Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2014, 12:28   #271
BHPian
 
allien936's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 92
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance

Have a query regarding Direct Air Intake.
What is the difference between DAI(Direct Air Intake) and CAI (Cold Air Intake).?
Has any BHPian tried it on a diesel car?
Cosworth supplies with an import specifically for skoda fabia 1.4 Tdi, has any one tried it.?
Does any other supplier provide it specifically for 1.4Tdi engines?
Help me out here as i'm thinking of putting one for my car making it accelerate a bit faster.
allien936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 21:24   #272
BHPian
 
allien936's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 92
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance



A very important Video by Mighty Car Mods. As most of the indian cars are having naturally aspirated engines, adding a CAI (Cold Air Intake) does make a difference to the power gains. So i am going ahead with the Cosworth CAI, and will keep you posted.
Regards
Keep Revvin'
allien936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2014, 04:57   #273
BHPian
 
Morph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 39
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by allien936 View Post
Have a query regarding Direct Air Intake.
What is the difference between DAI(Direct Air Intake) and CAI (Cold Air Intake).?
Has any BHPian tried it on a diesel car?
Cosworth supplies with an import specifically for skoda fabia 1.4 Tdi, has any one tried it.?
Does any other supplier provide it specifically for 1.4Tdi engines?
Help me out here as i'm thinking of putting one for my car making it accelerate a bit faster.
No, think about this really carefully.

You engine burns a mixture of super heated air and Diesel fuel injected at super high presssure.

The air entering your engine has passed through an air filter, a turbo (which is really hot) and an intercooller where it was coolled down to increase it's density.

It was then sent into the cylinder, via an induction system, where it was squashed a lot and heated to almost 700 Deg C before the Diesel fuel was injected. The fuel was added in about 300 seperate pulses of the injectors - the first few heated the cylinder some more, the next big mass of pulses made the super heat that makes the power stroke, and then a few extra pulses were added to clean up the exhaust gasses a little.

The spent air then leaves the engine via the exhaust system, and some of it is used to spool the turbo for the next boost, but a lot of it is just sent into the exhaust - bypassing the turbo if the pressure is too high - in old fashion speak a "Dump Valve" is used to release extra pressure.

Your act of adding a CAI will cool the initial temp by probably 1-2 Deg C - so little a change that the ECU won't even notice it. And by the time the air has been through the turbo and the intercooller the difference will be 0.1 Deg C +/- which is too little to be detected even by NASA let alone an ECU.

In short you are buying noise, nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allien936 View Post
...A very important Video by Mighty Car Mods. As most of the indian cars are having naturally aspirated engines, adding a CAI (Cold Air Intake) does make a difference to the power gains. So i am going ahead with the Cosworth CAI, and will keep you posted.
Regards
Keep Revvin'
No - Again think carefully. The air entering an NA engine passes through the air filter, and then into the standard induction system - throttle (in a petrol engine), FI system, manifolds etc. Anything you add with a CAI is negated by the time the air actually enters the engine including temps. A lot of ECUs don't even measure air density anyway, only airflow.

The VVT / VTEC systems in modern engines are not actually there to add power - they are there to make really powerful engines more flexible. How else can Honda make a 198hp 1.6 4 cyl usable ? (Civic Type R)

Also remember the S2000 is a full on performance machine, the engine is actually detuned for the road to make it acceptible in terms of driveability for the road - so any de-restriction is going to show a gain.

Mighty car mods also tested CAIs on other cars - the result was, if anything, worse.

If you think I am wrong then please prove it - get a CAI and measure the intake temps the ECU sees (accessible via the OBDII port) ABA - After / Before / After. I think you won't see any difference at all. The Scangauge, Ultragauge etc. give you these values.
Morph is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2014, 11:43   #274
BHPian
 
brraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 784
Thanked: 338 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance

I had installed CAI in my stock Ford ikon 1.6 Nxt.
Without CAI - slow after 160kmph to reach 190kmph.
With CAI - speedo touches 200kmph without any lag from 160kmph.

I have installed Stock replacement K&N filter in my Polo 1.6 GT Tdi.
Without K&N - slow after 160kmph to reach 200kmph.
With K&N - speedo touches 200kmph without much lag from 160kmph.

These after market Air filters makes a difference in TOP END only.
If you are not interested in TOP end then these are waste of money.

Last edited by brraj : 2nd December 2014 at 11:45.
brraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2014, 13:16   #275
BHPian
 
allien936's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 92
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
These after market Air filters makes a difference in TOP END only.
If you are not interested in TOP end then these are waste of money.
I am looking for both, high end and also low end power so that i don't have to change gears in constantly in traffic. Cosworth claims that it will provide power at low ends also. Some one has to try it first, so i'm taking the heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post
If you think I am wrong then please prove it - get a CAI and measure the intake temps the ECU sees (accessible via the OBDII port) ABA - After / Before / After. I think you won't see any difference at all. The Scangauge, Ultragauge etc. give you these values.
Have ordered the CAI already so will let you know the results and i am hoping for some power gains. Will keep you posted for the improvements. Dyno testing will be done, but after putting a free flow exhaust.
allien936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2014, 15:17   #276
BHPian
 
brraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 784
Thanked: 338 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by allien936 View Post
Dyno testing will be done, but after putting a free flow exhaust.
You have to first dyno stock car and dyno after mods as well to know the exact difference.
brraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2014, 00:25   #277
BHPian
 
Morph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 39
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by allien936 View Post
Have ordered the CAI already so will let you know the results and i am hoping for some power gains. Will keep you posted for the improvements. Dyno testing will be done, but after putting a free flow exhaust.
It seems this user is banned but for info a standard Polo 1.4 TDI (either the 75 or 80hp model) can be remapped to 100hp quite easily. They can both make this power whilst retaining the standard air filter and exhaust system - they just have the extra performance available - as quietly and as smoothly as before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
I had installed CAI in my stock Ford ikon 1.6 Nxt.
Without CAI - slow after 160kmph to reach 190kmph.
With CAI - speedo touches 200kmph without any lag from 160kmph.

I have installed Stock replacement K&N filter in my Polo 1.6 GT Tdi.
Without K&N - slow after 160kmph to reach 200kmph.
With K&N - speedo touches 200kmph without much lag from 160kmph.

These after market Air filters makes a difference in TOP END only.
If you are not interested in TOP end then these are waste of money.
Do you have a dyno figure for each of these cars ? I fitted a K&N panel replacement to my Aygo and it did seem slightly better at full-on rpm but nothing startling.
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 10:22   #278
BHPian
 
brraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 784
Thanked: 338 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post
Do you have a dyno figure for each of these cars ?
No, Usually we don't dyno for just k&n filter addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post
I fitted a K&N panel replacement to my Aygo and it did seem slightly better at full-on rpm but nothing startling.
Is your Aygo Petrol/Diesel?
Is is remapped?
brraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2015, 04:31   #279
BHPian
 
Morph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 39
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
No, Usually we don't dyno for just k&n filter addition.
So really your claims are subjective - "it felt better" - just like mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Is your Aygo Petrol/Diesel?
Is is remapped?
My Aygo was petrol and not remapped - that would be a waste of money and time.
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 11:50   #280
BHPian
 
brraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 784
Thanked: 338 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post
So really your claims are subjective - "it felt better" - just like mine.
No, To find any performance mods gains we usually drag with our friends car to find the difference instead of spending 3-4k for dynos.
brraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2015, 02:05   #281
BHPian
 
Morph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 39
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
No, To find any performance mods gains we usually drag with our friends car to find the difference instead of spending 3-4k for dynos.
Which is kind of the same thing, maybe ?

I tried something similar with my Aygo - changed filters and then videoed the performance of the car between two points in the same gear and foot flat down several times with each type of filter.

None of them showed any real change, and a CAI showed nothing at all.
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2015, 10:41   #282
BHPian
 
brraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 784
Thanked: 338 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post
I tried something similar with my Aygo - changed filters
I have no idea about your Aygo, It has shown performance increase in our cars Period.
brraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015, 12:14   #283
BHPian
 
v_safari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 111
Thanked: 56 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance

Hello All,

Has anyone tried to swap the exhaust with a turbo-back straight pipes (cat-delete, resonator-delete) ?
I'm planning to do this on my swift (D). I've seen a lot of people from europe do this on their VW's and mercs.
v_safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2015, 03:18   #284
BHPian
 
Morph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 39
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
I have no idea about your Aygo, It has shown performance increase in our cars Period.
Sorry, not convinced - but that doesn't matter.



Quote:
Originally Posted by v_safari View Post
Hello All,

Has anyone tried to swap the exhaust with a turbo-back straight pipes (cat-delete, resonator-delete) ?
I'm planning to do this on my swift (D). I've seen a lot of people from europe do this on their VW's and mercs.
Is your car remapped ? If not start there.
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 00:04   #285
BHPian
 
v_safari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 111
Thanked: 56 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post



Is your car remapped ? If not start there.
Mine is remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. Max power map. According to Vivek from T-O-T, there is still some juice left (a little more power based map).
v_safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$) GTO On buying a car 371 26th September 2016 11:45
ARTICLE: How to Modify / Tune your car GTO On modifying a car 250 5th May 2016 14:32
How to modify a diesel engine??? v12 Technical Stuff 64 6th March 2008 21:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:05.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks