Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports

Old 8th July 2011, 17:21   #361
BHPian

Default Re: Want to be a Track Marshall at the Indian F1 GP? EDIT: Now closed.

Hi BHP-ians,
We just had the Calcutta Induction Program conducted this morning (8/7/2011)! (Since it took the better part of my working day, I decided to skip work completely and give my fellow BHP-ians an awaited heads up from Kolkata!)

As all of you, I'm excited beyond expression! I think it's going to be a great event! Particularly the kind of emphasis that is given on "the aspect of Safety" just shows that India is gearing up to International Standards.

It was discussed that the kind of equipment that is being brought in by JPIC, will ensure that it is the most advanced Grand Prix track in terms of technology facilities and safety! I think this really means something!

The primary points that were discussed were:
1) SAFETY
2) MARSHALING
3) HIERARCHY OF MANAGEMENT
4) SAFETY
5) DO'S AND DON'T
6) ETIQUETTE (WHILE APPROACHING DRIVERS)
7) SAFETY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Has any one heard from IMMC after the sessions? There have been no mails or messages from them. If I remember correctly, there was a session to be conducted sometime in June, right?
In regard to this matter, it announced that, the Authorities in UK have suggested that the sessions shouldn't be conducted this early cause, apparently trainees will FORGET what has been taught to them! So the'll be conducting them probably in September! So fellow Marshals, REMEMBER, SEPTEMBER!
sgchaudhuri is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 10:17   #362
Senior - BHPian

Fellas, any idea on what is happening on the Marshall front?

I'll need to talk to my manager about leave and book flight tickets soon! :P The same week being Diwali is going to make flights very expensive!

There are just over 2 months left for the training now.
libranof1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 11:49   #363

Smile Re: Want to be a Track Marshall at the Indian F1 GP? EDIT: Now closed.

The time is not right yet. September first week would be perfect. That means we may get to hear in the second fortnight of August. I'm sure they will give us enough time to put our schedules together. Looks like training is going to rich and its going to be fun!
nimblethrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 12:41   #364
BHPian

All,

Seems no one from Mumbai has been contacted by IMMC via email or sms post our induction few months back, see a article below on track marshal that appreared in Indian express today.

F1 fever grips region;enthusiasts flock to city for marshal selections - Indian Express

The excitement has already begun in the region for India’s first Formula One Grand Prix. Motor-sport enthusiasts from the city and adjoining areas flocked to Chandigarh for the first ‘induction session’ for marshals for the blockbuster event. The induction session was held by Jaypee Sports International (JPSI), the company organising the race from October 28 to 30.

Those from the region who signed the forms to be chosen as Marshals for the high-profile event included motor-sport stalwarts like Vijay Parmar, Sunny Sidhu among others. Shimla-based Parmar is the president of Himalayan Motorsport, the club that organises the Raid De Himalaya every year, while Chandigarh-based Sidhu is ranked among the top rally drivers in the country.

Farhan Vohra, General Manager (Sports Operations) of JPSI, spoke to the motor-sport lovers about the basic requirements of a marshal, the safety measures, the mishaps that can take place on the track. While the total number of marshals required for the Grand Prix event in India is 710, about 270 of these coveted posts will be taken up by experts from abroad.

Cheers

Last edited by The Saint : 10th August 2011 at 12:42.
The Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 00:33   #365
BHPian

They had a sesssion in chandigarh !
I had gone all the way to delhi in April just for attending the session. Now they conduct one here and dont even inform people from chandigarh who were registered earlier. :(
guptavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 09:47   #366
Senior - BHPian

Tickets on sale, any news on the selected volunteer list?
F1 fanatics like us await while pg3 janta gobbles up the tickets. Not fair. Please be quick to respond.
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:23   #367
BHPian

Thumbs down Re: Want to be a Track Marshall at the Indian F1 GP? EDIT: Now closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Tickets on sale, any news on the selected volunteer list?
F1 fanatics like us await while pg3 janta gobbles up the tickets. Not fair. Please be quick to respond.
Totally agree with you Sn1per. The team has been very inefficient as far as managing the track marshall program goes.

An even bigger problem is that Metallica is performing at Bangalore on the very same day as the race. I waited till July to hear from IMMC, but since there was no response or even updates like they did in the beginning of the year, I've booked my tickets for Bangalore. Although, I'm still being optimistic and haven't yet booked the concert tickets.

In case we hear from IMMC in the last week of this month or the first week of September, I'll be cancelling the tickets to Bangalore. However, there's still a problem - that of tickets to fly or rail to Delhi! October end being Diwali season, the railway waiting list's been already overflowing since a month now. And buying 16k worth of flying tickets for a volunteering job doesn't seem so attractive to me!

I now foresee quite a few of us stepping down after this!
MARCUS_520i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:48   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i

Totally agree with you Sn1per. The team has been very inefficient as far as managing the track marshall program goes.
An even bigger problem is that Metallica is performing at Bangalore on the very same day as the race.
I now foresee quite a few of us stepping down after this!
Volunteers are getting anxious, not a good sign to come.
They said it will be two stage training and now that two months are left, I don't think two stage compact training will be beneficial; or have they got enough paid volunteers from MiddleEast to sort things out?

Metallica is playing at the inauguration I think, thus grand stand is going for 35,000/- a pop. Metallica must be having two systems setup to play for Bangalore in the evening or vice versa.

Tickets to Delhi are already expensive. I hope our Mods have direct contact with Ejji or Farhan to get the latest news. Else tomorrow I pick my tickets.
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:51   #369
Senior - BHPian

No communication from IMMC on any schedule or plan for a event thats only 2 months away. I am not going to go for the marshalling this year! Pathetic!

I am planning to go for the Metallica live at Bangalore!
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:55   #370
BHPian

Yes, the Delhi Metallica concert is the F1-Rocks inauguration one happening on the 28th of October.
They're playing in Bangalore on the 30th.

@anachronix : Then in Bangalore we shall meet my friend!

Last edited by MARCUS_520i : 22nd August 2011 at 13:56.
MARCUS_520i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 07:28   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

The track inspection and homolgation should be complete on 1st/2nd September. Would be visiting the track tomorrow and hopefully be able to post a few pictures. It was raining heavily during last visit.
Now 2nd level marshal training scheduled for weekend of 9th & 10th Sept. The messages would be sent out by this weekend.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 23:52   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev
The track inspection and homolgation should be complete on 1st/2nd September. Would be visiting the track tomorrow and hopefully be able to post a few pictures. It was raining heavily during last visit.
Now 2nd level marshal training scheduled for weekend of 9th & 10th Sept. The messages would be sent out by this weekend.
So the first level has been completed, or am I getting it wrong?
Old 24th August 2011, 00:30   #373
Senior - BHPian

Any news on tickets ? Or does it depend on jack as with most good things in life ? I feel fairly blacked out about the Indian GP in Mumbai
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 08:32   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

First level or induction training session were held mostly in April~May (Chandigarh in August). Now the second level training will be done where each marshal will be trained in their assigned role. Say a fire marshal about handling fires, types of fire etc. etc.

This will not be a single group session like induction training.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 08:32   #375
Senior - BHPian

Tickets readily available on Jaypee and Bookmyshow websites.