Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2009, 03:07   #181
Senior - BHPian
 
v1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR - chasing cars...
Posts: 4,836
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
I thought the Linea only came out with the 1.3L MJD with VGT instead of the FGT and thus 90BHP?
I didn't say the Lineas in India came with a 1.6 MJD. I said there is a 1.6 MJD abroad and that thing's clutch might be useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
@v1p3r
How do you think Subaru manages the TMIC set-up w.r.t heat soak from the engine? I have just seen a Subaru from its exterior and never managed to get a glimps of the engine bay. There is just 1 Impreza in Delhi that i know of, painted in WRC graphics.
The above disscussion made me very inquisitive about how Subaru manages their TMIC since they run the same for their rally cars.
You have to realise Subaru runs flat-4 boxer engines in the Impreza and Forester STI. These engines are mounted far ahead of the front axle, leaving little space for a FMIC under normal manufacturing circumstances. However, the engines are very wide but not deep, and thus there is a lot of space behind it taken by the gearbox and links to the AWD system. The TMIC actually sits on top of the gearbox, and thus receives less heat than you would think. For high HP applications, even the 'Rexes run FMICs. The Subaru WRC car, in fact, runs an FMIC behind the front grille, and runs an air intake under the 'power bulge'.

Here's a couple of pictures to that effect: Behind the grill intercooler - NASIOC
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 20:46   #182
BHPian
 
abhik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 848
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
You have to realise Subaru runs flat-4 boxer engines in the Impreza and Forester STI. These engines are mounted far ahead of the front axle, leaving little space for a FMIC under normal manufacturing circumstances. However, the engines are very wide but not deep, and thus there is a lot of space behind it taken by the gearbox and links to the AWD system. The TMIC actually sits on top of the gearbox, and thus receives less heat than you would think. For high HP applications, even the 'Rexes run FMICs. The Subaru WRC car, in fact, runs an FMIC behind the front grille, and runs an air intake under the 'power bulge'.

Here's a couple of pictures to that effect: Behind the grill intercooler - NASIOC
Thanks for the info! I had no clue Subaru runs flat 4 Boxers. I checked out the pics on the link and knew exactly how the IC on it fuctions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I didn't say the Lineas in India came with a 1.6 MJD. I said there is a 1.6 MJD abroad and that thing's clutch might be useful.
You're not a big fan of FIAT are you?
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 03:11   #183
Senior - BHPian
 
v1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR - chasing cars...
Posts: 4,836
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

I'm a big fan of reliability. In my personal experience, FIAT cars have failed to display this particular trait. FIAT-developed engines, on the other hand, I have no complaints with as of now. My current drive is a 1.3 MJD enhanced by the superior ownership experience of Maruti by means of a Swift.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 13:35   #184
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: India
Posts: 1,745
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Have just posted a set of new questions on the performance mods for the elantra thread, it would be nice if you guys could contribute to the discussion there.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1149513 (Performance Mods for Elantra CRDi)
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 21:50   #185
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: India
Posts: 1,745
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Been reading up on Propane fumigation and Methanol+water injection
I'm not planning to install all this, but just wondering..does anyone have 1st hand experience with both systems?
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 16:48   #186
BHPian
 
rajchetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Thailand / Vietnam / HK / Bangalore
Posts: 318
Thanked: 50 Times
Default

Hey Guys!

i have read all the diesel car treads on the forum, but have not found a single post which shows how to improve the performance of a Indica V2DLX (NA).

i am looking to improve my 5year cars performance.
1) how to improve the pick up.
2) Improve the in gear acceleration
3) improve the engine sound.

i considered the KN filters but have not found a single post claming that it workson the indica.

kindly suggest.
rajchetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 19:19   #187
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 43,472
Thanked: 61,702 Times
Default

Raj, if you want my honest advice, don't do anything to the NA Indica. Won't be worth it.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 19:37   #188
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tambaram
Posts: 6,482
Thanked: 707 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
Hey Guys!

i have read all the diesel car treads on the forum, but have not found a single post which shows how to improve the performance of a Indica V2DLX (NA).

i am looking to improve my 5year cars performance.
1) how to improve the pick up.
2) Improve the in gear acceleration
3) improve the engine sound.

i considered the KN filters but have not found a single post claming that it workson the indica.

kindly suggest.
use iftex system D regularly
clean the air filter periodically
use a better grade of engine oil ( we've discussed that in the engine oil thread)

If you really need the performance, sell the indica and get a new indigo CS TDI/Dicor
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 07:34   #189
BHPian
 
johnda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tvla
Posts: 402
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Been reading up on...Methanol+water injection..
well, if ever you meet folks who have access to this sort chemicals, Pls remember me... Been looking all over for methanol for R/C aero fuel
johnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 10:05   #190
Senior - BHPian
 
ImmortalZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,124
Thanked: 82 Times
Default

You have to go look at a chemicals supplier. There is one in Trivandrum, near the overbridge, opposite to Planet M.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 22:17   #191
BHPian
 
rajchetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Thailand / Vietnam / HK / Bangalore
Posts: 318
Thanked: 50 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
use iftex system D regularly
clean the air filter periodically
use a better grade of engine oil ( we've discussed that in the engine oil thread)
Whats Iftex System D.. How does it help?
I regularly Dust the Air filter with a Blower, that should do i gus.
Engine oil i am considering Mobil 1 Delvac MX as i have already tried castrol GTX. But how different is Mobil 1 compared to GTX. Suggest from where can i buy it at b'lore?
rajchetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2009, 02:39   #192
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Pete's box for optra magnum

Hi,
Any body has peted his Optra Magnum?
kj302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 00:38   #193
BHPian
 
dockap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 840
Thanked: 362 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj302 View Post
Hi,
Any body has peted his Optra Magnum?
dont know but if you sponser me i will do it and give you a detailed report
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 19:18   #194
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 87
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Great Thread! Wish I had read it earlier. Got a 2004 Safari with 100000km on it, want to spruce up the performance, any suggestions?
ab500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 10:10   #195
BHPian
 
srikant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 488
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
Whats Iftex System D.. How does it help?
I regularly Dust the Air filter with a Blower, that should do i gus.
Engine oil i am considering Mobil 1 Delvac MX as i have already tried castrol GTX. But how different is Mobil 1 compared to GTX. Suggest from where can i buy it at b'lore?
System D is an addictive mixed with diesel which is supposed to enhance engine smoothness and keep the engine clean.

Blowing the dust off the filter will be sufficient. Else you can go for CAI (Cold Air Intake). Petes comes with complete dynamisation kit with green cotton filter for swift. Dunno about Indica. You can get details Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited
srikant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$) GTO On buying a car 371 26th September 2016 11:45
ARTICLE: How to Modify / Tune your car GTO On modifying a car 250 5th May 2016 14:32
How to modify a diesel engine??? v12 Technical Stuff 64 6th March 2008 21:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:13.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks