Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports

Old 23rd April 2011, 23:20   #301
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Want to be a Track Marshall at the Indian F1 GP? EDIT: Now closed.

Dear All

Have been watching with interest, the various opinions being posted here.

As an experienced F1 Marshall I would like to make some points

If you want to be part of the onsite glamour associated with an F1 event the volunteering for a Marshall's job is a wrong decision.

Depending on where you posts are likely to be chances are good that you won't even get to see the pits in person. There would be a very strict access controls in place and for most of the Marshalls the Pit areas would be strictly out of bounds.

Again depebding on the proximity of you position in relation to the Pits/Grandstand, you may get lucky to join in at the VIP Pitlane Walks.

Even in places like Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi or in Singapore what you normally get as a kit is as follows:

Overall (fire retardent material)
Gloves
Cap
Earplugs
3 Crew T shirts (for 3 days)
Few rehydrating salt sachets to add to your drinking water
All of the above put in to a back pack or a tote bag.

During the race period - the Post Chiefs handle the radio on the control cahnnel and another Marshall in post would handle the 2nd Radio on Admin channel. The Control Channel radio is with N/R Headphones.

Accommodation is provided for the out of station Marshalls with breakfast.

A food allowance is provided to take care of the Dinner expenses for all Marshalls

Depending on the race timing Snacks and a main Meal - packed - is provided at the Marshall posts during the period Marshalls are on duty.

There would be cool boxes with ice and drinking water at most of the Marshall posts.

Marshall welfare team usually replenish the supplies at the post from time to time

The Intervention Marshall Posts are usually linked to the Marshall post of the sector.

All Intervention related equipment - Fire Extings, Various Powders, Brooms etc are all provided at the Marshall posts and Intervention Marshalls collect them from the MP amd take it to theire respective positions.

The Marshalls are usually taken by bus to their respictive Marshall Posts from the sign on place, after the dailly briefing by the Event Chiefs.

The signing on will be usually about 3 hours before the designated earliest start time of the day and usuall you sign off about 45 minutes after the final event of the day.

At least in both of the two circuits I have mentioned above, the Overalls are to be returned after the Sundays Final race.

So all in all its hard work and downtime is rather very very less. In Delhi, there may be some free time as there may be only one supporting race to F1.

This generally is the outline/profile of a Volunteer Marshall's work in an F1 event or for that matter in any Auto Circuit race event

Why do we do it ?

Answer for me is simple. I think I am a petrolhead there fore the very sight and sound of an F1 car or a race car wizzing by you at 300 KMPH is reward enough

For Delhi the added attraction - the chance of being part of History Being made - the first ever Indian F1.

So if you think you really don't like what you are hearing, then please do not volunteer but step aside and give someone else a chance

Hope I am making some sense here.

Thanks and Best regards

Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 09:59   #302
Senior - BHPian

Attended the session yesterday and it was good, IMMC was aware of the sentiment of the volunteers and thus they admittedly made sure to highlight the welfare of marshals.

Looking forward to the training sessions.

My preference is to man the digiflag. Hopefully it will be all green once the track is hot
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 17:40   #303
BHPian

I wasnt able to make it to the induction, as I was out of town. Any chances I will be able to do the second rounds in may?
pradster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 19:15   #304
Senior - BHPian

^I am not too sure if they have another presentation in May, if yes then go ahead and be there. All attendees filled in a form and then it was even rated after a brief a question by the panelist. Mr. Vohra said that sms will be sent to all those who are filtered contrary to his earlier remark that everyone can attend the training sessions once they receive the sms from IMMC. All the best.
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 00:13   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
Not everyone will get muffs and safety gear etc. it will be based on your duty and if you really need the gear. I think you can forget about touching the cars or meeting the drivers etc. You are not even getting close to either. Did I mention that cameras, binoculars etc are not allowed and you cannot even use your mobile unless it is an extreme emergency. It was mentioned that this is hard work and not a free pass to see the race up close. So if you want to enjoy the race with a drink in hand, buy a ticket.
It is not a free pass but are you sure about the other stuff? In singapore, I have seen marshalls taking photos during the driver parade (using P&S cameras). And AFAIK, there was a separate meet and greet session with the drivers. It is hard work during the race though but just the sound of V8s whizzing by makes it well worth the effort.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 12:42   #306
BHPian

I also plan to attend the morning session in Bangalore. How to get to bowring institue? i stay at Domlur and i think 335E goes to lifestyle, so should i get down there?
shwetanshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 16:27   #307
BHPian

Default Track Marshall at the Indian F1 GP Induction Mumbai Venue?

Hi Friends,
Does anyone know the venue of the F1 Marshall Induction program in Mumbai?

The www.immc.in website is also not working. I have received SMSes but the Mumbai venue is TBD and it is in Mumbai on 30th April, 2011.

I dont want to miss this opporutnity.
wartikars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 17:15   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwetanshu View Post
I also plan to attend the morning session in Bangalore. How to get to bowring institue? i stay at Domlur and i think 335E goes to lifestyle, so should i get down there?
Bowring institute is on St. Marks road. You can take any bus to MG Road and its walking distance from there.

I do not possess the phone number with which I registered earlier, and I receive all alerts via email. Will this be a problem? Is there a way I can update the details? I checked that the website is being revamped right now. Guys, who have already been to it from other places, can you please tell me how do I book a slot at the induction? Or is it that you just go there and if there is a free seat, you take it?

Last edited by ahwajid : 26th April 2011 at 17:33.
ahwajid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 00:11   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Attended the session yesterday and it was good, IMMC was aware of the sentiment of the volunteers and thus they admittedly made sure to highlight the welfare of marshals.

Looking forward to the training sessions.

My preference is to man the digiflag. Hopefully it will be all green once the track is hot
For F1 race in most of the tracks F1 Admin installs their own Digiflag system onsite along with F1 TVCams and Audio mics etc and is controlled from Race control remotely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
It is not a free pass but are you sure about the other stuff? In singapore, I have seen marshalls taking photos during the driver parade (using P&S cameras). And AFAIK, there was a separate meet and greet session with the drivers. It is hard work during the race though but just the sound of V8s whizzing by makes it well worth the effort.
Though Marshalls are advised not to carry and use cameras, during down time like a drivers parade or Pit lane walk etc. You would get opportunity to get a few snaps of the Drivers and the Machines/Cars etc

The new Marshalls usually do duty as flag marshall with the Marshall Post chief (experienced one) who will relay the Radio instruction and instruct you as to what falg to be out etc.

The new intervention Marshalls again work with an experienced post head and handle Fire Ex devices etc.

Another point - usually the Marshall kit will have only ear plugs. Whilst they can do the job, unless you are in the cofines of any narrow space or tunnel etc, they can be uncomfortable. So you guys might want to buy your own Muffs.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 27th April 2011 at 00:13.
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 01:09   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwetanshu View Post
Hi,

Did you receive an SMS mentioning the venue of Bangalore program? I got none. Any one else?

MaSh
mashmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 10:45   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Hi,

Did you receive an SMS mentioning the venue of Bangalore program? I got none. Any one else?

MaSh
I did too MaSh, SMS & mail. Might drive to B'lore on sunday. Not sure though.
Sabby-069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 10:48   #312
BHPian

^ Check your e-mail inbox. They have sent an e-mail mentioning the venue and other details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwajid View Post
Or is it that you just go there and if there is a free seat, you take it?
Not sure how to contact them but in one of the SMS they said that fresh registrations are opened and anybody can walk in and register there itself. Maybe you can ask someone there to update your cell number.
vaibzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 11:10   #313
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Track Marshall at the Indian F1 GP Induction Mumbai Venue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartikars View Post
Hi Friends,
Does anyone know the venue of the F1 Marshall Induction program in Mumbai?

The www.immc.in website is also not working. I have received SMSes but the Mumbai venue is TBD and it is in Mumbai on 30th April, 2011.

I dont want to miss this opporutnity.
Hi There,

I have PMed you the Venue & Timming details for the Mumbai Induction

All The Best & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 11:34   #314
BHPian

Hi

Got a sms from IMMC this morning.

30th April @ 11am & repeat @3pm at Mayfair Banguets 254-C, Dr Annie Besant Road, Worli, Mumbai-30.
Duration- 2 hrs
Choose any one slot Unregistered volunteers welcome. Please bring pen.
If attended, no repeat needed, to attend pls sms; IMMC T1 BOM Y.

I am going for 11 am session, let me know who all are coming.

Hope to see some BHpians there.

Cheers.
The Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 11:41   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Hi

Got a sms from IMMC this morning.

30th April @ 11am & repeat @3pm at Mayfair Banguets 254-C, Dr Annie Besant Road, Worli, Mumbai-30.
Duration- 2 hrs
Choose any one slot Unregistered volunteers welcome. Please bring pen.
If attended, no repeat needed, to attend pls sms; IMMC T1 BOM Y.

I am going for 11 am session, let me know who all are coming.

Hope to see some BHpians there.

Cheers.
Saint bhai, remember me?
I will be there for the 11:00 AM session. See you there.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote