Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Old 7th October 2014, 13:49   #526
BHPian

Default Everything You Need to Know About Tire Safety In One Handy Graphic

Do we have something like this with indian coins?

http://lifehacker.com/everything-you...-ha-1641322652
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-djpjhsr3jtgsvfumhazd.jpg  

carbhp is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 13:18   #527
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Dear Friends,

Am looking for a change for my stock Wagon R CNG tyres soon.

They are running the stock Apollo Amazer 3G(145/80/R13).
There is still some 25% thread left and the tyres look good for another 5K kms.

Recently visited a tyre shop in Thane and checked out the stock and the upgrade 155/60/R13.

Now, the latter will result in lowering the car height to some extent.

The damages:
145/80/R13

I liked the Bridgestone Turanze but they seem to be pricey ar RS. 14.5K per set of 4.
The Apollo Amazer 3G will be approx. 12K for the set but honestly, I would like a change from the Amazers(even an Accelere is ok for me).

155/60R13

The Yokohama Earth 1 is a great choice and my favoured one at Rs. 12K for a set of 4. Michelin XM series will be close to 15.6K and is beyond budget.

-- My query:

1) Shall I stick to the stock sizes? I am getting a good mileage from the WR.
2) Have option of CEAT mileage in the 145/80R13? How are these tyres.
3) How is Dunlop tyres with same spec. They retail lower at Rs. 2.8K for the same stock specification?
4) If I upgrade, will I feel any difference in the driving dynamics(considering WR is not known for great driving feel).

Pls. advice.
Some decisions taken and some advice seeked:

1) Decisions taken-
- Will be sticking to the stock 145/80 R13 OEM size.
- Michelins are expensive and will not be going for these.
- Yokohamas do not have this sizes and moreover, most of the dealers I have visited have given pretty negative reviews. Hence, no Yokos and no upsizes again.

Advice Seeked:

1) I have checked the Goodyear Ducaro Hi Miler in stock size. The tyres are available at Rs. 2.4K each and liked the tread pattern. The rubber compound is on the harder side, obviously to prolong the mileage.
Loved the tread pattern though.

Query: How are these tyres? What is the road noise. Have got some good to very good reviews on these tyres. At Rs. 2.4K, they are in budget. WA/WB will be included.

2) JK NXT:
Not too comfortable with them. Rs. 2.2K each. Any indicaitons?

3) CEAT Milaze
Preference No. 2. Again, hard compound. Rs. 2.6K each. Road noise? Performance?

4) Bridgestone B290
How are these tyres in terms of road noise, performance. Available at Rs. 3.2K per tyre. Slightly over budget.

Pls. advice.

My inclination to go with Good Year Ducaros. Any review/advice would be welcome with regards to the Ducaros in particular and other options in general.
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 09:41   #528
BHPian

Quote:
My inclination to go with Good Year Ducaros. Any review/advice would be welcome with regards to the Ducaros in particular and other options in general.
Goodyear's Ducaro & Duraplus are their harder compound tyres. These will have good life, decent performance but will create more road noise and are not that good when it comes to ride quality as well.

The B290 Bridgestone is actually a tread pattern that's available up to 16" wheels which indicates that it is capable of satisfying mid to higher mid end customers such as those in Civics & Corollas. I would recommend this tyre over all the others because none of the other patterns are built for premium or semi-premium cars. I've also had good feedback from users about the B290's life provided regular alignment/balancing/rotation is done (as is the case with any tyre).
carmayogi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 10:19   #529
BHPian

Fellow Members,

Recently e-commerce has been making all the buzz, so I had some tyre related queries.

1. Would members buy tyres online? If so would you do so from an e-commerce site (Snapdeal, Flipkart, etc), OR from a dedicated tyre website?

2. What would be your reasons for choosing either way?

Abroad there are many ways to buy tyres online and have them delivered or fitted. I am wondering if we are on the cusp of such a revolution (pun intended) in the Indian market. I have always found that each tyre shop pushes a different brand/pattern usually based on what they have in stock most rather than what suits the customer.

Awaiting valuable inputs from members.
carmayogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 19:29   #530
BHPian

Yes to answer your questions

1) Yes I have bought 2 sets already from Snapdeal genuine stuff and at a good price.

2) Choosing online you have access to wider options and mainly all this at a very good price rather than paying higher prices for the same tyres with a local dealer.
sheldon4888 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 09:47   #531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some decisions taken and some advice seeked:

1) Decisions taken-
- Will be sticking to the stock 145/80 R13 OEM size.
- Michelins are expensive and will not be going for these.
- Yokohamas do not have this sizes and moreover, most of the dealers I have visited have given pretty negative reviews. Hence, no Yokos and no upsizes again.

Advice Seeked:

1) I have checked the Goodyear Ducaro Hi Miler in stock size. The tyres are available at Rs. 2.4K each and liked the tread pattern. The rubber compound is on the harder side, obviously to prolong the mileage.
Loved the tread pattern though.

Query: How are these tyres? What is the road noise. Have got some good to very good reviews on these tyres. At Rs. 2.4K, they are in budget. WA/WB will be included.

Decision Made:

Changed the stock Apollo Amazer 3G after 64,875 kms.
They have done a good job and were way past their prime.

Changed all 04 tyres with Goodyear Ducaro Hi Miler 145/80 R13.

The decision of not going with Bridgestone and Michelin were purely on the budget constraint.

The tyres were procured at Rs. 2,450/- each.
Some quick snaps:

ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-img_20141110_090606.jpg
Absolutely new batch here. 4114 indicated an October make.

ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-img_20141110_090514.jpg

Stock size. Means the well is still having a good ungainly gap

The tread pattern
ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-img_20141110_090522.jpg

Good Year has the below benefits:

1) Three Year Unconditional/ Unlimited warranty
2) Free services with Bharti Axa upon registration

20141109193442.pdf
Goodyear Evolution

20141109193651.pdf

Bharti Axa Tie Up and registration benefits

Along with the tyres was extended the below services at no additional cost:

1) Free Nitrogen in all 5 tyres(including stepney)
2) Wheel Alignment
3) Wheel Balancing. Charges for weights included
4) 01 year free nitrogen top up/ filling
5) 04 free nitrogen fill ups after completely emptying the tyre and refilling

A Small Writeup of Goodyear Ducaro(Taken from the website of Goodyear-www.goodyear.co.in)

Presentation1.pdf

Now, for the tyres:

1) Ducaro Hi Miler is part of the long lasting tyres set of Goodyear.
The rubber compound is on the harder side.
2)Tread pattern is conventional with better tread on the shoulder lines to help aid cornering.
3) It comes with symmetrical water channels to aid wet road grip
4) Though the compound is hard, the ride quality is not compromised.
5) Tyres are yet to set in. So, the road noise is high at the moment.
Though, considering the compound, I dont expect the Ducaros to be super silent ones.
6) High speed balance was good. Even at 80+ kmph, they were stable.

------
A parting note:
Apollo Amazer 3Gs are good OEMs and certainly better that the stock JKs Maruti has for few batches.

The tyres held well for 65,000 kms and it speaks volumes of their quality.
Have been decently happy with them and they have been a trouble free set during their tenure.

Hope to see the Ducaros stay true to their name of "High Mile(r)" and serve me well for many miles.

Last edited by arnabchak : 10th November 2014 at 09:51. Reason: Checking if PDF can be converted to jpeg
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2014, 10:57   #532

Hi everyone,
This is my very first post on the forum, have been glued to team-bhp for around 4 to 5 years now. My very first post starts with a question, I own a 3rd gen honda city and the ground clearance just sucks, I want to up-size the tires. At present the car runs on stock 15 inch steel rims what I wish is to go for 16 inch alloys and in the process increase the ground clearance. Request to all the gurus please help me out.

Thanks in advance
Anant
anant5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 19:23   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anant5000 View Post
Hi everyone,
This is my very first post on the forum, have been glued to team-bhp for around 4 to 5 years now. My very first post starts with a question, I own a 3rd gen honda city and the ground clearance just sucks, I want to up-size the tires. At present the car runs on stock 15 inch steel rims what I wish is to go for 16 inch alloys and in the process increase the ground clearance. Request to all the gurus please help me out.

Thanks in advance
Anant
hi anant..
Going for 16 inch alloys is a good option to increase the ground clearance but in the process, the profile of the tyre will reduce, and which will hamper your ride comfort. I think you should prioritize what you want first
If you go for Looks and performance - ride comfort is hampered which i feel is much needed on our roads
Better performance - means grippier tyres with hard rubber compound which leads to faster trade pattern wearing - as there is more friction between the tyre and road.

Also while upsizing, you need to look after the the difference between the outer tyre diameter and the wheel diameter

Current tyre profile - 175 / 65 R15
Available options -175/60R16, 185/55R16 , 205/50R16, 225/45R16

I hope this will solve your problem

Keep Revvin'
Regards..
allien936 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 22:05   #534
BHPian

Default Re: Everything You Need to Know About Tire Safety In One Handy Graphic

A bit

But is this even remotely safe?

RavSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014, 10:09   #535
BHPian

Default Re: Everything You Need to Know About Tire Safety In One Handy Graphic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
A bit

But is this even remotely safe?

Deepening of grooves is done to increase the grip, but it mainly depends upon the age of the tyre. On an average life of a tyre is around 5 years. But there are a lot of other factors responsible like the heat cycle (heating of tyre during use and cooling down when not in use), then effect of ozone gases etc. so i think deepening of grooves can be done considering the age of the tyre, if it is too old then definitely it will be dangerous i think.

Keep Revvin'
allien936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014, 11:01   #536

Quote:
Originally Posted by allien936 View Post
hi anant..
Going for 16 inch alloys is a good option to increase the ground clearance but in the process, the profile of the tyre will reduce, and which will hamper your ride comfort.
=================
I hope this will solve your problem

Keep Revvin'
Regards..
Hey There,

First of all I would like to thank you for answering my question. Out of the sizes suggested by you which one would be the most balanced in overall performance also have you tried out with these tyres yourself or you know of someone who has done something of this sort with the third gen Honda City. One more question wouldn't the bigger and broader tyres be scrapping the wheel arches and the fender lining.

Sorry for so many questions

Thanks for being patient.

Regards,
Anant
Old 13th November 2014, 11:36   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anant5000 View Post
Hey There,

First of all I would like to thank you for answering my question. Out of the sizes suggested by you which one would be the most balanced in overall performance also have you tried out with these tyres yourself or you know of someone who has done something of this sort with the third gen Honda City. One more question wouldn't the bigger and broader tyres be scrapping the wheel arches and the fender lining.

Sorry for so many questions

Thanks for being patient.

Regards,
Anant

The most popular Plus Sizing methods are:
Plus Zero - utilizes the same wheel diameter as the OE tyre but combines it with a tyre which has a larger section width and a smaller aspect ratio than the OE tyre.
Plus One - utilizes a one-inch larger diameter wheel in comination with the tyre which has a one-step lower aspect ratio than the OE tyre.
Plus Two - utilizes a two-inch larger diameter wheel in combination with the tyre which has a two-step lower aspect ratio than the OE tyre.

The sizes that I have given have a diameter in the range of -3% to +4% of the difference between the outer tyre diameter and the wheel diameter. This formula is used by the leading tyre manufacturers.

The options that i had given are from the plus one category, so any one will do and if you ask for my opinion then i think that 185/55 R16 should be the best option.

Upsizing was done by my fiends, but on the stock rims. So it will not be so much of a help here.

Keep Revvin'

Regards
Old 13th November 2014, 13:34   #538

Quote:
Originally Posted by allien936 View Post
The most popular Plus Sizing methods are:
Plus Zero - utilizes the same wheel diameter as the OE tyre but combines it with a tyre which has a larger section width and a smaller aspect ratio than the OE tyre.
Plus One - utilizes a one-inch larger diameter wheel in comination with the tyre which has a one-step lower aspect ratio than the OE tyre.
Plus Two - utilizes a two-inch larger diameter wheel in combination with the tyre which has a two-step lower aspect ratio than the OE tyre.

The sizes that I have given have a diameter in the range of -3% to +4% of the difference between the outer tyre diameter and the wheel diameter. This formula is used by the leading tyre manufacturers.

The options that i had given are from the plus one category, so any one will do and if you ask for my opinion then i think that 185/55 R16 should be the best option.

Upsizing was done by my fiends, but on the stock rims. So it will not be so much of a help here.

Keep Revvin'

Regards

I googled and found a tire height calculator you have to enter the specs and it shows you the height and the width of the tire in inches. some of the calculations are as follows.
Height (inches) Width (inches)
175 / 65 R15 23.96 6.89
175/60 R16 24.27 6.89
185/55 R16 24.01 7.28
205/50 R16 24.07 8.07
225/45 R16 23.97 8.86

195/65 R15 24.98 7.68 (This one was added by me)

As from the table above the last entry show maximum gain in tire height. Now the question is keeping the stock rim size of 15 inches and upgrading to these tires with these gains, can it be done safely without going overboard and destroying something.

A very big thank you to all of you for bearing with my inquisitiveness.

Regards,
Old 13th November 2014, 14:58   #539
BHPian

The provided range of upsizing should be within the limit of -3 to 4%..so you can choose any one that you feel is good for you. Then comes the question of trade pattern and company. So i would suggest that keeping the same rims you can decide your tyre size in the given range..a 205/50R16 can also be fitted if you want to upsize which is the widest, and only thing that will be hampered is the ride quality..
Old 25th November 2014, 19:49   #540
BHPian

Upgraded to new Yokohamas.
Original tyre size - 185/60/R14
Original make - Matador (company fitted, around 6 years old)
New size - 185/65/R14
New Make - Yokohama Earth 1

Positive bits
1. Better rolling resistance
2. Reduced rolling noise in the cabin
3. Definitely suitable for indian roads (as company claims)
4. Symmetrical pattern - hence no trouble during tyre rotation
5. Medium compound rubber - longer duration of trade ware
6. Phenomenal grip during high speed turns (dry grip)

Negative bits - Its just been 2 months for the tyre change, hence i havn't come across any till now. And also no idea about the wet grip yet.

Has any other BHPian tried them? Share your experiences
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-dsc_20311.jpg  

ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-dsc_20341.jpg  

allien936 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote