Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2009, 05:28   #1576
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,749
Thanked: 1,479 Times
Default

Guys My Accent has done around 6.5K kms on Mobil1 now in almost 6 months.
For how many kms more should i use the oil before draining it for new oil.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 06:04   #1577
BHPian
 
sirajbose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 114
Thanked: Once
Default Need help

Guys,

My Verna CRDi is up for its 20000 kms servicing, and I needed some opinions about the oil change. After going through all the posts its evident that semi synthetic or fully synthetic is the way to go, the only confusion is which one. Would appreciate it if someone could point me towards the right direction
  1. Should I go for Semi Synthetic or Fully Synthetic?
  2. Which exact product?
  3. Where can I source it in Mumbai - I would prefer to pick it up myself
  4. Do I need to get the engine flushing done before changing oils?
Thanks!

Last edited by sirajbose : 24th May 2009 at 06:06.
sirajbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 10:27   #1578
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,305
Thanked: 927 Times
Default

i am using petronas syntium 3000 fully synthetic oil in my alto since 9.5 k kms.
i was willing to change the oil but when i checked the dipstick the oil still looks fresh, it has not lost its color (not yet blackened) and the viscosity is also okay.
i confirmed the same with the mechanic. now what shall i do, drive further say 2-3 k kms or straightaway change the oil?
the only thing i can infer from this is petronas has done its duty very well.
amit_mechengg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 13:29   #1579
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tambaram
Posts: 6,482
Thanked: 704 Times
Default

I read somewhere that saying that the engine oil remains clear after extended use is like saying the soap is good because the dishwater looks so clear
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 13:32   #1580
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,955
Thanked: 245 Times
Default

Two possibilities:
1. Your engine is spik and span.
2. Petronas doesn't have a good detergent package.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 15:31   #1581
Senior - BHPian
 
ram_hyundai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calicut ,trisur
Posts: 2,019
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

I am to change the oil for engine and gear box in my swiftZxi.Which is the preffered one for this.I had read the long term report of The mag.he has told the difference of using the syth ones.Any brand in specific has to be used .
kindly give sugestions team
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 20:21   #1582
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,305
Thanked: 927 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
I am to change the oil for engine and gear box in my swiftZxi.Which is the preffered one for this.I had read the long term report of The mag.he has told the difference of using the syth ones.Any brand in specific has to be used .
kindly give sugestions team
ram
i think mobil 1 80W90 shall do the duty very well.
amit_mechengg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 00:58   #1583
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 103 Times
Default

^^^Thats fully synthetic? I didn't know you get fully synthetic gear oils in India? Any idea about price?

Has anybody here used it? Any reviews?

Last edited by Raccoon : 25th May 2009 at 00:59.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 11:32   #1584
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,305
Thanked: 927 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Thats fully synthetic? I didn't know you get fully synthetic gear oils in India? Any idea about price?

Has anybody here used it? Any reviews?
no thats not at all fully synthetic. its a mineral based oil. mostly other oils are rated at just 90 weight and not 80W90. castrol has the greatest confusion. most of the dealers dont know this grade. they recommend TQ-D which is autotransmission oil. strangely there is no grade written on the oil and just a gear snap is put on the can. its very confusing. its written that it may be used with transmissions and power steering gear boxes.

finally after searching the whole pimri chinchwad area, i went to Raka Oil company and got 2 litres of mobil 80W90 oil.
amit_mechengg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 13:01   #1585
BHPian
 
sirajbose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 114
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirajbose View Post
Guys,

My Verna CRDi is up for its 20000 kms servicing, and I needed some opinions about the oil change. After going through all the posts its evident that semi synthetic or fully synthetic is the way to go, the only confusion is which one. Would appreciate it if someone could point me towards the right direction
  1. Should I go for Semi Synthetic or Fully Synthetic?
  2. Which exact product?
  3. Where can I source it in Mumbai - I would prefer to pick it up myself
  4. Do I need to get the engine flushing done before changing oils?
Thanks!
Still waiting for your suggestions team. Would really appreciate the help.
sirajbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 14:48   #1586
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 103 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
no thats not at all fully synthetic. its a mineral based oil. mostly other oils are rated at just 90 weight and not 80W90. castrol has the greatest confusion. most of the dealers dont know this grade. they recommend TQ-D which is autotransmission oil. strangely there is no grade written on the oil and just a gear snap is put on the can. its very confusing. its written that it may be used with transmissions and power steering gear boxes.

finally after searching the whole pimri chinchwad area, i went to Raka Oil company and got 2 litres of mobil 80W90 oil.
Oh ok. In that case it wont be Mobil 1. You mentioned Mobil 1, so I thought it must be fully synthetic.

Currently using IOC Servo oil of similar grade. Thats what the MASS puts in. Would like to use the Mobil gear oil instead... but don't know where I can get a genuine pack.

Castrol is always like that. And thats one of the reasons I don't like them. Even in some of their bike oils, they do not bother to mention even the viscosity. Its obviously a marketing plan - ordinary customer sees a pretty looking Castrol bottle, reads thats its for ALL bikes and just puts it in. If they write viscosity and all, it would limit the market for the product.

As for the automatic transission fluid, few years ago, when my dad was mantaining the car, this was given to him by an oil dealer. He thought it was ok, as it said its for the transmission. And he cooly had it put it into the manual transmission car. Gawd knows if he drove it like that. Had to get it drained and refilled with Servo oil.

Castrol sux.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 17:27   #1587
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tambaram
Posts: 6,482
Thanked: 704 Times
Default

siraj, actually with a few exceptions , most of us diesel vehicle owners are quite happy with mineral oils - with Chevron Delo 400 and Mobil Delvac MX being the favorites

check out http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...gine-oils.html (All about Diesel engine oils) for more info
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 23:55   #1588
BHPian
 
sirajbose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 114
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
siraj, actually with a few exceptions , most of us diesel vehicle owners are quite happy with mineral oils - with Chevron Delo 400 and Mobil Delvac MX being the favorites

check out http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...gine-oils.html (All about Diesel engine oils) for more info
Greenhorn - Thanks for pointing me towards the right direction - Much appreciated!
sirajbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 00:50   #1589
BHPian
 
ravi@64bhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 602
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Anybody has information about semi-synthetic oils from Mobil?
ravi@64bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 11:17   #1590
BHPian
 
subbusos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 151
Thanked: Once
Default Can I switch to synthetic for my i10 Kappa

Please help me in deciding on whether to switch to the synthetic oil for my 6 months old i10. She has done 6700 kms till now. And she is due for second service by June 15th 2009.

Can I switch to synthetic, if yes, which brand to go?
subbusos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to buy Mobil1 / Castrol Synthetic Oil in Mumbai? Max Shifting gears 27 14th June 2015 23:41
Synthetic Oil in Bangalore epyupc Modifications & Accessories 49 29th May 2015 15:03
Oil change..Synthetic, where to source DRC Technical Stuff 21 2nd December 2007 15:00
Synthetic Oil karthik247 Technical Stuff 10 8th November 2005 18:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks