Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2010, 09:36   #2566
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,248 Times
Default

Hi amidoc,

Thank you for the much needed information.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 09:46   #2567
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 133
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

[quote=khoj;2026952]Hi amidoc,

Thank you for the much needed information.[/QUOTE

Welcome, just a piece of advice, pls check the manufacture date/import date of the shell oil before you buy the same. lot of inconsistencies in the stock available with the retailers right from Aug 2008 to Feb 2009.
amidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 21:03   #2568
udy
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalooru
Posts: 19
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Guys,need a help. Planning to change engine oil on my Baleno as it is 10,000 kms after the previous change. Had put in OWS 5W50 last time, but planning to put in OWS 5W40 this time. Since I stay in Bangalore, dont think the temp will ever touch 40 degs till the next oil change. What do you guys suggest?

Also have a small confusion. Can I go back to semi-synthetic without any issues? and also if synthetic, which would be better- Mobil1, Shell Helix Ultra or OWS?
udy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 22:39   #2569
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 274
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by udy View Post
Had put in OWS 5W50 last time, but planning to put in OWS 5W40 this time. Since I stay in Bangalore, dont think the temp will ever touch 40 degs till the next oil change. What do you guys suggest?
You can change to 5W40 if you want, but the 40 does not mean its meant for a temp of 40 degrees. Its just a SAE rating method of viscosity at engine operating temperatures. The part before the W is vaguely related to ambient winter temp. But most people still fill and recommend 15W40 or 20W40 mineral oil even for places like shimla where temp reaches -5C
guptavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 23:12   #2570
udy
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalooru
Posts: 19
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
You can change to 5W40 if you want, but the 40 does not mean its meant for a temp of 40 degrees. Its just a SAE rating method of viscosity at engine operating temperatures. The part before the W is vaguely related to ambient winter temp. But most people still fill and recommend 15W40 or 20W40 mineral oil even for places like shimla where temp reaches -5C
Thanks guptavis. .. My other questionn was if I can go back to Castrol Magnatec semi synth after being on OWS fully synth for almost 10,000 kms?.
Experts, what are the good and bad things of doing this?
udy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2010, 01:31   #2571
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,248 Times
Default

Why would you want to do that? Have you stopped loving your car? what has it done to deserve this?

OK, jokes apart there would be no harm as such. Magnatec by itself is a good product. To your car it will be like toned milk instead of full cream but still milk nevertheless. To you the engine may feel a little rough and strained or not so rev free after a few hundred kilometers of the change. Apart from that nothing much, the car would still run.


Quote:
Originally Posted by udy View Post
Thanks guptavis. .. My other questionn was if I can go back to Castrol Magnatec semi synth after being on OWS fully synth for almost 10,000 kms?.
Experts, what are the good and bad things of doing this?
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2010, 10:51   #2572
BHPian
 
Lucas_2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: GUWAHATI
Posts: 67
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Why would you want to do that? Have you stopped loving your car? what has it done to deserve this?

OK, jokes apart there would be no harm as such. Magnatec by itself is a good product. To your car it will be like toned milk instead of full cream but still milk nevertheless. To you the engine may feel a little rough and strained or not so rev free after a few hundred kilometers of the change. Apart from that nothing much, the car would still run.
I agree. Changing from Fully Synth to semi synth is worthless in my opinion.With magnatec the engine becomes a bit rough. In my esteem (sold now) i experienced it. IMHO please don't do this.
Lucas_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2010, 22:52   #2573
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,075
Thanked: 186 Times
Default

Hey guys, I have to get my car's engine oil changed in the coming week. I am confused between Mobil Super XHP (or XHP Plus) or Shell hx5. Can you guys share your experiences & compare the two oils to help me make a choice.

Thanks & drive safe.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 16:22   #2574
udy
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalooru
Posts: 19
Thanked: 5 Times
Question

I guess I will stick to synthetic oils for the time being. Now need help in choosing the best brand of synthetic. Which one would you guys suggest for a Baleno ? Shell Helix, Mobil1 or OWS?. Please suggest if there are any other good and proven brands available. Also which would be better for Bangalore conditions- 5w40 or 5w50?. Any/all help is appreciated.
udy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 17:16   #2575
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,248 Times
Default

You could simply continue with OWS. In case you do want to change brands then Mobil1 is now approved by and available at MUL service centers. My service center poured 0W40 into the engine but the bill says 5W40 as that is the approved grade, hope that helps.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 20:40   #2576
Senior - BHPian
 
Klub Class's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KA17|KL65|KL41
Posts: 3,416
Thanked: 662 Times
Default

My Wagon-R Lxi has clocked 59k+ kms.

I would like to know whether fully synthetic oil at interval of 10-12k kms will be more protective for the engine compared to the mineral oil.

And If I plan to switch over to synthetic -

- What will be the recommended 'Flushing Oil'?

Amith
Klub Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 23:42   #2577
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: goa
Posts: 979
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by udy View Post
I guess I will stick to synthetic oils for the time being. Now need help in choosing the best brand of synthetic. Which one would you guys suggest for a Baleno ? Shell Helix, Mobil1 or OWS?. Please suggest if there are any other good and proven brands available. Also which would be better for Bangalore conditions- 5w40 or 5w50?. Any/all help is appreciated.
I have used Helix Ultra and Mobil 1 every alternate service on my baleno. They are both equally good.
Does Maruti now supply Mobil1 officially? And what do they charge per litre?
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 15:38   #2578
Senior - BHPian
 
devarshi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ahmedabad - Tor
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 101 Times
Default

I wonder why we dont see Silkolene or Fuchs around in India... I have heard good reviews about them.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 15:52   #2579
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,248 Times
Default

You should stick to mineral oil or Semi synthetic oil at best. Castrol Magnatec, Mobil 1000 or similar. A fully synthetic oil will degunk your engine and that may not be desirable at this milage. For same reasons avoid flushing too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
My Wagon-R Lxi has clocked 59k+ kms.

I would like to know whether fully synthetic oil at interval of 10-12k kms will be more protective for the engine compared to the mineral oil.

And If I plan to switch over to synthetic -

- What will be the recommended 'Flushing Oil'?

Amith
I paid 3.9K for 3.3 litres of Mobil1 + Filter + labour charges. It is more expensive than buying 4L of Mobil 1 pack from the market but I wanted a MASS bill behind my Swift Zxi's move from mineral to synthetic to ensure continued coverage of its various bells and whistles under extended warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
I have used Helix Ultra and Mobil 1 every alternate service on my baleno. They are both equally good.
Does Maruti now supply Mobil1 officially? And what do they charge per litre?
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 22:56   #2580
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 860
Thanked: 221 Times
Default

Honda service center camp in Tirunelveli did not have synthetic oil and advised me to get from outside. After much searching, I found one shop with 10W50 Mobil1 at >4K/4L. I called up the SA and was told to get only 0W30 or 10W30 oil. The shopkeeper told me that that grade is mineral oil and fully synthetic oil is 10W50 only. He also said that the oil needs to be changed at 25K Kms. Only oil filter needs to be changed every 10K Kms. Now I'm confused. Can someone tel me the grade of fully synthetic oil to be used in NHC. and the approx. cost.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to buy Mobil1 / Castrol Synthetic Oil in Mumbai? Max Shifting gears 27 14th June 2015 23:41
Synthetic Oil in Bangalore epyupc Modifications & Accessories 49 29th May 2015 15:03
Oil change..Synthetic, where to source DRC Technical Stuff 21 2nd December 2007 15:00
Synthetic Oil karthik247 Technical Stuff 10 8th November 2005 18:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks