Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 16th May 2011, 07:59   #16
BHPian

Looking for a 150cc bike, so Shine wont fit the bill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
The Honda Dazzler would check all the boxes in your requirements!

I would have suggested the RTR180 as you had mentioned that comfort is a second priority, but you have ruled it out so not recommending it.

But the Dazzler/GS150R are not as nimble as the RTR. So you will loose out a bit on that front.
YEah, the requirements are just too much for any single bike to please. I have an inkling for the Apache RTR 160 but have heard too many stories of vibrations after hitting 60, hence am a bit against it. Otherwise, i know it beats out all the bikes on handling & drags on the traffic lights..

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Hi there!

I have started some work on similar lines.

Please read through here, for my perspectives:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...cycle-75k.html (Fun-to-Ride Motorcycle for 75K!)

I am getting another TD this week too.
will update on the next opportunity.

Keep us updated!

care,

Ace.
Hey Ace,

Lets share some notes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by allauddin View Post
As per your requirement you should consider Yamaha SZ-R with front Disc brakes.

In my opinion for long drives like 70KM per day comfort is the most important factor - in this yamaha fares the best.

For driving in traffic the clutch needs to soft otherwise your left hand and fingers will start paining in the heavy WE traffic.

Right Now I have Suzuki GS150R - pros and cons are as follows

Pros -
Smooth Engine - ( Very important ) Vibe free even above 90.

Handling on straight stretch okay - If you want to whack it in traffic a big No , as this is a big beast of kerb weight more that 150KG.

Gives 55+FE if driven below the 4500RPM.

Cons
Very poor After Sales service. Service center guys hardly do any service except cleaning the bike.( I go to Panvel Service Center )

Braking - Really Bad , the rear brake on a new bike seems like a 2 years old worn out brake.

Saddle Height - For short people this bike is not recommended.

Silencer noise - After the bike gets hot, after driving for sometime, the silencer starts giving out squeaking noise during halts, this is the noise generated from the cooling of the hot silencer body, but it is very annoying.

Head light - very poor compared to other bikes.

Suspension - Is very hard considering the average weight of Indians. In your case as you will be solo riding most of the time , the suspension will be a big issue for you.

I test driven all the HH bikes , I found the gear shifting a bit hard compared to other bikes.

Before deciding on the bike surely check the clutch hardness, I have commuted heavily in mumbai traffic , so clutch will play a very important role for you.
@Allaudin: Thnx for your inputs man, your the first guy on TBHP to have so many cons to share about the GS 150R even though your the owner of one. I was getting a feeling that its the perfect bike so far. Is it really so bad considering the brakes, lights and after sales. Have you shared notes with any other owners?

Anyone has any inputs on the Pulsar 180?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 16th May 2011 at 12:34. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use Multi-quote function.
thumpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 09:33   #17
BHPian

Cool Re: Which 150/180CC Bike??? Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpmeister View Post
Hey Ace,

Lets share some notes...
Sure! PM me your number.

Quote:
Anyone has any inputs on the Pulsar 180?
Well, refer the Pulsar 220 TD in my report, you can expect similar-scaled performance
but, the downsides remain the same.

Comfort / Stress free riding, I can recommend two rides which are two different characters:
1. GS150R - fulfils all your requirements, sure about that, (but just that!)
2. Fz! - all that, plus a distinct character, at the price of FE + initial difference. (puts a wide smile on your face- like Punto does in the four wheeled world!)

I dont think you will ever look back with the Fz, (even if you are wild sometimes, or sedate otherwise),
Not sure with GS150, (but, again depends, how much you expect from the ride..)

just my POV,

Ace.
driverace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 10:35   #18
BHPian

Default Re: Which 150/180CC Bike??? Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
YEah, the requirements are just too much for any single bike to please. I have an inkling for the Apache RTR 160 but have heard too many stories of vibrations after hitting 60, hence am a bit against it. Otherwise, i know it beats out all the bikes on handling & drags on the traffic lights..
Any of the Apache's that you pick up will be vibey. That's their nature, that's the fun in riding it. That said, the 180 is a tad less vibey in comparison.

BTW, the *best* handling bike out there is the R15 hands down, the RTR series come in a close second though!
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 10:58   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Any of the Apache's that you pick up will be vibey. That's their nature,
That's right!
That said, the 180 is a tad less vibey in comparison.
Cant argue with that either!
But, again..
BTW, the *best* handling bike out there is the R15 hands down,
well, that is sure correct, when you expect the handling at post gear no. 4..
Things are different, when we expect the handling in city conditions.

Lets rephrase:
Where exactly do you expect the "best" handling (majorly-that is)?

If Highway manners is the answer:
R15 - flickable, awesome! (comfortable? - Naah, dont go there with the R15!)
RTR 180 - Is a Rocket! No doubt there ( but, again, its more a drag machine! with some work, it can easily pull close and ahead of R15.. perhaps.)
Fz- Balanced - with power-comfort-flickable handling!

If City ethics is the answer:
R15! (seriously!? In the traffic!?, you want to do some upper body training first..)
RTR 180 - vibrations would be the more tiring than the traffic! and they hit badly at 4K-6K rpms _ (that spells doom!)
Fz- Slickest wheels in the traffic, Power's really good at low end, Posture.. OMG, posture is like adjustable (just like the suspension).
The Fz, does not force you to ride in any 'single' position, you can go crouched, sit back, or just 'commuter' position is fine as well.
the wide straight handle bars keep your arms happy too!

the RTR series come in a close second though!

My view is slightly different as explained above.
So, its all depends on what the rider wants, and what he/she(?) expects from the ride.
very very subjective too!

my POV again

care,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 16th May 2011 at 11:02.
Old 16th May 2011, 14:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Any of the Apache's that you pick up will be vibey. That's their nature, that's the fun in riding it. That said, the 180 is a tad less vibey in comparison.

BTW, the *best* handling bike out there is the R15 hands down, the RTR series come in a close second though!
But Low End torque for apache is awesome, it easily pulls double seat from 30km/hr in 5th gear and for R15 power comes very late in power band.

About the handing i think TVS tyres let down Apache, give them better tyre it will easily handle as good as R15.
parimal_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 14:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
About the handing i think TVS tyres let down Apache, give them better tyre it will easily handle as good as R15.
Agree about the low end torque. But the above is a little over board. Even with better tires, RTR will be a close 2nd to the R15 in the handling dept. And i have owned the RTR for the better part of 2 years!!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 14:33   #22
BHPian

Quote:
But Low End torque for apache is awesome, it easily pulls double seat from 30km/hr in 5th gear and for R15 power comes very late in power band.

I was speaking of just *handling* power might not be there low down, but topend is CRAZY

Anyways, back to the handling bit. Handling is not just about the tyre, the frame suspension play a huge role. Agreed that the RTR handles better with better tyres, but the R15 is still a notch above when it comes to overall *handling*!

@Driverace: Ergonomics and Handling are two different things, but I do agree with all your points there.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 14:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Agree about the low end torque. But the above is a little over board. Even with better tires, RTR will be a close 2nd to the R15 in the handling dept. And i have owned the RTR for the better part of 2 years!!
Why do you feel so..? TVS is king when it comes to dirt racing and even on Rack tracks, they are number one in India. And the bike is disiged by keeping the race track in mind, so matching R15 handling should not be any problem with better tyres.
Old 16th May 2011, 15:15   #24
BHPian

Quote:
@Driverace: Ergonomics and Handling are two different things, but I do agree with all your points there.
Handling and Ergo are indeed two different things.
I have put them hand in hand there, as they both decide your comfort level in driving around a city (for the major part!)

Again, my POV is from long-driven TDs of the bikes in question.

