Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2013, 21:05   #451
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 272
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_bhowmik View Post
Hi All,

Need advice for upgrading tyres of my Ritz vxi. Currently riding on stock JK tornado - 165/70/R14. Have kind of zeroed on Bridgestone taurenza 185/70/R14. Need suggestion.
Turanza is a good tyre. But 185/70 R14 is 14mm increase in radius of tyre which is about 4.8%. i would ask around if it is safe.
guptavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2013, 04:12   #452
BHPian
 
FlatOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Yorkshire Dales
Posts: 300
Thanked: 359 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

I've read lots of posts in this thread I've love to reply to, but it would take forever!

My advice, as an engineer and petrol-head is that unless you are an incompetent driver, err on the tall, narrow side rather than going for wide and low - unless all your roads are perfect and you take your corners at no less than 80mph.

Thirty years ago I would have given the opposite advice - fashion changes. The laws of physics remain the same.
FlatOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 12:48   #453
BHPian
 
suzuki san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Goa & Bombay
Posts: 438
Thanked: 245 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Bridgestone Turanza is a good tyre. If you have zeroed in on it, dont worry. Go ahead.
Hi Nikhil,

Need some advice urgently.

I have just purchased a new Wagon R Vxi which came shod with Maxxis tyres size : 155x65x14 on steel wheels.
As the tyres were produced in October 2012 and I bought the car in June 2013, I was not happy about the age of the tyres and the dealer has finally agreed to change the tyres for me at no cost.

He had agreed to Yokohama (my choice) but I now find that Yoko's are not available in that size. In fact, I have been told by the dealer that only Apollo and Good Year are available in that size. i.e. 155x65x14.
My question is : How good are these two tyre companies? Which is the better of the two? I am looking for a comfortable tyre which will be used in the city only with an occasional highway run.

My local tyre guy says he has Bridgestone in the size of 165x65x14 and to get rid of the Maxiis as soon as possible as they are very poor quality tyres.

Would it be OK to fit the Bridgestones on the car. I have calculated that there would be an overall increase of 2.3%.

The Maruti dealer says it may cause warranty issues and I am still waiting for an answer on this point from the dealer.

Please also note that I will be fitting the tyres on new OEM alloy wheels of 4.5J size.

Your help in this matter would be much appreciated as the last time I upgraded my tyres on my old Wagon R with Neo alloys the tyres started touching the body.

Kind Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 13:17   #454
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,538
Thanked: 2,308 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Nikhil,

Need some advice urgently.

I have just purchased a new Wagon R Vxi which came shod with Maxxis tyres size : 155x65x14 on steel wheels.
As the tyres were produced in October 2012 and I bought the car in June 2013, I was not happy about the age of the tyres and the dealer has finally agreed to change the tyres for me at no cost.

He had agreed to Yokohama (my choice) but I now find that Yoko's are not available in that size. In fact, I have been told by the dealer that only Apollo and Good Year are available in that size. i.e. 155x65x14.
My question is : How good are these two tyre companies? Which is the better of the two? I am looking for a comfortable tyre which will be used in the city only with an occasional highway run.

My local tyre guy says he has Bridgestone in the size of 165x65x14 and to get rid of the Maxiis as soon as possible as they are very poor quality tyres.

Would it be OK to fit the Bridgestones on the car. I have calculated that there would be an overall increase of 2.3%.

The Maruti dealer says it may cause warranty issues and I am still waiting for an answer on this point from the dealer.

Please also note that I will be fitting the tyres on new OEM alloy wheels of 4.5J size.

Your help in this matter would be much appreciated as the last time I upgraded my tyres on my old Wagon R with Neo alloys the tyres started touching the body.

Kind Regards,
SS
Briddgestone which pattern?

Apollo which pattern?

165/65-14 is a little big and if Maruti is saying there could be issues, it would be safer to avoid it.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 17:01   #455
BHPian
 
suzuki san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Goa & Bombay
Posts: 438
Thanked: 245 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Hi Nikhil,

Thanks your prompt reply.
Maruti refusing to fit Bridgestone due bigger size.
So, the options are :
1. Apollo Amazer 3G
or

2. Good Year GT 3.

Which one would you suggest?

Kind Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 17:55   #456
BHPian
 
dass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 871
Thanked: 281 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
Turanza is a good tyre. But 185/70 R14 is 14mm increase in radius of tyre which is about 4.8%. i would ask around if it is safe.
I changed my Dzire VDI tyres from GY 165 to A drive 185. This was recommended by the sales person and also the Tyre dealer. I believe the ZDI comes with the 185/70 R14, which is what I moved too.

The question is, will this be a problem?
dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 21:49   #457
BHPian
 
Suraj25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 184
Thanked: 209 Times
Default

Couldn't find a more relavent thread, so here goes:
We have a 2008 Skoda Fabia TDI which has barely 35k kms on the odo and running on the stock metador tyres. I was driving it around today and observed that even on the slightest of hard breaking, the car would lose traction and abs would kick in. This happened when I tried to slow down from 40kmph. I wonder what would happen during some high speed emergency breaking! The roads were a little wet but there's no way it could make such a huge difference. I'm guessing the 5yr old tyres are the problem. Them becoming harder, hence the reduction in grip? And the tyres aren't bald. Do they have to be replaced?

Cheers,
Suraj
Suraj25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 23:53   #458
BHPian
 
nareshov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 268
Thanked: 162 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
...
I was driving it around today and observed that even on the slightest of hard breaking, the car would lose traction and abs would kick in. This happened when I tried to slow down from 40kmph. I wonder what would happen during some high speed emergency breaking! The roads were a little wet but there's no way it could make such a huge difference. I'm guessing the 5yr old tyres are the problem. Them becoming harder, hence the reduction in grip? And the tyres aren't bald. Do they have to be replaced?
...

Look for the DOT code (4-digit number) on the tyres, if it's less than 3207 replace them ASAP.
nareshov is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 08:06   #459
BHPian
 
Suraj25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 184
Thanked: 209 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post

Look for the DOT code (4-digit number) on the tyres, if it's less than 3207 replace them ASAP.
It says DOT J3C6. Does this mean its a 2006 manufactured tyre? :/
Suraj25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 10:57   #460
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,010
Thanked: 229 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
Couldn't find a more relavent thread, so here goes:
We have a 2008 Skoda Fabia TDI which has barely 35k kms on the odo and running on the stock metador tyres. I was driving it around today and observed that even on the slightest of hard breaking, the car would lose traction and abs would kick in. This happened when I tried to slow down from 40kmph. I wonder what would happen during some high speed emergency breaking! The roads were a little wet but there's no way it could make such a huge difference. I'm guessing the 5yr old tyres are the problem. Them becoming harder, hence the reduction in grip? And the tyres aren't bald. Do they have to be replaced?

Cheers,
Suraj
I strongly suggest you replace the tires. Same problem I faced in my civic, only after 4 years, but the tread was fine. Having had a bad experience earlier with another car when the hard tires ruined the suspension as well, I did not wait. After replacing the tires, I got better braking (no ABS all the time), better grip and ride and also 10-15% increase in FE.

In Indian conditions, it is my experience that tires, especially OEM generally do not last for more than 4 years even if run for fewer kms before becoming hard and losing grip.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 17:54   #461
BHPian
 
Suraj25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 184
Thanked: 209 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
I strongly suggest you replace the tires.
Thanks for the input! Yes, doing it ASAP. I will try squeezing in a set of aftermarket alloys too :P
Suraj25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 17:05   #462
BHPian
 
amazingGuru67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Rajapalayam,T.N
Posts: 98
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Hello friends,

I am about to purchase Honda Amaze which came with stock MRF tyres. I have managed to find the car year and month of the year by using the VIN number.

Is there any way to find the month and year of manufacturing of the tires in them?
amazingGuru67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 18:01   #463
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,063
Thanked: 5,296 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingGuru67 View Post

Is there any way to find the month and year of manufacturing of the tires in them?
There will be a 4 digit code printed on the tire sidewall.
It will be in the wwyy format.
The ww will be the week and the yy the year of manufacture.
so if this is 1013. It means the tire was made in the tenth week of 2013.

This will be the only 4 digit code on the tire.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 13:42   #464
BHPian
 
premc44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kozhikode
Posts: 72
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

I have a VW Vento diesel, which has Apollo Aceleres 185/60/R15 as original fitment tyres. During the last 20000 Kms, they have served me well without any problem, not even a puncture.
I have seen a lot of Vento owners going for an upsize and that too to premium brands like Michelin etc. Most of them have gone for 195/60/R15. While the overall increase in diameter is about an acceptable 1.99%, is 195/55/R15 a better choice , where the difference is shown in the chart as -1.24%. In the latter case, it is said that the speedometer/ odometer readings will be least different of the two options.
Tyre Gurus, what will be your advice.? Thanks in advance
premc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 22:09   #465
BHPian
 
nareshov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 268
Thanked: 162 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post
I have a VW Vento diesel, which has Apollo Aceleres 185/60/R15 as original fitment tyres. During the last 20000 Kms, they have served me well without any problem, not even a puncture.
I have seen a lot of Vento owners going for an upsize and that too to premium brands like Michelin etc. Most of them have gone for 195/60/R15. While the overall increase in diameter is about an acceptable 1.99%, is 195/55/R15 a better choice , where the difference is shown in the chart as -1.24%.
...
Tyre Gurus, what will be your advice.? Thanks in advance
Checkout this post from the dedicated thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
So that you better understand type size & profile, I'm including a comparo of the various options from 1010tyres.com calculator.

- Don't go by the "55" profile number alone. Compared to the stock 185/60 R15 tyre, the 205/55 R15 has a taller sidewall and will thus give you the same / better ride quality.

- It is also the closest in terms of overall diameter (0.55% difference) to the stock.

As Akshay & Goandude have posted, 205/55 R15 is the perfect upsize. It will give you the grip AND ride quality you desire.

Attachment 475356



It can, actually. The quality of tyre is more important than the width. Thus, a 195 patch tyre of better quality will make a HUGE difference over the OEM crap that most Indian car manufacturers use. Heck, even a high quality 185/60 R15 tyre will be WAY better than stock.
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
READ FIRST: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car Rehaan Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 6 7th February 2011 09:57
Choosing right dealer for Fiat Palio in Kochi.. roops4fun Indian Car Dealerships 4 10th January 2009 03:03
which is the right set of tyres kpbhatt Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 3 31st March 2008 15:43
Choosing the right dealership luvjascha Indian Car Dealerships 10 14th September 2006 18:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:27.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks