Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports

Old 22nd May 2017, 19:37   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Video: BMW ///M Driver Training at the Buddh International Circuit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
That water bottle said a lot about the acceleration of that beast...
Exactly

Quote:
What would it cost to take your own car out for a track day at the BIC
The cost of Renting the entire BIC for a day is rumoured to be aprox INR 10L/Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Will hitting the gravel @ speed actually turn a low center of gravity car like the F30 turtle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Look at the 530d on the limit
Attachment 1641187

I believe this is the 5'er on the limit, ajmat is talking about ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post
Except me. I'm from India
Hello Sir, good to see you here

Last edited by karan561 : 22nd May 2017 at 19:42.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 19:40   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Look at the 530d on the limit here (Driven: BMW M3, M4 and M6 @ Buddh!)

Some idiot thought the 320d have the same grip level as an M3. They forgot that the tighter suspension, cabon fibre panels etc. change the whole equation
Run of the mill diesel BMW's though have good on-road behaviour, they look like boats when they corner at the limit on a track.

The tight suspension, improved mechanicals, huge grippy tyres and clever electronics keep the M BMW's flat on cornering.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 22nd May 2017 at 19:43.
petroguzzler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 07:43   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Thats a 320D on its roof!

Will hitting the gravel @ speed actually turn a low center of gravity car like the F30 turtle?
I haven't seen the video of the said incident and only speculating based on what I have seen in motor racing.

If the steering and thus the front tyre is against the direction of the slide when one hits a gravel trap, the outer front tyre will dig into the gravel faster and will tip the car over. That's the typical behaviour when one tries to get the car back into the track ASAP when it slides out onto a gravel trap.

One needs to steer into the direction of the skid when you lose the car on a surface that is soft (ex: snow). Go in the direction of the skid, steady the car, let the momentum of the skid help you cross the gravel trap (if possible), and take the escape road to get back into the track or pit. That ways, you wont have to walk back into the pit or hitch a ride on a scooter.
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 07:51   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post

Doesn't matter which car. When you enter a foot deep soft gravel sideways you will turtle. That driver completely acted on his own and didn't follow the instructors. Thankfully no one got hurt. And exactly why we make everyone wear helmets
Thanks, I stand corrected

Last edited by ajmat : 23rd May 2017 at 08:12.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 09:17   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
One needs to steer into the direction of the skid when you lose the car on a surface that is soft (ex: snow). Go in the direction of the skid, steady the car, let the momentum of the skid help you cross the gravel trap (if possible), and take the escape road to get back into the track or pit. That ways, you wont have to walk back into the pit or hitch a ride on a scooter.
This reminds of Doc Hudson's quote to Lightning McQueen from the 'Cars' movie -
"Turn right to go left".
jetsetgo08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 10:00   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
......What would it cost to take your own car out for a track day at the BIC?
BIC hold track days when anyone can take their car and drive in circuit. Typical cost per start is 7k.... Check their website for track day information
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 02:14   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Saw some pictures on Facebook with a car toppled over on inside of turn 10 during BMW invite drive? Any inputs on that?

This picture is what I was referring to
That happened during the bmw experience event for current and prospective customers. I was there on the final day and this is exactly what Wong (lead instructor) had warned against - push the throttle as much as you like on the straights but never carry excessive speeds into the corners. And in case one were to skid off the track, maintain a straight line and not try to turn as the inner tyres would dig into the soft gravel and the car would turn turtle - which is exactly what happened here.
Simple yet profound instructions. This and similar instructions on optimally using the breadth of the track while cornering. And yet there were folks who didn't care to follow them while on the track. I had a guy infront of me, doing all kinds of things on the tracks and getting severely reprimanded by the instructor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Few weeks back i had the opportunity to be a part of the BMW M Driver training at the Buddh International Circuit, Greater Noida.

This video is a shortened version of an entire day's training from BMW expert trainers who had specially flew in from Malaysia for this.

The training includes, Drifting lessons;

Attachment 1640432

Sudden Lane change manoeuvres & Braking;

Attachment 1640433

Track driving lessons;

Attachment 1640434

And more RAW footage of the above training;

Attachment 1640435

This event though was a paid event (INR 60k) but was through invitation only
Must have been something!!! I was there for the prospective customer event where I got to drive a 320d and were taken for a spin by Roland in a M3. Boy!!! Did she drift from side to side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Run of the mill diesel BMW's though have good on-road behaviour, they look like boats when they corner at the limit on a track.

The tight suspension, improved mechanicals, huge grippy tyres and clever electronics keep the M BMW's flat on cornering.
Especially the current ( outgoing) 5. It corners like a boat ( no offense to Owners here). I specifically asked for a 3 and could see the difference between the car I was driving and the 5s ahead (520i ) and behind me (520d). Was so impressed with the 3 that booked it immediately after the event and took delivery last week.

Last edited by Zappo : 24th May 2017 at 11:33. Reason: No back to back posts please. Respond to everyone with multiquote option. Use Edit in the first 30 minutes of posting to add further content. Go through the Announcement section before your next post.
FAIAAA is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote