Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports

Old 9th August 2012, 10:11   #1
BHPian

Default Buddh set to host World Super Bike & GT1 Championships

The Buddh International Circuit (BIC) made history last year by hosting India’s first ever Formula One race. What’s more, it accomplished this without any major glitches, considering the amount of delicate logistics involved and the enormity of the 3-day event.

It seems like it is payback time now for the Jaypee Group, whose capital on the track is estimated at US$ 400 million. Marquee international motor racing events like the FIA GT1 Championship and the FIM World Superbike Series (WSBK) are queuing up to enter India through the BIC. Indian fans can even expect MotoGP, the motorbike racing equivalent of F1, to have the Buddh in their calendar next season. All this is massive development for a nation where motorsports is still in its infancy.

The events

The WBSK website announced that its race will be held for four years (2013-16) at Buddh, with the first Indian round on 10th March, 2013. WSBK is an official racing series regulated by Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM). It features tuned versions of production motorbikes from manufacturers like Ducati, Kawasaki, Aprilia, BMW etc.

The BIC is also listed in the GT1 Championship’s official calendar, with its debut race scheduled between 30 November and 1 December, 2012. The GT1 is a racing series featuring Grand Tourer race cars like McLaren, Ferrari, and Lamborghini. It is regulated by the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA), which also regulates F1.

Meanwhile, according to media reports, FIM has included the Buddh International Circuit in the MotoGP calendar from the 2013 season.

What this means for Buddh?

Every F1 race hosted at the BIC costs the Jaypee Group about Rs. 250 crore. This includes licence fees to the F1 ownership, operational costs like track & event management and logistics.

Their only source of income is ticket sales as no TV or ad revenues percolate to the circuit ownership. Ticket sales aren't enough to cover costs.

So how is the revenue generated? By hosting other events for the rest of the year; the F1 race event in that sense becomes like a big PR activity for the circuit. MotoGP is the only other event that charges race circuits to host it. The BIC has already attracted GT1 World Championship and World Superbike Series. Other racing events like Formula 3, GT3 etc. also pay the circuit to use it. Although not as popular as the above marquee events, these racing series are heavily monetised through TV rights and track sponsorships, and they share these revenues with the circuits.

Other revenue sources include renting the Buddh circuit to car manufacturers to hold media & customer events for their road going cars. The circuit is also rented out to individual car owners.

As circuit owners hope to eventually recover their investment and turn profitable, the steadily growing Indian motorsports fanbase will be the real winner in this development.

Aerial shots of the Buddh International Circuit...
Name:  buddh.jpg
Views: 2338
Size:  37.9 KB
Name:  buddh1.jpg
Views: 1773
Size:  55.1 KB
Name:  buddh2.jpg
Views: 1882
Size:  45.4 KB
DukeNukem is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 12:51   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Buddh set to host World Super Bike & GT1 Championships

The one problem that I see with BIC is the amount of dust on the track. It sort of covers the shine of a new race track. But I expect that to improve as Jaypee group plans to heavily develop the area which should cover up the barren grounds next to the track.

Btw. Is there any estimation available as to how much Jaypee group makes by way of ticket sale? How far do they manage to cover their costs? Also, do they get a share of track side advertisements?

I was going thrrough a few GT1 race videos couple of days back. I did notice that thee series doesn't have too many spectators. I hope it gets proper coverage so as to make sure that the series keeps coming back to India.
scuderiamania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:57   #3
BHPian

GT1 Championship Indian round cancelled. I do not know baout the SBK world championship. This is a great loss for India and BIC.

The VW Polo R Cup was supposed to be a support race for the GT1 championship, we the drivers would have got a lot of exposure and learnt a lot, but...
jalsa777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 18:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
The one problem that I see with BIC is the amount of dust on the track. It sort of covers the shine of a new race track. But I expect that to improve as Jaypee group plans to heavily develop the area which should cover up the barren grounds next to the track.

Btw. Is there any estimation available as to how much Jaypee group makes by way of ticket sale? How far do they manage to cover their costs? Also, do they get a share of track side advertisements?

I was going thrrough a few GT1 race videos couple of days back. I did notice that thee series doesn't have too many spectators. I hope it gets proper coverage so as to make sure that the series keeps coming back to India.
last year they made Rs 150 cr
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 22:42   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
GT1 Championship Indian round cancelled. I do not know baout the SBK world championship. This is a great loss for India and BIC.

The VW Polo R Cup was supposed to be a support race for the GT1 championship, we the drivers would have got a lot of exposure and learnt a lot, but...
Has any particular reason been given for the cancellation of the event?
scuderiamania is offline   Reply With Quote