Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Old 3rd June 2011, 17:28   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukderebail View Post
What is the lifespan of a tubeless tyre, how often one needs wheel alignment to undertaken inorder to avoid wear and tear of the tyre any idea guys. My OEM tyre on A Star is JK Vectra.
Well, there is thread life and rubber life. Thread life can be seen as worn out thread. And regarding rubber life, after about 5-6 years, the rubber tends to get hard and develop cracks leading to safety issues and reduced grip. It is advisable to change tyres at that point irrespective of thread.

Again, the frequency of alignment hugely depend on the type of roads you traverse. If the roads are perfect then you need to check them only while periodic service. Bad roads warrant an alignment check up every 2000kms.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 16:33   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
regarding rubber life, after about 5-6 years, the rubber tends to get hard and develop cracks leading to safety issues and reduced grip.
Very rightly said but the rubber life in our conditions is approximately 4 yrs rather than 5-6. Tyres should be changed in this time span regardless of tread depth.
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 07:56   #363
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning to change the tyres of my 4 yr old maruti esteem. I think currently what I have is 175/70 R13. Most of my driving is on highways at speeds not exceeding 100kmph.
My usage is quite less, say about 7k kms per yr. The only reason why I am changing them is because they have done 4 years.

Any suggestions on what tyres should I change to?

Regards,
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 23:39   #364
Senior - BHPian

Does the weight of the tyres have any bearing on how the car drives?
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 19:06   #365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Does the weight of the tyres have any bearing on how the car drives?
Hi Devarshi84,

The weight of the following parts do affect how the car drives :
- Tyres
- Wheels
- Brakes (disc/drum/calipers)
- Wheel hubs
- Parts of the suspension and drivetrain

The above are referred to as unsprung weight. Basically, anything that is NOT held up (or "sprung-up") by the suspension.

Basic physics will tell you that the heavier something is, the more inertia it will have, and the more force it will take to change its direction.

Using the above, imagine a heavy tyre hitting a bump at speed, its going to be pushed upwards, and the momentum of that upwards movement will continue to be in effect even after the bump, until the suspension can push the tyre back onto the ground. This results in the wheel losing traction for a while.

If the wheel was lighter, it would change vertical direction faster, and make contact with the road again quickly.

Read more here : Unsprung mass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another thing to keep in mind is rotational inertia. This only applies to the parts of the wheel (or even drivetrain) that are spinning. (wheels, tyres, brake discs). The more mass something has, the harder it is to get it to rotate (acceleration), and also the harder it is to get it to stop rotating (braking).

So thats the theory behind it. If you do a bit of googling, you'll find some real world numbers on how lighter/heavier tyre+wheel combos fare against each other.

cya
R

Quote:
Shaving a pound from your tires is equivalent to shaving at most 2 pounds of non-rotating weight. That's PER TIRE, so a pound off each tire could worth close to 8 pounds of weight reduction. For wheels, the multiplier is closer to 1.6, so saving 5 pounds per wheel (20 total) would feel like a static weight reduction of 32 pounds. For brake discs, it can be as low as 1.2. Regardless of the equivalent weight ratio, you're best off reducing weight as much as possible, as you might expect.
Source : http://hpwizard.com/rotational-inertia.html

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th August 2011 at 19:08.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 19:16   #366
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

i have a swift with Yokohama A drives (195x15x65) with 15" rims. the car handles great now and breaking performance without any abs is magical! off late i noticed that my car tends to swerve slighty to the left. i wonder why... i got them balanced and rotated... she went straight for 2 days and now is back to her antics again!

but the tires are el excelleto! trust me...
naturaldisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 19:57   #367
Team-BHP Support

Please also see the existing discussion here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post1102256 (Whats the weight of your wheel-tyre combo??)

Probably best to continue the discussion in that thread.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 18:28   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
i have a swift with Yokohama A drives (195x15x65) with 15" rims. the car handles great now and breaking performance without any abs is magical! off late i noticed that my car tends to swerve slighty to the left. i wonder why... i got them balanced and rotated... she went straight for 2 days and now is back to her antics again!

but the tires are el excelleto! trust me...

What you need is a 4 wheel alignment. Tires and wheel balanced will only correct the steering shimmy(steering wheel vibrates back and forth at certain speed)
Your car is drifting to the left side and this can be corrected by adjusting the toe,i.e 4 wheel alignment. Good luck and safe motoring
TRAUMASURG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 16:53   #369
BHPian

What is the current market price of Swift VXI Tyre R14 165/80 JK Tyre Tornado or equivalent?

One dealer has quoted 2,200 for JK Tyre. Is this a good price?
bharatbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 19:24   #370
BHPian

If you are changing atleast 2 tyres go for something better @ approx same price tag like apollo acceleres.

Not sure if Apollos are available in 165/80R14.

Last edited by Skyline GT-R : 19th September 2011 at 19:25.
Skyline GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 23:54   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
I am planning to change the tyres of my 4 yr old maruti esteem. I think currently what I have is 175/70 R13. Most of my driving is on highways at speeds not exceeding 100kmph.
I have the Maruti Esteem Di 2004 so I guess we have the same 2004-2007 model. I typically get a pair of Bridgestone tyres on the front and shift the front tyres to the back. The changing in pairs occurs when I have a flat tyre and so get the new tyres for the front wheels or the treads have been worn out (the front tyres wear out sooner, being the drive wheels and because they are used for steering).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Very rightly said but the rubber life in our conditions is approximately 4 yrs rather than 5-6. Tyres should be changed in this time span regardless of tread depth.
I recently went in for a wheel balancing, alignment, and rotation because my last service was done at a nearby workshop and their wheel rotation had different kinds of tyres on either side of the vehicle (typically, I change the tyres in pairs so the front ones are matched to each other, as are the rear ones). I had them check the spare tyre as well and that's when they noticed that the spare tyre was flat. Closer examination revealed that the rim was damaged so could only take on a tyre with a tube. A swap of rims between tyres and a wheel rotation later, I had a perfectly matched front and rear tubeless pairs, and a spare tube tyre.

I have been told to get my tyres changed if: (a) the treads are worn out, (b) 3 years have passed, or (c) 30,000 km have been driven on those tyres. It is a requirement for the annual registration of vehicles in UAE. Some cases did occur in which individuals 'borrow' tyres from another vehicle to renew the registration and then go back to their old set of tyres. The UAE government is planning a unique identification system through bar codes being printed on every tyre being imported into the country and forming a nation-wide tyre database.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 20:07   #372
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAUMASURG View Post
What you need is a 4 wheel alignment. Tires and wheel balanced will only correct the steering shimmy(steering wheel vibrates back and forth at certain speed)
Your car is drifting to the left side and this can be corrected by adjusting the toe,i.e 4 wheel alignment. Good luck and safe motoring
hey thanks for the info. will check. although i think i remember the guy at the tire shop talking of toe in.. i wonder.
naturaldisaster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 23:23   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Guys,

What is the best upsize tyres for the Alto K10.

is 165/65 R13 good instead of OEM 155/65 R13
nkrishnap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 00:33   #374
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Hi Guys,

What is the best upsize tyres for the Alto K10.

is 165/65 R13 good instead of OEM 155/65 R13
The ground-clearance would increase, marginally. Your car would ride slightly higher. The 65 profile on the wider 165 section tyres would mean that the profile (tyre wall) is slightly bigger (65% of 165 millimeters as opposed to 65% of 155 section tyres). The size should be good for the Alto K10 and the wider foot-print should give your car slightly better grip around the bends. Mileage wouldn't be affected. Marginally, if at all.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th September 2011 at 00:36.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 12:26   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

what the concern is Will 165/65 R13 cause any problems of scraping the wheel well when loaded or while The steering is turned to either extremes.

Does spacers have significant impact on The suspension
nkrishnap is online now   Reply With Quote