Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2009, 22:54   #2116
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,646
Thanked: 758 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Are you sure? To my knowledge it comes in 1 Ltr and 3 Ltr cans only.
Hi, the oil you're referring is Shell Helix Super 15w-40. It comes in 500 ml,3 and 4 litre cans. Helix Ultra 5w-40 synthetic come in 1 and 4 litres cans only.

I read that Shell also supplies these oils in 200 litre barrels.

Rgds,
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 22:59   #2117
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,963
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Are you sure? To my knowledge it comes in 1 Ltr and 3 Ltr cans only.
Whats your source, Ganesh?
I myself have used a 4L can of Helix Ultra.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 15:19   #2118
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,413
Thanked: 859 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Hi, the oil you're referring is Shell Helix Super 15w-40. It comes in 500 ml,3 and 4 litre cans. Helix Ultra 5w-40 synthetic come in 1 and 4 litres cans only.

I read that Shell also supplies these oils in 200 litre barrels.

Rgds,
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Whats your source, Ganesh?
I myself have used a 4L can of Helix Ultra.
When I went to the Shell bunk at Chromepet to buy a three litre can of Shell Helix Super 15W40 for my Alto, I was informed it comes only in 4 litre cans and only the Helix / Helix Ultra were available in 1 litre and 3 litre cans. So I bought the 4 litre can, and was checking with you guys during the VB meet if I could use the left over oil (1 litre) for my Splendor!
Gansan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 21:30   #2119
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,646
Thanked: 758 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
and was checking with you guys during the VB meet if I could use the left over oil (1 litre) for my Splendor!
Gansan, using a car engine oil in a bike is not a good idea, especially in bikes with wet clutch systems. Car and bike engine characteristics including the operating RPM range and temperatures are very different. Though if I remember correctly the HH 100 CC bikes have a dry clutch.

What you can do is keep the left over oil for top ups OR during your next oil change buy two 1 litre cans and use the left over to total up to a full refill quantity.

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 00:35   #2120
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

^^^ HH 100 cc have a dry clutch?? No sire, I don't think so?!
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 08:42   #2121
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,646
Thanked: 758 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^ HH 100 cc have a dry clutch?? No sire, I don't think so?!
You're right. I stand corrected. It has a wet clutch.

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 11:41   #2122
BHPian
 
LionX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cochin / Bangalore
Posts: 498
Thanked: 504 Times
Default

Got hold of Patronas Urania Supremo CI-4 mineral oil from JC road for my Safari. It also comes in a 7.5Ltr can that is exactly what safari needs . I paid 1450/- for 7.5ltr, thats comes less than 200/ltr. TATA is charging 240/ltr for Castrol GTX which is only CH-4.
LionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 12:01   #2123
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,854
Thanked: 123 Times
Default

Good fine LionX! Guess for the next service, I know from where to procure the oil from!

So, where is this shop at JC road?

EDIT: JC Road as in Bangalore JC Road or is it a place at Cochin???

Last edited by HappyWheels : 27th October 2009 at 12:02.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 12:19   #2124
BHPian
 
LionX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cochin / Bangalore
Posts: 498
Thanked: 504 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Good fine LionX! Guess for the next service, I know from where to procure the oil from!

So, where is this shop at JC road?

EDIT: JC Road as in Bangalore JC Road or is it a place at Cochin???
Yes, its for the second service, mine is at 14500kms now.
Its from Bangalore JC Road itself. The shop name is Real Automobiles, but he ordered it from somewhere else. I got OWC 220 as well for some extra protection.

Now the real challenge is to convince the T.A.S.S to use the oil I got.

Last edited by LionX : 27th October 2009 at 12:21.
LionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 22:24   #2125
BHPian
 
HIGHNOON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Navi MUMBAI
Posts: 484
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Got hold of Patronas Urania Supremo CI-4 mineral oil from JC road for my Safari. It also comes in a 7.5Ltr can that is exactly what safari needs . I paid 1450/- for 7.5ltr, thats comes less than 200/ltr. TATA is charging 240/ltr for Castrol GTX which is only CH-4.
Castrol GTX is very ordinary in my opinion. And i would take the CH-4 spec.also with a pinch of salt.
I would always buy the Shell Helix HX-6 OR even a Valvoline all climate turbo which only meets API-CF4 and even the HP Milcy turbo.
it is unfortunate that castrol sells at a premium over excellent oils .
What you have got is good oil i guess far better than the diff. in API specs over the castrol brew.
The other option is the Mobil Delvac MX which is also a CI-4 rated. retails with distributotrs @ Rs.1600/- for a 10 lit. pack plus vat.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 10:29   #2126
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,413
Thanked: 859 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Today I noticed at the Shell bunk that the price of Shell Helix Ultra has come down. Now the price of 1 litre can is Rs 615.00 and so 3 litre cans should be even cheaper.
There is a correction. There seem to be two grades of Shell Helix Ultra now. The 5W40 oil still costs ~Rs 4000 for a 4 litre can, whereas there is a 15W50 grade too which sells for Rs 615.00 per litre. Anyone got details about this? And for most places with hot summers and without severe winters, the upper number is more significant than the lower one, right?
Gansan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 11:29   #2127
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore/Pune
Posts: 1,179
Thanked: 1,516 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Gansan, using a car engine oil in a bike is not a good idea, especially in bikes with wet clutch systems. Car and bike engine characteristics including the operating RPM range and temperatures are very different. Though if I remember correctly the HH 100 CC bikes have a dry clutch.

Cheers!
All you need to do is that the oil is Jaso-MA compliant. If it is, you can use it in motorcycles.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 2nd November 2009 at 11:35.
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 13:08   #2128
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,646
Thanked: 758 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
All you need to do is that the oil is Jaso-MA compliant. If it is, you can use it in motorcycles.
Yet to see car engine oils that are JASO compliant. Do you know of any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
There is a correction. There seem to be two grades of Shell Helix Ultra now. The 5W40 oil still costs ~Rs 4000 for a 4 litre can, whereas there is a 15W50 grade too which sells for Rs 615.00 per litre. Anyone got details about this? And for most places with hot summers and without severe winters, the upper number is more significant than the lower one, right?
AFAIK, in India SHU available only in 5W-40. Also, the 5w-40 4 litre can is available for Rs 2600-2750 if you go to the correct dealer. As someone advised earlier on this thread, never buy it from the petrol station. I am now using Helix Ultra in my car as that viscosity/grade has been approved by my car's mfr.

PS - As always, go by mfr recommended grades. You really dont want to experiment with engine oils.

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 2nd November 2009 at 13:10.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:09   #2129
BHPian
 
yogi1771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 631
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Shell Helix Ultra 15W-50 at least was available 2yrs back in Mumbai,still have the one liter can with me.
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:18   #2130
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,963
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
whereas there is a 15W50 grade too which sells for Rs 615.00 per litre. Anyone got details about this?
Ok, that clears it.
Shell used to sell Helix Ultra in 15W50 years back.
This was replaced all over Asia-Pacific by the 5W40.

The Rs.615 per litre pricing is because of the vintage.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to buy Mobil1 / Castrol Synthetic Oil in Mumbai? Max Shifting gears 27 14th June 2015 23:41
Synthetic Oil in Bangalore epyupc Modifications & Accessories 49 29th May 2015 15:03
Oil change..Synthetic, where to source DRC Technical Stuff 21 2nd December 2007 15:00
Synthetic Oil karthik247 Technical Stuff 10 8th November 2005 18:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:24.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks