Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports

Old 5th November 2015, 22:44   #1

Default Motorsport Engineering: Which country should I pick?

Hey Guys,
Im thinking of applying for uk and usa universities for a degree in motorsports engineering. What i want to know is that which country is better and has better job security? I also need some advice on how to pursue motorsports as i am very passionate about the sport. Any advice would be helpful
DarkDragonChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2015, 23:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default re: Motorsport Engineering: Which country should I pick?

I would say Germany but i have no valid data points to back up that claim. To me its lot of engineering and there is no better place to master it than Germany.

And knowing that language definitely helps to find suitable positions.

The last place i would do anything in Motorsports engineering is in US but again thats a personal take.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2015, 01:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default Which country to pursue a career in motorsports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDragonChaos View Post
Hey Guys,

Im thinking of applying for uk and usa universities for a degree in motorsports engineering. What i want to know is that which country is better and has better job security? I also need some advice on how to pursue motorsports as i am very passionate about the sport. Any advice would be helpful

I think UK should be your best bet seeing how almost all the big Formula1 teams are based there. And I remember reading somewhere that they do have some big university encompassing it in their curriculum.
Also, I remember this topic being covered elsewhere on the forum. Try looking it up.
All the best for your career ahead! Godspeed.

Last edited by shyn : 6th November 2015 at 01:38.
shyn is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2015, 13:43   #4

Default re: Motorsport Engineering: Which country should I pick?

Thanks. But I also want to know the job opportunities for immigrants after completing your masters there.
DarkDragonChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2015, 12:17   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Motorsport Engineering: Which country should I pick?

UK - That's it.

UK is where you'll have the most course options, as well as the most practical opportunities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I would say Germany but i have no valid data points to back up that claim. To me its lot of engineering and there is no better place to master it than Germany.
Germany is better for a Masters in Engineering than a Bachelors. And they do have lots of programs in English now.

Quote:
Thanks. But I also want to know the job opportunities for immigrants after completing your masters there.
Honestly, the opportunities for motorsport engineering in ANY country will be very poor / challenging. Be prepared to work hard to get a placement and your salary will be peanuts when starting off too. It's a long, uphill climb. Not trying to discourage you, but only those with true passion & skill make a decent living in motorsport.

What I'd recommend to you instead is automobile engineering (again, UK has excellent programs). With automobile engineering too, you can enter the motorsports field. However, auto engineering will also give you a good shot at placements within car companies (more jobs + more money). Someone I know graduated from Coventry UK and landed a fairly good position with Toyota Belgium in just his 2nd year of working.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2015, 13:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any advice would be helpful
Though they are not directly related to your question, you might find some clues in these threads:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-industry.html (A career in Motorsports industry!!!)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ve-career.html (Ever contemplated an Automotive career?)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ce-thread.html (The Career Advice Thread)

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 16:35   #7

Hello Vikram, my son is studying motorsport engineering BSc at Stafford University. I live in Birmingham where Birmingham City University (BCU) also do the same course no doubt there are other universities offering the same. I would say that Birmingham City University (not to be confused with Birmingham University) have the slight edge.
My son couldn't get into BCU (left it too late) but if you are interested I can help point you in the right direction, I also did a diploma in automotive engineering from the same university (BCU).
I can say that Birmingham has a vibrant Indian community and is a great place to stay and study (lived here most of my life). As for the other countries I know there isn't much F1 work out there other that in the UK but I don't know much about their educational offerings look into it contact the various engineering faculties.
Regarding Jobs it is very hard to be able to break into the motorsport industry but with good skills and knowledge it should be possible, don't forget your skills are transferable. I know student job prospects in England aren't great but you can get limited work check for yourself as my knowledge on this subject is most likely out of date.
I hope all this helps, but the best person to decide how and where you want to pursue your ambitions and career is you. If I can help any further please let me know and I will assist the best I can.
shindha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 17:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,
UK yes for the courses BUT DEFINITELY UK NO for your career.

There is no post study work visa, you will complete your course and will have to leave, unless of course someone offered you a job for which they are going to sponsor you as well as pay you 35 thousand pounds salary right from the start (Highly unlikely)

How do I know this? I am a BE in Automotive Engineering from Coventry University with a Hons and 2:1 (Some companies ask for a 2:2 and very few a 2:1) and an MBA in Engineering Management also from Coventry University with a Distinction ( Most companies ask for a Merit to let you get in, a Distinction in a class of 100, say 5 will get)

So with the 2:1 and a Distinction, where did my life come to ? Back to India because of the lack of PSW. Why did I go to UK then you ask ? I got to know of them shutting the PSW in April 2012, I graduated in November 2012, in between my course, I could not leave.

Go anywhere but not UK, you will want to work after your course to get the much needed experience and with the lack of PSW, highly unlikely you will land a placement, on the other hand companies in India without you having a campus in India, won't entertain you much, actually wont entertain you at all, been there, done that, I work for a Netflix like company in India now, my dreams were just like yours.

Last edited by humyum : 6th April 2016 at 17:43.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote