Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports

Old 19th March 2010, 23:59   #1
BHPian

Default F-1 New Rules

The first time I heard of F-1 was on DD, when Ayrton Senna's death was reported in the news.. I thought he was an Indian. Anyway, Since 1994, I have been an ardent follower of F-1, and big fan of Michael Schumacher. He always drove a strategic race, and he won many a race in pit stop strategies - Ask Mika Hakkinen. Anyway, now with the refueling banned this year I don't see any pit stop strategy changing the course of a race. Drivers will have to keep an eye on fuel consumption, therefore, they will be reluctant to overtake.

I have never seen as many overtaking maneuvers in F-1 as much as in champ car, indy 500, or Nascar, but now we will almost know who will win the race after the first couple of laps, and we can be almost sure of the winner after the first pit stop. I was disappointed with the Bahrain GP last weekend, firstly for Vettel and secondly because it was a boring race. I don't get it, why would FIA want to change the rules in a season where you have 4 world champions, with almost 5 teams who I am sure will take both the championships to the last race. And why would FIA want to cite cost cutting as the reason for the rule changes. I do understand that smaller teams have better chances now, but at least please don't make the races this boring. I am sure Monaco will see formula 1 car parade rather than a race.
krivbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 13:52   #2

Hi Kriev Hope you saw the Shanghai race yesterday. plenty of excitement bro all thru the race
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 14:14   #3
BHPian

I did! It was a good race, I sincerely hope that the even dry races are as unpredictable as rain races. Do you think Schumacher can win any this season?
krivbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 15:20   #4

I am hoping he does in Singapore! Will be a pleasure to see him win. I will be there in Singapore to watch the race
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 16:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yes, MS will win many races in this season. He is new to the current car configuration. He may take atleast 2 more races to adapt.

Cheers!
myavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 16:52   #6
BHPian

I myself am a huge Schumi fan myself, and seeing him back in a F1 car, out of retirement, is a huge excitement. But at 41 and 4+ yrs of no racing, it's a very difficult task to expect him at the podium again! Which also means, the present podium finishers are a push-over which is not.
So, just watching Schumi cruise again is a great thing, should not expect too much atleast till the first half of the season!
nnandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 19:46   #7
BHPian

I think banning refuelling is a good move. We had better racing in the pre refuelling era ( before 1994 ) as the drivers had to do the overtaking on the track instead of in the pitlane. However, just banning refuelling will not improve overtaking suddenly. Next year, they are banning the Double diffusers which should reduce the dirty air behind the cars and allow cars to be closer when trying to overtake. The biggest problem for overtaking in F1 currently is that the following car cannot get too close to the car in front which would decrease the aero efficiency. I think the FIA should take steps to reduce the aero alongwith the ban on the double diffusers.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote