Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Old 4th October 2016, 19:38   #4531
Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
The MJD needs an oil with ratings no less than ACEA B4. Just check if it meets ACEA B4 or higher. It should work.

Thanks for the India-Spec web-link, it is ACEA B4. I guess it'll work.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 18:53   #4532

Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Can anyone comment on these oils -

The page states that it is a Korean brand and has some proprietory high viscosity that makes it ideal for cars. Sells rather cheap.

Price: 1,700
Sale: 1,122 + 199.94 Delivery charge
You Save: 578 (34%)

And there's this -

Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (4 L)
M.R.P.: 5,500
Price: 4,075 FREE Delivery. Details
You Save: 1,425 (26%)

While the Mobil is a sweet looking deal, this page seems to show that Zic is an OEM for General Motors. Worth a try or not? The reviews on Amazon seem genuine and positive

So did you buy the Zic one? I'm also thinking of going for Zic x7 5w30 for my zen estilo, its selling for 1200 for fully synthetic...seems to be a sweet deal?
Haste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 19:24   #4533
Senior - BHPian

As it is rather cheap even without the discount I am waiting for some brave soul to do so and wait for his review first.

My shell fully synthetic 5W40 has a month or so more before I have to change it so I don't plan to stock up on engine oil in advance.

Zen Estilo will go on just fine on mineral or semi synth oil - so any kind of fully synth oil has to be better than that, even if not as good as Shell.

The reason it is this cheap is that someone seems to be importing it in drums and bottling it here for local resale.

Let us hope there's no quality loss in this process.

Last edited by hserus : 6th October 2016 at 19:25.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 02:04   #4534

Fully Synthetic engine oils come in different classifications. As of a few years ago Shell had Group 3 oils. So was Castrol. In comparison, Shell's fared far better for Group 3 oils and Castrols were crap. We tried several vendors like Motul, Mobil, Petronas who has Group 5 and some Group 4 oils too. There was lot of information and discussion I have shared but don't recollect whether it is on TeamBHP or XBHP.

You can sure find the information either in this thread or in the Engine Oils thread in XBHP.
MotoKris is offline   Reply With Quote