Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 10th May 2011, 13:57   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Which bike for super back comfort?

^^Yes thanks I meant Avenger, edited now Eliminator was the name when Kawasaki was involved in the name hence it was "Kawasaki Bajaj Eliminator 175cc, now i guess its 200/220cc Bajaj Avenger.
Cheers!!
schitre05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 14:05   #17
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Please have a test drive of Bajaj avenger before you take a final call. I have ridden it for 6 long years and graduated to a Royal Enfield Thunderbird a week back. I still admire the way avenger handles, typically because the bike was originally designed by Kawasaki and later Bajaj started using this model with its own engine. The mileage would be around 35kmpl and stability is very very high.
joel.chandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 14:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

As always there needs to be one member bringing in the confusion. I say go for a 350CC Bull. The low RPM high torque engine is suited for a better ride compared to high rpm/high torque engine. Riding a bull @ 60KMPH with proper handle bars that make you bend your arms at 90* will make the 42 km ride fun and relaxing. They come with good gas shocks and the engine weight and wheel base set up makes me feel far more comfortable. The mileage may be a factor, but you can trade mileage for the snub factor may be.

The new age bikes come with self start, gears on the left and brakes on the right.

Test drive an avenger though. I tried and felt like driving anyother bike with four people sitting behind me. Balance of the bike feels very very awkward for me.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 18:25   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alok_balsekar View Post
will be 'a' year ago.

an only comes before a vowel 'sound'

So it's:

'a' european holiday, not 'an' european holiday.

coz europe starts with the syllable 'y' not 'e'.

my 2 cents ...

english class over

heheh.
Haha! Thank you sir!

But my only confusion was the usage of "a" or "an", preceding the word "year".

It is only the one which is so controversial in its usage. "A European holiday" is correct, I know that. I've always used "a" in front of "European" because it SOUNDS right.

That's why I prefer to use "an year". Because it sounds right.

Back to the subject:

I test drove the Apache RTR 160 today, along with Suzuki GS150R and Suzuki Sling Shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Hunk shares its engine with the CBZ and the Unicorn, right? How is the CBZ, coz Hunk looks a little over the top in styling department for me.
Also, the Apache is about 10 kgs lighter and only about 10 kgs heavier than my current Victor. Does someone recommend this one?
The only thing going against Unicorn is it's height and weight, both are in excess for me, else it seems to win in every other department.
I can't comment on CBZ, never driven one.

I've also decided to buy a bike, for the purpose of to and fro commute from college.
It is going to be the Apache RTR 160

A few pointers:

1. I found it very easy to drive.
2. Good drivetrain. The gear slots right into place with a small push, as opposed to the belief(or experience) of it taking two or three nicks to slot into place.
3. Good ride quality, VOID of vibrations.

So hellmet, I suggest you look into the RTR 160 too.
Skye1592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 08:13   #20
BHPian

@Hellmet: Why dont you take a TD of the Suzuki GS 150R and settle it between the Unicorn, GS and the Hunk. Hunk i dont think offers a better avaerage of 45-48 in city riding conditions. Unicorn would give you 50-52 approx.

Have taken a TD of the Honda Dazzler. It was was a poor show, no juice in the bike (which i prefer,since have a been driving Bajaj bikes). Also too costly compared to the features provided.

Apache nice bike if you want to win traffic light drag races, but comfort wise, its not recommended.

Unicorn too old.

But on this forum and on another popular similar sounding motorcycle forum, people are going ga ga over the GS 150. I am also in the market for similar requirements and my choices are in no particular order:

- Suzuki GS 150
- Pulsar 150/180

I dont have a liking for the HH bikes, hence Hunk is out. But wont mind checking it out. But Suzuki delivers fuel economy of 55, this is what i have checked with the actual owners on traffic signals. also it offers amazing mix of refinement and performance.

You can check it out and also let me know. So we can share notes.

Avenger would be a bit over your budget , i feel , so would be the Karizma. I don't know why people are recommending the same to you.

Have owned a Bullet earlier, so that wouldn't be a right choice for you considering your requirements.

Last edited by thumpmeister : 11th May 2011 at 08:16. Reason: spelling
thumpmeister is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 09:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Considering your requirements, I would suggest you test ride Unicorn, GS 150 and Avenger - I have been using Unicorn for few years now, and have done some long and the bike is super comfortable. I modified the seat slightly by adding one more seat on top of the standard seat, and it aided me very well – I am not sure it is advisable because you already find the bike a bit tall.
I would not suggest a Bullet because the vibrations are not a friend of low back pain.
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 10:24   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Considering your requirements, I would suggest you test ride Unicorn, GS 150 and Avenger - I have been using Unicorn for few years now, and have done some long and the bike is super comfortable. I modified the seat slightly by adding one more seat on top of the standard seat, and it aided me very well I am not sure it is advisable because you already find the bike a bit tall.
I would not suggest a Bullet because the vibrations are not a friend of low back pain.
Have you driven the GS150R? I myself TD'd it the other day. I especially liked the GSX-R inspired RPM meter and the dual modes. "Eco" and "power".

