Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Old 6th October 2017, 15:18   #646
BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

My Jetta TSI came in with GY tyres as OE. The Jetta is a beautiful car in many respects but ride quality is not one of them. On certain surfaces like on concrete highways the ride is very bumpy. In fact it is inconceivable that a luxury sedan costing 20L + should ride so badly. I have tried reducing the air pressure in the tyres to around 28psi and the ride improves somewhat. But that is not the proper solution. I wish to know whether other Jetta owners are also facing a similar level of discomfort on GY OE tyres. Lots of people have posted that they have changed their OE fitted tyres on Jetta to Michelin /Pirelli but really I want to know if changing the tyres will solve the problem completely. The VW service franchise is hopeless and cannot offer any support in this matter.
Dead Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2017, 14:41   #647
BHPian

I have plans of going for either the Yokohama Geolander HT or AT set. Anyone having experienced the HT? Any feedback? I see that the AT tyres have been discussed in another thread but not able to find too much information on the HT.
I am not interested in any kind of off-roading stuff and primarily drive in cities and highways only and hate absolutely any tyre noise during highway cruising.
And of course, needless to mention there is always a chance of encountering broken tarmac, craters, bumps etc unintentionally on the beautiful roads of Bangalore and when visiting the numerous tourist places in India.

Tyre dealers said that the HT is for those who do not really need off-roading tyres and they will do just fine on bad roads. I stressed on the fact that I do not want any noise from the tyres when cruising on the highways and their response was that the Geolander AT set are not completely noiseless on highways as they are built for tougher road conditions/off road. And they obviously handle broken road/bumps/potholes better than HT!

A little confused now.
Nalin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2017, 15:50   #648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
A little confused now.
If your usage is on highways & broken roads, please opt for AT tyres.
For reducing tyre noise, don't just depend on tyre compound/tread pattern, please use other methods to reduce noise.
Please check these 2 posts by '::CMS::'

Post1 (My white bulldog: Renault Duster 85 RxL (O))

Post2 (My white bulldog: Renault Duster 85 RxL (O))
sukiwa is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote