Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 27th April 2011, 22:54   #1
BHPian

Default Pulsar 220 vintage handlebar mod?

hey friends,
i have a pulsar 220 dtsi 2010 model, the one with clipon handlebars, now i have a slight issue with my left elbow which in addition to lean over posture(racing style seating) of pulsar makes things really difficult for me, the only thing which i can think of is to modify the handlebars and instead of clipon handlebars i think i will replace it with oldschool pulsar handlebars, the regular steep pipe ones which used to come in older versions of pulsar, now my query is that is this mod possible and if yes then please could you elaborate how, its a new bike so i just dont want messed up things, would it be possible for me to buy the old pulsar parts and replace it with this one so that i might be able to attach a oldschool handlebar, any advice inputs would be highly appreciated
makanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 23:23   #2
BHPian

Default Re: pulsar 220 vintage handlebar mod ?

The old pulsar handlebars are not direct fit for the 220, you will have to custom fabricate a few parts to do this mod. Though matin old handlebars to the 220 might result in handlebar touching the fairing and IMO you would need new switchgear and bar end weights too, is it absolutely necessary ? Cause it will spoil the looks, you have other options like changing the footpeg clamp or raising the seat by adding extra cushion.
cruiser@0523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 06:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

yes it is certainly possible. i will get you a contact in Dehra Doon and you can talk to the guy. Thanks
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 11:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
The old pulsar handlebars are not direct fit for the 220, you will have to custom fabricate a few parts to do this mod. Though matin old handlebars to the 220 might result in handlebar touching the fairing and IMO you would need new switchgear and bar end weights too, is it absolutely necessary ? Cause it will spoil the looks, you have other options like changing the footpeg clamp or raising the seat by adding extra cushion.
FYI, switchgear and bar end weights are the same across the variants.
DRIV3R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 16:34   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by makanaka View Post
hey friends,
i have a pulsar 220 dtsi 2010 model, the one with clipon handlebars, now i have a slight issue with my left elbow which in addition to lean over posture(racing style seating) of pulsar makes things really difficult for me, the only thing which i can think of is to modify the handlebars and instead of clipon handlebars i think i will replace it with oldschool pulsar handlebars, the regular steep pipe ones which used to come in older versions of pulsar, now my query is that is this mod possible and if yes then please could you elaborate how, its a new bike so i just dont want messed up things, would it be possible for me to buy the old pulsar parts and replace it with this one so that i might be able to attach a oldschool handlebar, any advice inputs would be highly appreciated
can it be possible to replace the 220 steering crown with the one from the 180 and fix the normal handle bar ?
georgev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 16:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
yes it is certainly possible. i will get you a contact in Dehra Doon and you can talk to the guy. Thanks
DESIDEEP il wait for the contact details, i visited the showroom today and the manager in charge of workshop told me that it might only be possible if im willing to spend about 20 thousand inr as the whole front fork etc will be changed and it would be better if i sold the bike instead!!!!
anyway im ready to part with the front fairing and all that jazz if i can get a good comfortable seating position and i am not sure if adding of cushion on seat will help as i guess it will increase the angle of leaning on rather than decreasing it, am i correct guys?
Old 29th April 2011, 04:29   #7
BHPian

makanaka :

a. tell the dealer he's an idiot (am not even going to explain all the things that are wrong with his suggestions)

b. please try to get a hold of Fury handlebars. They can be retro fitted by any decent mech. That way you will retain the sporty nature of the ride without straining the elbow too much considering its got a good touring posture.

If you need help procuring them, let me know, I'll send them over.

Last edited by GTO : 29th April 2011 at 11:57. Reason: Do NOT USE inappropriate language on Team-BHP. Please read our rules
DevilsOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 07:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsOwn View Post
b. please try to get a hold of Fury handlebars. They can be retro fitted by any decent mech. That way you will retain the sporty nature of the ride without straining the elbow too much considering its got a good touring posture.
The width of Fury handles are not as wide as the OEM Handle,.

See if the triple clamp of the older bike can be retrofitted, or the current clamp can be drilled to accommodate the handle bar clamps.

MP
motorpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 21:30   #9
BHPian

Default Re: Pulsar 220 vintage handlebar mod?

hey friends,
devilsown, "fury"? which bike are u referring to dude, do u mean the enfield fury? motorpsycho i think u have a sound practical idea there, to try and drill holes and weld the handlebar clamps, my mechanic told me that the old pulsar 180 handle cannot be fitted on this one because reason no 1 than front shockers are more in circumference than the older ones hence the crown would not be a direct fit , for using the older crown i will have to use the older shockers and other related accessories, anyway motorpsycho i guess u meant for me to remove the two clipon handlebars sockets from the crown then try to somehow improvize the older handlebar clamps on that very crown right, i dont know why but i feel than can be done, let me consult my mechanic again , will get back to u soon , thank u all friends lets see if this works
Old 30th April 2011, 09:16   #10
BHPian

Quote:
"fury"? which bike are u referring to dude, do u mean the enfield fury? motorpsycho i think u have a sound practical idea there, to try and drill holes and weld the handlebar clamps, my mechanic told me that the old pulsar 180 handle cannot be fitted on this one because reason no 1 than front shockers are more in circumference than the older ones hence the crown would not be a direct fit , for using the older crown i will have to use the older shockers and other related accessories, anyway motorpsycho i guess u meant for me to remove the two clipon handlebars sockets from the crown then try to somehow improvize the older handlebar clamps on that very crown right, i dont know why but i feel than can be done, let me consult my mechanic again , will get back to u soon , thank u all friends lets see if this works
Fury Handle bars were a rage when I was in College, its basically a short handle which resembles the Enfield flat handle bar( No relation to enfield fury whatsoever) I have attached 2 pics of Fury handle bar Mounted motorbike. Your Mechanic is right, The old 200/180 had a much smaller dia forks.

Name:  27547486_1.jpg
Views: 8710
Size:  40.4 KB

Name:  yamaharx100_1.jpg
Views: 8346
Size:  83.7 KB

The clipons on the 180 below is mounted on the triple clamp

Pulsar 220 vintage handlebar mod?-bajaj_pulsar_150_2010.jpg

See if you can remove the Alan bolts in the red circle

Pulsar 220 vintage handlebar mod?-carbon-bars-wrisers-1.jpg
you'll need this assembly with the bar clamps. If the holes can accommodate the bar clamp you may not need to drill the holes.

Also go through the link HERE , it details how it's done on Sport bikes

If you have to drill the triple clamp , ensure the structural integrity of the triple clamp is not compromised and the drilled holes width will sync with the handle bar.
motorpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 10:01   #11
BHPian

Quote:
hey friends,
devilsown, "fury"? which bike are u referring to dude, do u mean the enfield fury? motorpsycho i think u have a sound practical idea there, to try and drill holes and weld the handlebar clamps, my mechanic told me that the old pulsar 180 handle cannot be fitted on this one because reason no 1 than front shockers are more in circumference than the older ones hence the crown would not be a direct fit , for using the older crown i will have to use the older shockers and other related accessories, anyway motorpsycho i guess u meant for me to remove the two clipon handlebars sockets from the crown then try to somehow improvize the older handlebar clamps on that very crown right, i dont know why but i feel than can be done, let me consult my mechanic again , will get back to u soon , thank u all friends lets see if this works
Do / Try out the following
1) Take the "Tee" / headstock (on which the handlebar mounts) of the Pulsar 200.
2) As Pulsar 200's fork pipe diameter is marginally different from that of Pulsar 220's, you may have to machine out the the fork pipe mountings. It is not a very difficult task
3) Once you have the Pulsar 200's "Tee" / headstock (on which the handlebar mounts)in place, you have to just mount a suitable handlebar
4) I have changed my Pulsar 200's handlebar with a Bajaj Avenger's handlebar which I found perfect and vibration free.
5) For your reference, I have attached some photographs of the part that you need to change of your 220
Attached Images

AmarPaithankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 10:13   #12
BHPian

Post Re: Pulsar 220 vintage handlebar mod?

Assuming the 220 has a similar set up of 180 pictured above,
Get a triple clamp of pipe handle pulsar, those with cast bar mount. Machine its bottom flat, drill holes to match those 4 bolts, trim off edge beyond bolts. Fit this atop 220's triple clamp. OR Get pressed steel triple clamp from any bike, its easy to rework. Fit with spacers on bolts to clear yoke nut. Fit the new bar on.

Edit: missed preceding post. It is better- clean looks, no much m/c'ing work.

Last edited by Rennjit : 30th April 2011 at 10:22.
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 16:40   #13
BHPian

friends,
first of all i would like to thank u all for helping me in sorting out my handle woes, i have started work on the handlebar project, its taking a lot of time because of availability of time, but i will be changing a lot of things, if i am able to do the handlebar job i have decided to go in for a full front end mod job, il be posting the pics once im done, till then pray for me friends as this one is a DIY!!!!