Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2008, 16:25   #1141
Senior - BHPian
 
Sudipto-S-Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,289
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

Hi GPA
To be honest, unless one uses all the brands one cannot pass a judgement on which is better and which is worse. I am using Mobil 1 because it is heavily recommended everywhere by everyone. And I am quite happy with it. But if you ask me I cannot prove that it's better or worse than X, Y or Z. So go ahead with Mobil 5W50. After all it's a globally very big name. You can't really go drastically wrong with it. The other big names that are available in India are Motul, Valvoline. Shell etc. Of course Castrol is also big.
Sudipto
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 16:33   #1142
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 42
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Hi all!!
Just remembered, while at the service station, the service engineer showed me a can of Wynn's engine oil additive that had a price of Rs350/-. Was not sure and hence skipped it. Can anybody throw some light on this pls. Are additives good? What are the brands recommended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Sigh... your oil will be severly stressed! If you use mineral, you might be better off changing every 6 months at the very max., or even earlier!
Hi gpa,
I had got the dealer details from Just dial sometime back and there is one who is near jalahalli cross on the Ayappa temple road, next to dena bank. Check it out if the distance is not a problem for u. Call up just dial and ask for the Mobil dealer near jalahalli, they will give u the phone number of the dealer that i'am talking about.
5W50 is what they have for pertol even though the recommended is 20w40 for a swift. Pls check ur car manual for the recommended oil grade. 5W50 is safe and i agree with Sudipto, it is used the world over, it cant be bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Where to buy synthetic oil in Bangalore?

Hi All,

Like, lohit, I too have the similar query. Where can I buy synthetic oil in Bangalore. Have wandered around some shops in JC Road, but was not too sure of the quality.

Also, which would be the best synthetic oil for a Maruti Alto. I would like to change to a synthetic oil at my next service, so your inputs on these two queries would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

gpa

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th October 2008 at 20:30.
prats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 18:52   #1143
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: bombay
Posts: 440
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

S_S_Team ; dont forget OWS engine oil - I would only use mobil 1 or OWS man.
Shell's better formula's are abroad
cyneverdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 20:51   #1144
gpa
Senior - BHPian
 
gpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,724
Thanked: 204 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Hi GPA
To be honest, unless one uses all the brands one cannot pass a judgement on which is better and which is worse. I am using Mobil 1 because it is heavily recommended everywhere by everyone. And I am quite happy with it. But if you ask me I cannot prove that it's better or worse than X, Y or Z. So go ahead with Mobil 5W50. Sudipto
Thanks for your inputs Sudipto.

So for the Alto, you recommed the 5W 50? I am planning to switch to Mobil 1 at my 10,000 KMS oil change.

Also, as I have been using a synthetic oil for the first 10,000 KMS, will I have to flush my engine before the switch to Mobil 1?

I have heard from a few threads on this website of something known as "engine flushing" when changing from mineral oils to synthetic.

Looking forward to your inputs on the same.

Thanks,

Pritish
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 20:59   #1145
gpa
Senior - BHPian
 
gpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,724
Thanked: 204 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prats View Post
Hi gpa,
I had got the dealer details from Just dial sometime back and there is one who is near jalahalli cross on the Ayappa temple road, next to dena bank. Check it out if the distance is not a problem for u. Call up just dial and ask for the Mobil dealer near jalahalli, they will give u the phone number of the dealer that i'am talking about.
5W50 is what they have for pertol even though the recommended is 20w40 for a swift. Pls check ur car manual for the recommended oil grade. 5W50 is safe and i agree with Sudipto, it is used the world over, it cant be bad
Hi prats,

Thanks for the info. As a matter of fact, I do happen to stay close to Jalahalli Cross (about 5 kms) so checking out that place won't be a problem.

I will call up just dial and ask them about the exact address. If you do happen to have the address and contacts, it would be great if you could pass them on.

Based on Sudipto's & your inputs I checked the manual of my Alto and it reads that the recommended engine oil is SF 20W 40.

Would the oil that you recommeded suit the Alto? Any inputs prats and Sudipto??

Thanks in advance,

gpa
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 20:16   #1146
BHPian
 
archat68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 603
Thanked: 130 Times
Default

5W50 is better than 20W40 and is suited for colder temperature. For Bangalore weather 5W50 will be overkill IMO. 20W40 will be good enough.

Last edited by archat68 : 10th October 2008 at 20:18.
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 20:28   #1147
gpa
Senior - BHPian
 
gpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,724
Thanked: 204 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
5W50 is better than 20W40 and is suited for colder temperature. For Bangalore weather 5W50 will be overkill IMO. 20W40 will be good enough.
Hi archat68,

Thanks for your input. Does Mobil 1 have an oil thats 20W 40? If they dont, I will have to go in for the 5W 50 I think.

Will there be any problems if I switch to the 5W 50 instead of the 20W 40?

Appreciate your inputs on this.

Thanks,

gpa
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 20:50   #1148
BHPian
 
archat68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 603
Thanked: 130 Times
Default

Try this page:
Results for '+country:India, +mobil +1, +umobil'
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 02:07   #1149
BHPian
 
pulsarmaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 224
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

do you guys think one should go for these costly synthetic oils or the regular castrol shell or gulf oils for indian bikes.do you need synthetica oil for our pulsars and zmas which mostly run in reserved oil in the tank.doesnt look like an idea which will influence the masses
pulsarmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 00:14   #1150
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,544
Thanked: 780 Times
Default

Ok,as far as the engine goes, I'm pretty fine running mineral oils and a 5000k oil change interval.

But recently i read elsewhere ( indica user group IIRC) that synthetic is better for the turbo, prevents coking or something like that.

Any Opinions ?
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 06:16   #1151
Senior - BHPian
 
Sudipto-S-Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,289
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Hi archat68,

Thanks for your input. Does Mobil 1 have an oil thats 20W 40? If they dont, I will have to go in for the 5W 50 I think.

Will there be any problems if I switch to the 5W 50 instead of the 20W 40?

Appreciate your inputs on this.

Thanks,

gpa
Hi GPA
Sorry that I was away for a few days and didn't see your questions. Mobil 1 is available only in 5w50 in India. 5w50 is a kind of all encompassing grade and sort of one size fits all approach by Mobil. It is way superior to 20w40 in terms of ability to retain its viscosity at high and low temperatures. So yes you could go for it in your Alto.
Just ensure that your mechanic waits for the last drop of the oil to drain out before adding the new oil. They generally tend to get very restless and not wait that long. You have to be very firm.
Sudipto
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 11:35   #1152
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,610
Thanked: 14,894 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Ok,as far as the engine goes, I'm pretty fine running mineral oils and a 5000k oil change interval.

But recently i read elsewhere ( indica user group IIRC) that synthetic is better for the turbo, prevents coking or something like that.

Any Opinions ?
Go for a higher spec oil for example Castrol GTX diesel API-CI4, much higher grade than the API-CF4 required by indica, and change every 6K kms or so, your engine will last 1.5L kms easily.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 09:36   #1153
Senior - BHPian
 
Sudipto-S-Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,289
Thanked: 242 Times
Default The funda on brake fluid

I wanted to understand if there was a similar difference (and debate) between mineral based and fully synthetic brake fluid. Can the gurus share the knowledge about brake fluids?
What is the recommendation?
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 10:15   #1154
Senior - BHPian
 
DieselFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,550
Thanked: 182 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I wanted to understand if there was a similar difference (and debate) between mineral based and fully synthetic brake fluid. Can the gurus share the knowledge about brake fluids?
What is the recommendation?
Breke and Gear Box oils do not reach high tempratures as engine oil does. Also Engine runs at a much higher RPM and needs better lubrication. So using manufacturer recommended Brake or Gear Box oil would be fine and anything over and above that would be an overkill. I believe even for engine oil Mineral oils with regular changes are just fine. Synthetics are just hyped up.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 02:46   #1155
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 103 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Breke and Gear Box oils do not reach high tempratures as engine oil does. Also Engine runs at a much higher RPM and needs better lubrication. So using manufacturer recommended Brake or Gear Box oil would be fine and anything over and above that would be an overkill. I believe even for engine oil Mineral oils with regular changes are just fine. Synthetics are just hyped up.
Don't quite agree with that. Transmission lubrication is no mean task! Just use your best engine oil for the transmission and see what happens, if you have any doubts! Gear oil is very differently formulated, with extreme pressure additives, etc and has to withstand very high shearing forces. Synthetics can do a much better job here too... but admittedly, if made to choose between the two, it is perhaps the engine which will benefit the most from a longer life, if a synth is used there!
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to buy Mobil1 / Castrol Synthetic Oil in Mumbai? Max Shifting gears 27 14th June 2015 23:41
Synthetic Oil in Bangalore epyupc Modifications & Accessories 49 29th May 2015 15:03
Oil change..Synthetic, where to source DRC Technical Stuff 21 2nd December 2007 15:00
Synthetic Oil karthik247 Technical Stuff 10 8th November 2005 18:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks