Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Old 1st June 2017, 12:54   #4726
BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Shell semi-synth 10W40 available at the Shell pumps is a great working oil. I use this in my Honda and get it changed every 5-6k kms. Manufacturers are switching to lower viscosity oils as they can be pumped around faster inside an engine which improves cooling and prevents cold-start damages. Also, better/ cleaner fuel quality reduces the formation of gums and deposits within the engine.
If oil changes (along with the oil-filter) are regular then you wouldn't have to bother about sludge build ups and additives.
Crankpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 10:25   #4727
BHPian

Can we change from Mineral Oil to Synthetic Oil in bikes too (without negative effect)?

Pulsar 200 (2008 Model)
DevendraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 13:59   #4728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevendraG View Post
Can we change from Mineral Oil to Synthetic Oil in bikes too (without negative effect)?

Pulsar 200 (2008 Model)
I did exactly that on my Pulsar 150 (2006 model). Switched from Castrol mineral oil to Shell fully synthetic. The result was fabulous . Absolutely no negative effects.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 14:44   #4729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
Shell semi-synth 10W40 available at the Shell pumps is a great working oil. I use this in my Honda and get it changed every 5-6k kms. Manufacturers are switching to lower viscosity oils as they can be pumped around faster inside an engine which improves cooling and prevents cold-start damages. Also, better/ cleaner fuel quality reduces the formation of gums and deposits within the engine.
If oil changes (along with the oil-filter) are regular then you wouldn't have to bother about sludge build ups and additives.
Not that its any of my business, but last I checked, the prices of Shell Oil at the Shell Pumps wasnt competitive at all with market prices in my city. I ultimately ended up ordering from amazon and got the fully synthetic Shell Helix Ultra 5W50 (or 40) dont remember for sure, for Rs. 3100 (4 Litre can)when the Shell pump wasnt ready to sell below Rs. 5200. I think the MRP was Rs. 5500/- at that time.
Racer911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 16:36   #4730
BHPian

I agree they aren't competitive but to prevent buying spurious/ duplicate stuff at other retailers or even online, I buy it from the pump. Besides, they offer a free oil change service so it's ok
Crankpin is offline   Reply With Quote