Also the GS150 has a FE of 60 kmpl I heard, how true is that?
Skye1592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 10:44   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye1592 View Post
Have you driven the GS150R? I myself TD'd it the other day. I especially liked the GSX-R inspired RPM meter and the dual modes. "Eco" and "power".

Also the GS150 has a FE of 60 kmpl I heard, how true is that?
I have ridden GS150, but not as long as I would love so that I can make a definite opinion. But from the brief ride I had, the bike impressed me it is a worthy alternative in the 150 cc segment. I am afraid that I cannot comment about the mileage - extracting best mileage from any given bike was never my forte
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 11:28   #24
BHPian

Get a RE - Thunderbird. It is stable, has excellent seating, riding position, shockers, and delivers a 35 KMPL economy consistently. Suits your needs to the 'T'.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 12:57   #25
BHPian

Out of my list due to budget:

Dazzler, Karizma, Bullet, RE Thunderbird

Out of list due to not my taste of style:

Avenger

In my list now:

Unicorn, Hunk/CBZ (what is the difference apart from design?), GS150, Apache 160 (maybe. Edit: Now deleted)

GS150 looks like a good bike from the specs and great to see 6 gears. I think they recently came up with Discs at the front right, coz last I checked they had drums and I went What the for a 150CC! But is is pretty heavy at 149 KG. However, it looks more modern than the Unicorn and is well within my budget @ 71K. Will have to TD it sometime soon.

The Apache is light and seems to be a racy bike from all of your comments but if it ain't comfy, I'm not buying it.

@thumpmeister, have you test driven the GS150? Edit: Just test rode my colleague's Apache 160 and it ain't no comfort riding that man! Within 10 minutes my hands wanted a break and by 15 minutes I needed rest for my back, but I couldn't! Out of my list!

Last edited by hellmet : 11th May 2011 at 12:59.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 13:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hunk is very comfortable with its seating position and handle bar. The engine whine is as gentle as a kinetic Honda but delivers very good power. Most comfortable of the list you have given (Personally)

Unicorn is similar to Apache. I felt the Apache to be more sporty and to carry more feature. The Apache 180 is one of my favorite bikes.

Anything over 5 gears should be automatic. I have my RE with 4 gears and though i would like a 5th gear, i would never wish for a 6 gear set up.

I vote Hunk from the list.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 14:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

Bike and super back comfort is an oxymoron statement (In Indian Context).
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 20:07   #28
BHPian

I can confidently say from my experience that there are two factors more important for comfort:
1) Straight seating position like you had in victor.Your hands should fold at your elbow to give you comfort and your spine should be straight 90 degrees to the seat.They shouldn't be outstretched like sports bike posture as in Apache or Pulsar or even in Karizma we have to stretch a bit and your back is not in a 90 degree position.
2) You should have good gas shock absorbers and a wide long seat.
For the first point only Unicorn and GS150 clear the criteria.
For the second point I dont find Unicorn suspension good enough in comfort. Its a bit hard.I own a apache 180 and i find my suspension better than Unicorn in comfort.You should try GS150 and findout if its suspension is good.(I never rode one)
Other bikes like pulsar,apache are of no use. Karizma is better than these two as it has a better seating position than pulsar and apache and also it has a long seat.But I find apache's suspension softer than Karizma. Hope my 2 cents help. Please test drive extensively and decide.
Pulsar,Apache and all other bikes with bent forward position are a no-no for comfort.
I would still recommend you to go for a 100cc light bike which will give you straight seating position and be flickable and easy to use in city.I also own a victor and I am very happy with its comfort and seating position. (Although the shock absobers you need to change after some usage to again get the same comfort level)
amit_purohit20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 20:15   #29
BHPian

Hey Amit, I agree with the 90 degree arm-angle thing. After test riding my colleague's Apache, I got back onto my Victor and it felt so much better to be sitting straight. Is there some way to refurbish the rear shock absorbers properly? How do they work, do they have fork oil as well? I was quoted Rs500 to refurbish the pair at a local suspension repair shop, which seemed a tad on the expensive side, but still is cheaper than paying Rs1200 for a new pair. If new is the only way to go, can I replace them with suspension from any other bike, say the Apache since it is gas-filled?
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 21:17   #30
BHPian

Honda Scooters might be better for your back .. try out the Aviator or Activa .. the seat is comfortable.

Aviator has bigger tyres than Activa and is better to handle. For a 45 km drive this is peace of mind since you don't need to change the gears + the riding position is very upright ..
junkishya is offline   Reply With Quote