Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 22nd May 2011, 23:29   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Which bike for the best fuel economy ?

A suggestion guys. Please think about your back's health also before buying any of this so-called commuter/utility bikes. I used to drive a Splendour, then I 'upgraded' to a Suzuki Heat. I used to drive nearly 30 kms (up-down from office). I started having tail bone pain. I ignored it first, then it got worse. Went to a doc, he told me it is because of the riding position and I have to be more upright while driving. Did that too nothing happened. Made the seat more cushiony. Then also nothing happened. I had to go around with a special pillow, to avoid the tail bone pain. Became a laughing stock in the office and among friends. Nearly, became a painkiller junky. Finally, I went for a month long vacation, drove no Heat/Splendour during that time. The pain naturally subsided.
Came back home, sold of the splendour and heat. And got a Bullet after some searching. My back has never been better and is thanking me for it!!!
Moral of the story: To save some money, don't screw your back by driving a so-called utility/commuter bike!!!
Leepower is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:27   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
A suggestion guys. Please think about your back's health also before buying any of this so-called commuter/utility bikes. I used to drive a Splendour, then I 'upgraded' to a Suzuki Heat. I used to drive nearly 30 kms (up-down from office). I started having tail bone pain. I ignored it first, then it got worse. Went to a doc, he told me it is because of the riding position and I have to be more upright while driving. Did that too nothing happened. Made the seat more cushiony. Then also nothing happened. I had to go around with a special pillow, to avoid the tail bone pain. Became a laughing stock in the office and among friends. Nearly, became a painkiller junky. Finally, I went for a month long vacation, drove no Heat/Splendour during that time. The pain naturally subsided.
Came back home, sold of the splendour and heat. And got a Bullet after some searching. My back has never been better and is thanking me for it!!!
Moral of the story: To save some money, don't screw your back by driving a so-called utility/commuter bike!!!
Are you saying that you back is better now after switching to a Bullet or it is worse.
raghutk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:35   #48
BHPian

I mean the tail bone pain is no more, back is super healthy now!!!

Last edited by Leepower : 23rd May 2011 at 11:37.
Leepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 14:18   #49
BHPian

Hi Folks!!
I test drove Splendour NXG. I liked the looks of the bike. It feels little under powered and I did not the like the way the gear box worked as I needed to change the gear very often due to traffic. Overall impression was good.
They were mentioning that Hero Honda will become Hero Moto so they were telling me to wait for a month if I am planning to buy as I will get with new graphics.

Will do Suzuki Slingshot and GS 150 TD tomorrow ....
raghutk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 07:55   #50
BHPian

Many reasons to avoid splendor.
1. Very poor refinement. Handle bar vibration. Especially between 50~70 kmph
2. Too short geared
3. Poor pick up
4. Skinny tires
5. Unsuitable for a small weekend trip to recover the lost memories
6. Timing chain noise
7. 4 gear

You are driving a car so it doesnt bother you slight difference of mileage between the bikes.
My friend Initially thought of buying splendor considering his daily commute and nature of work ~60km a day. I made him purchase gladiator. The mileage is definitely less than splendor but the bike behavior is too good. Above 70 the bike behaves well planted unlike feather like handling in splendor. He hasnt changed any parts except oil, tyres, chain set.
Now bike options are more but i suggest you to stick with suzu, honda, yammie. I would suggest you to check yamaha szr and suzuki GS 150R.

Regards,
Vijay
vijaycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 23:10   #51
BHPian

Go for bajaj...will be the best in the market..Why am saying it is due to my experience.

Am having a Caliber115 from 2003 onwards..apart from regular service, the engine has not been open and now last day it clocked 1.00lakh kilometer in ODO..

Proud to be an owner of this bike and its simply so smooth.
urzdeepu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 11:49   #52
BHPian

Before you decide, take a TD of the Discover 150. Super value for money about 58k on road in Bangalore and mileage of around 55. Have done about 2.6k on the machine in 2 months and no complaints so far. Its a good commuter bike, I do about 40km daily

PS : I was also driving a car to office for about 3yrs but the commute time just kept growing longer
amit.mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 16:04   #53
BHPian

Choice depends on the prime objective --
1.Mileage - Bajaj Discover 100 / Platina
2.Resale value - Hero Honda Splendor
3.Multiuser (lady driver) - Honda Activa

I have all those in family, can assure that the choice as per this will give you desired results.

Driven Splendor mostly in college days.

Even though now I work as Expert for Premium cars, prefer to catch office on my Platina - Very fuel efficient.
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 20:31   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urzdeepu View Post
Go for bajaj...will be the best in the market..Why am saying it is due to my experience.

Am having a Caliber115 from 2003 onwards..apart from regular service, the engine has not been open and now last day it clocked 1.00lakh kilometer in ODO..

Proud to be an owner of this bike and its simply so smooth.
The Caliber 115 was one very good bike, can't say the same about all Bajaj though, even today if you ride a well maintained Caliber 115, it feels fantastic, the engine is smooth and the whole riding position is very good.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 12:45   #55
BHPian

I would go with the TVS star or any of the smaller suzuki's, Value for money with durability and superior mileage
athalaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 12:52   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
Hi,
You can also try TVS Star City, i think it comes in 110 cc and 100 cc models,
you can find the report by bike guru here,

TVS Sport 100 Road Test by Dilip Bam

TVS bikes has very good LET, also check Jive if you can digest its plane looks.
+

TVS Jive giving me around 52/55 kmpl with 70% city ride (heavy traffic).

Regarding its ''Plane Look'' - only a clutch lever is missing comparing the TVS City..!
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 15:56   #57
BHPian

FE on a bike is not just a function of the bike but the nut holding the handle. While a lot of people say the Hunk has poor FE (40-45), I regularly get above 55 and I am a spirited rider. It is just that you have to keep it in the sweet spot. Even on Highways, I try maintaining a constant speed of 60-65. Safer, better for the FE.

I have a friend who has a Passion Pro and complained always of bad FE (<50). I once went with him to see how he rides, he was literally ripping the bike, though there is no tacho, I am sure he was shifting at a lot higher RPM. I told him that I will take a challenge. We drained the fuel (remove pipe-open cock-fill bottles). I filled in two litres of fuel, exactly. I rode the bike for a couple of days. The total Odo was 79 kms. We again drained out the fuel and had exactly (measured using a volume flask) - 900 ml fuel. so total used was 1.1 litre for 79 kms, which is a FE of 71 kmpl approx.

All I did was ride it sanely, did not exceed 50 kmph at any time, did not over rev the bike.

If youll are planning to buy an econo commuter and ride above 50 kmph (high revs) you will get FE equal to a 150 cc bike. Also you will have to do a lot of shifting. Generally the suspension is not as good as the 150ccs.

I have seen some posts where people plan to travel 50 kms+ everyday including highway speeds of 60 kmph+.
Safety wise - Suggest you buy a 150 (or atleast a 125/ 135 with disks)
Comfort wise - Go for a 150 /135 - lot better suspension.
Health wise - Go for a 150/135, simply because your back is not worth trying to save 200 bucks a month. (ask me how I get this figure)
torquecurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 20:41   #58
BHPian

Go for Bajaj DTS-Si (100 cc) bike.

Decent looking, very comfortable seat for a commuter bike(i personally travel about 70-80 km on it every day without trouble), gives great mileage(75-80 kmpl), great exhaust sound for a 100 cc bike(as compared to HH splendor), good looks. Had no problem with service till date.

Travelling during running-in period can be a bit scary, but once you're done with those 2000 km, it works fine on a highway or elsewhere for overtaking, etc. Brakes are decent, though drums, but responds well to emergency stops.

Go take it for a test ride once and see for yourself.
racingmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 13:37   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Above 70 the bike behaves well planted unlike feather like handling in splendor.
With a splendor, one is not supposed to cross 70 KPH. Horses for courses!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 20:45   #60
BHPian

Hey, IMHO you can go for Hero Honda Glamour or if you can stretch your budget a little the CBZ can be the best choice,
When driven sanely CBZ returns around 57 KMPL and just in case you want to take it for a spin on the highways it can pull a 100KMPH easily
No offense against Bajaj Owners (Heck i myself own 2 Bajaj bikes-read signature) but trust me over a period of 6-7 years the bajaj bike is full of rattles and plastics are not that good either
And both above suggested bikes have a decent low end torque to keep you moving thru traffic
P.S They are not comparable to FE a splendor can offer but since seating comfort is also a key concern these days, i am not suggesting the splendor
shridhar.s.i is offline   Reply With Quote