+ I now own the Fz

__
About the Handling part alone,
I was trying to make a point, saying, bikes handle differently depending on the speed/terrain/tyres
and, the OP is looking for a City cruncher, with some highway capacity.
hence, the clarity through the City / highway characteristics in the prev post.
__

thanks,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 16th May 2011 at 15:16.
Old 16th May 2011, 15:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why do you feel so..? TVS is king when it comes to dirt racing and even on Rack tracks, they are number one in India. And the bike is disiged by keeping the race track in mind, so matching R15 handling should not be any problem with better tyres.
I have never taken it to the tracks and hence cannot comment about the race track bit. But the chassis-suspension combo of the R15 is better sorted when compared to the RTR. Try leaning into a corner and accelerating out of it in the R15 and try the same corner in the RTR. I have done this during a ride with a friend's R15 and my RTR. Believe me, i never thought i had the skills to lean into a corner until i did with the R15. With the RTR, there is always that jittery feeling that the rear might give in anytime. Even quick lane changes feel easier in the R15 than the RTR.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 17:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I have never taken it to the tracks and hence cannot comment about the race track bit. But the chassis-suspension combo of the R15 is better sorted when compared to the RTR. Try leaning into a corner and accelerating out of it in the R15 and try the same corner in the RTR. I have done this during a ride with a friend's R15 and my RTR. Believe me, i never thought i had the skills to lean into a corner until i did with the R15. With the RTR, there is always that jittery feeling that the rear might give in anytime. Even quick lane changes feel easier in the R15 than the RTR.

Ok Sir, Accepted, as i have never got change to ride R15 as hard as Apache, but on good twisty Roads the Apache was awesome, almost every time i scraped the Stand while leaning in to the corners, and never felt uneasy. Also one thing i want to mention is its amazing stable in Cross winds my friends ridding bullet was just amazed to see the Straight line stability during the heavy cross winds.Quick lane change Apache feels bit heavy due to the weight biased towards front and fat front rubber, just what i think.
Old 16th May 2011, 22:18   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Handling and Ergo are indeed two different things.
I have put them hand in hand there, as they both decide your comfort level in driving around a city (for the major part!)

Again, my POV is from long-driven TDs of the bikes in question.

+ I now own the Fz

__
About the Handling part alone,
I was trying to make a point, saying, bikes handle differently depending on the speed/terrain/tyres
and, the OP is looking for a City cruncher, with some highway capacity.
hence, the clarity through the City / highway characteristics in the prev post.
__

thanks,

Ace.
@Ace: So u finally went for the FZ, huh? Asking this question as your thread has run pretty long, man..
Old 17th May 2011, 18:14   #28

This bike has the biggest turning radius. So it becomes difficult to squeeze in between in bumper to bumper traffic.

I have adjusted this bike to the softest suspension still it gives jerks to the spine over the bumps.

Compare the clutch of this bike with others before deciding.

Servicing will be big headache.

I have used almost all available Indian commuter bikes.

I am writing this as per my experience, one more factor, if you do not like it and want to sell off you will be disappointed.
allauddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 21:44   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allauddin View Post
This bike has the biggest turning radius. So it becomes difficult to squeeze in between in bumper to bumper traffic.

I have adjusted this bike to the softest suspension still it gives jerks to the spine over the bumps.

Compare the clutch of this bike with others before deciding.

Servicing will be big headache.

I have used almost all available Indian commuter bikes.

I am writing this as per my experience, one more factor, if you do not like it and want to sell off you will be disappointed.
Hey Allaudin,

Brother, can you help me with the list of reasonable complaints that you have coz you really seem to be frustrated with this bike... It will probable completely wean me away from this machine, as until now i have heard only positive stuff about the GS150..
Old 17th May 2011, 21:56   #30
BHPian

if u dont mind going down a few cc's i would recommend an RX135. Ive had an absolute blast on it there - using a 5 speed bore/gb setup there makes more sense there. Ud be blasting past most of the traffic on the expressways. using it in city traffic is pretty enjoyable too .

if ur open to slower means of transportation i would suggest the R15 - more expensive or the RTR180 - both are at the top of the 150cc and 180cc segment no questions about it. They look good , offer decent milage - 40- 50 kmpl rage , reasonable acceleration compared to a 2 stroke and great cycle parts - with the R15 edging the RTR out in terms of tech . take ur pick.

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 17th May 2011 at 22:01.
2StrokeJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote