am going for syntheic. In response to this, he clearly mentioned that if you go for any non recommended oil it will void the warrranty. He also said that synthetic oil is good, and in way your car's warranty will not stand null and void immediately but in future if something happens, you may or may not get the warranty benfits.

Experts your view on this please.
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 11:44   #1521
Team-BHP Support

Your service manual will mention the minimum grade and specification for engine oil in your Magnum. As long as your synthetic oil meets those specfications, there should not be a problem
I think Optra needs API-CH4 minimum, but most synthetics commonly available(Like Shell Helix Ultra etc.,) are API-CF only.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 10:42   #1522
Senior - BHPian

Please DO NOT use 0W40 oil in India unless you're driving in snowy regions.
Its too light an oil for Indian conditions.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 23:54   #1523
Senior - BHPian

Castrol Edge, which went into the engine about 3 weeks back.

Drive to Chennai was smooth.
Idling noise is less.
Less strain on engine when A/c on.

Someone asked for pics.. so here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img_3863.jpg  

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img_3864.jpg  

IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 22:34   #1524
BHPian

hey guys found out that gm uses elf engine oils got this from elf india site
ELF SUPER SPORTI 15W40 i guess its a mineral oil
can anyone recommend me a synthetic engine oil to match the above oil for my magnum diesel
also i read on the net that you can mix synthetic oil with mineral oil if so is it advicable to drain 50% of the mineral oil and top up with synthetic now and after 5000 kms change to fully synthetic
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 01:20   #1525
Senior - BHPian

^^^Please do no such thing! Change over to fully synthetic when you can. Don't make strange cocktails in your engine.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 12:02   #1526
BHPian

@dockap You can try using ELF/ Total Quartz 9000 series- which is a fully synthetic motor oil, or You can go with a semi-synthetic grade Total 7000 10W40 on your magnum. I have asked my GM dealership about this, the service advisor said that as long ELF/ Total oils are used, it won't affect warranty.
Here's the site for your reference: -
Welcome to TOTAL in India

I have a question: Is it ok to use a semi-synthetic oil after draining mineral grade oil and then back again to a semi-synthetic grade without engine flush (flushing oil)? I ask this as my car is covered with GM's cashless ownership offer- where they provide mineral oil every 10k/ 1 year (oil cost icluded in the offer). I plan to do an OCI of around 5K/ 6months with semi-synthetic and then again switch back to Elf mineral oil for the next change.
sudipt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 16:05   #1527
BHPian

I have a swift VDI. Which Synthetic oil should i go for?I have been using mineral oil until now. Will get the flushing done and then will switch to synthetic oil.

Does it make a diff if i switch from mineral to synthetic after a long mileage?

Please suggest
Piyush_Vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 22:41   #1528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush_Vroom View Post
I have a swift VDI. Which Synthetic oil should i go for?I have been using mineral oil until now. Will get the flushing done and then will switch to synthetic oil.

Does it make a diff if i switch from mineral to synthetic after a long mileage?

Please suggest
How many KMs has your car done? If less than 7-8K kms then stay with mineral.

Check out Mobil 1, Castrol Edge and Shell Helix Ultra in order of personal preference. Please make sure you get the viscosity/grade recommended in your car's owners manual in order to retain the warranty. And DO NOT believe a retailer's claim that synth drain intervals can be extended to 2-3X that of mineral oil. Must follow mfrs recommended drain interval regardless of the type of oil used.

Rgds,

Last edited by R2D2 : 19th April 2009 at 22:43.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 01:17   #1529
BHPian

Hi Guys, i have a Ikon 1.8 diesel and The recommended grade for engine oil is 10w30 i am going to get the car serviced at a local workshop and i was wondering if any one knows of a diesel engine oil of this grade ie10w30.

Also the manual says if 10w30 is not available then 10w 40 can be used, Last time i asked the service advisor on the oil that he would recommend he said castrol magnatec 10w40.

Could you please let me know which oil i can use.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 13:02   #1530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Hi Guys, i have a Ikon 1.8 diesel and The recommended grade for engine oil is 10w30 i am going to get the car serviced at a local workshop and i was wondering if any one knows of a diesel engine oil of this grade ie10w30.

Also the manual says if 10w30 is not available then 10w 40 can be used, Last time i asked the service advisor on the oil that he would recommend he said castrol magnatec 10w40.

Could you please let me know which oil i can use.
The only 10w30 oil that I've come across is Servo (Indian Oil). By magnatec 10w40 - do you mean Magnatec GTD ?
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote