Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Old 17th September 2017, 13:32   #4771
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
One doubt: The Liqui Moly engine oil which I have in my 800, is certified as BMW and Mercedes Long Life oil. Does it come under extended drain category??
I am no automobile engine designer or oil manufacturer. But I am pretty good at maintaining my vehicles not just the outsides but the innards too. So, let me take a stab at this.

In my experience gathered over decades of using 2 and 4 wheelers, drain intervals are set by the engine manufacturer, not the oil manufacturer. Why? It is mainly the engine designer/manufacturer who has the full technical characteristics of the engine, most of which are proprietary secrets and unavailable to outsiders. So it is they who are the authority on what oil should be used and what is the recommended drain interval for each engine. With the exception of a select few people outside the company (for e.g. part manufacturers), the rest of us car driving or bike riding humanity just play guessing games.

I've read some of what Liqui Moly says with interest and some oils are good for up to 40K kms (!!) but LM also add a caveat and recommend you to follow manufacturer guidelines. Which brings me back to square one i.e. read the manual and follow its advice.

BTW I was in an email conversation with a bloke from LM about the synthetic GB oil and suggested engine oil for my car. Sadly his recommended oil isn't available in India as yet. Well, may be some other time.

In case you are interested, Amsoil, one of the most well known US synthetic oil brands, is now available in India. Had a word with their distributor Greaves Cotton who are based out of Pune. Amsoil's Signature series of synthetic oils are very good and have a drain interval of 25K miles or 40K kms. Read more here http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=ASLQT-EA

Quote:
I have run 10,885 kms on that oil to be precise, but it still hasn't lost its color, texture or smoothness. I am changing it soon just because it has run 10k kms and you had recommended to follow manufacturer's drain interval, irrespective of the type of oil. So, should I change immediately or should I extend it till 15k kms, given that they are certified as Long Life oil for cars like BMW. Using such an oil in a Japanese car like 800, is like subjecting the oil to a relaxing government job.
I think you could pull on a couple of 1000 kms. But don't extend it too much. At the end of the day Maruti knows best given the era in which these engines were designed and manufactured. A lot has changed since then.

EDIT: Amsoil Oil available at Amazon India: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00EXBSLBC?...71271_52946411Currently OOS but they'll be back. They're also planning to get a 1 US quart (0.946 litre) can. Contact details on Amazon's site in the Q&A section for this product.

Last edited by R2D2 : 17th September 2017 at 13:48. Reason: Added info on Amsoil at Amazon India
R2D2 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote