Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 29th July 2011, 22:42   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Wow!!!

Won't using a cloth or PPF application on the Silver side panels be helpful?

Also, post-monsoons I might be getting the silver panels getting painted Black. Am considering that option for now and not completely sure. Had seen a full black CBR in the states and it looks terrific.

My only worry is the paint quality here. Am getting it executed from the A.S.S. only, hopefully.

Let me know your thoughts. Planning something on these lines.
All black looks very good. But the paint will peel off if it is not a good quality one which can be used on plastic parts and can withstand moderate temperatures for a long time. I think using high quality transparent stickers (3M unavailable in bangalore) will be the best option to avoid scratches. It can also be removed easily later.

I think using a cloth is a good option, but you need to ensure that it is not moving out of place when the bike is in motion. Someones silver panel broke during a long ride because of the weight of saddle bag (Cramster Colt).
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 23:01   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
All black looks very good. But the paint will peel off if it is not a good quality one which can be used on plastic parts and can withstand moderate temperatures for a long time. I think using high quality transparent stickers (3M unavailable in bangalore) will be the best option to avoid scratches. It can also be removed easily later.

I think using a cloth is a good option, but you need to ensure that it is not moving out of place when the bike is in motion. Someones silver panel broke during a long ride because of the weight of saddle bag (Cramster Colt).
Yes, I already am consulting a couple of more guys for the paint job and how durable it is. And I have been told the existing surface will prove to helpful while the painting process. Seems like they will be scrubbing it first, will keep you posted on this.

The 3M PPF will be a good option, will talk to Isodope about this. I am sure he will be able to help. Since you are from Bangalore, why don't you consult Aditya (the N250 owner). He will be more than happy to help you with more information and help source the film as well.

Silver Panel breaking due to excess weight can be understood, but if it has broken just due to the moderate weight being plonked for a long ride then the quality of plastics really becomes a concern.
mantrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 11:33   #108

Quote:
Wow!!!

You have solved my problem, I should be ordering mine soon. Thanks a ton.

BTW, I just noticed the heat shield from the exhaust missing. Is it on purpose or something else? Apart from that, how do the colts hold against rains? I know they are not water proof but once you start riding after the rains have stopped, how dirty do they tend to get (by muck splashed from rear rubber) and how easy/tedious is getting them clean again.
I did ooty and coonoor last weekend in moderate rain (i rode in rain, thanks to my good old duckbacks) and did not face any issues with colt... they are not waterproof, but are fairly water-resistant, if you have a plastic cover the water would just flow/trickle down(from the top) and anyways the top cover has a plastic liner on the inside.. so that should help..

they get v dirty coz of the muck spray from frm the rear wheel.. not tried cleaning them yet.. shall do this weekend..!

Regarding scratches, The portion which touches the side silver panel has some soft cloth stitched.. and I did about 600-700 kms of riding at good speeds on all sorts of roads without worrying abt the saddle bags.. they don't move from position as far as you have balanced them right and I din not see any scratches after the ride.. neither did I feel the plastic shall give away, I had loaded both sides, atleast 95% of capacity.

Regarding heat shield, I had dropped the bike once, It fell towards the right side as my shoe lace got struck in the gear shifter So, the heat shield got badly scratched and looks ugly now(so removed it), front brake lever broke(replaced with an apache RTR lever) right foor peg broke(replaced with a ZMR footpeg) and the front mudguard also has cracked near one of the fasteners (Waiting for the parts since june 10th at city honda, unable to get them..! )
vibsvibes is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 17:40   #109
BHPian

Quote:
The 3M PPF will be a good option, will talk to Isodope about this. I am sure he will be able to help. Since you are from Bangalore, why don't you consult Aditya (the N250 owner). He will be more than happy to help you with more information and help source the film as well.
Gaurav,
3M PPF is not available still. I had spoke to the Sales person of 3M directly and he mentioned they are planning to introduce it sometime during sept-oct timeframe.
As far as i know, even Aditya had spoken to them i believe. I will let Aditya confirm that.
rk_sans is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 22:21   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Gaurav,
3M PPF is not available still. I had spoke to the Sales person of 3M directly and he mentioned they are planning to introduce it sometime during sept-oct timeframe.
As far as i know, even Aditya had spoken to them i believe. I will let Aditya confirm that.
I checked with Llumar, 3M and many others and no PPF available here.

But there is one shop in JC road where the PPF is available (not as good as the imported ones, but does the job as far as i can tell). One of the guys who rode with us today showed the film and it looked good.

Waiting for him to send me details of the shop. Will post it as soon as i get it.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 11:35   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibsvibes View Post
Update Regarding Colts :
Cramster colts can be used flawlessly on the CBR.
Thanks for that update!

Quote:
Apart from that, how do the colts hold against rains? I know they are not water proof but once you start riding after the rains have stopped, how dirty do they tend to get (by muck splashed from rear rubber) and how easy/tedious is getting them clean again.
The Colts are indeed not water-proof but can hold against bad weather pretty well. What I usually do is get a huge plastic bag and line it inside the saddle-bag. This does the job well. They are quite easy to clean, no worries.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 20:54   #112
Senior - BHPian

I completed 1000 kms after doing around 400 kms during weekend, went for a ride to Yelagiri. I will give the bike for first service next week.

The bike has been running fine. I touched 128 kmph easily on an empty stretch, did not push more as I am in run in. I have been using the bike between 5k-6k rpm after 500 kms.

Few observations:
  1. The engine started opening up and I find the smootness and power delivery much better. The gear shifts are also getting better.
  2. The tires are very good on dry tarmac, but pathetic on wet conditions. While climbing down from Yelagiri, I had to be very careful as the rear was losing grip easily.
  3. I found some rust (very small) on the weld area of steering joint. It seems to be common as many friends are having the issue.
  4. The bike's response comes down marginally after riding continously (mainly at 5k-6k rpm) for around 1 hour. I take a break, let the engine cool and it is back to normal. The first service is scheduled next week.
  5. The bike is very stable at 100-110 kmph. I wanted a bike which can cruise comfortably at 100 kmph and I am very happy here. I do not think our highways are good for speeds above that. Even on baricaded GQ, people cross by jumping over the baricade and there are vehicles coming from wrong direction.
  6. The ride comfort is very good, the handling is only decent (if you expect a sports bike handling, look at Ninja). The vehicle feels a little heavy on high speeds, so you need to shift your weight to get the best out the bike. The broad seat helps to move around and shift positions on long rides.
  7. I had to slow down suddenly on highway (I use down shifting and brakes together) as a truck cut lane suddenly. The vehicle was pretty stable, the rear slided a little. ABS would have very useful in these situations, can be managed with standard as long as you do not go out of your comfort zone.
Few pictures from ride to Yelagiri today with a friend.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-p1010186.jpg  

Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-p1010174.jpg  

Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-p1010179.jpg  

Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-p1010177.jpg  

Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-p1010181.jpg  

Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-p1010182.jpg  

Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-p1010183.jpg  

Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-p1010184.jpg  

Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review-p1010185.jpg  

PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 22:32   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
---------snip-----------[*]The bike's response comes down marginally after riding continously (mainly at 5k-6k rpm) for around 1 hour. I take a break, let the engine cool and it is back to normal. The first service is scheduled next week.
---------snip-----------
Wow, good pics. 2 CBRs riding together - must have been fun pushing the limits to the bikes.

Wow, your point above is quite worrying to me cause I am buying this bike only for non-stop touring for atleast 200 kms before I take a break. But are all bikes like this? Cause I cannot do more than 100 kms on my Thunderbird.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 23:01   #114
Senior - BHPian

I think hes doing runnin , it will open up after 3-4 k kms . Then should be able do even a IRONBUTT . Black bikes look nice , which are rare compared to red littered all over .
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 23:09   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
I think hes doing runnin , it will open up after 3-4 k kms . Then should be able do even a IRONBUTT . Black bikes look nice , which are rare compared to red littered all over .
Yes, I have just reached 1000 kms. The first service is due next week. It should be fine after a few thousand kms.
Old 1st August 2011, 08:20   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Wow!!!

Also, post-monsoons I might be getting the silver panels getting painted Black. Am considering that option for now and not completely sure. Had seen a full black CBR in the states and it looks terrific.

My only worry is the paint quality here. Am getting it executed from the A.S.S. only, hopefully.
Sorry for the late read/reply, was off the grid for the weekend. Yes YOU DEFINATELY SHOULD get her painted all black, will look awesome. I would suggest you do it from ISODOPE's contact in Vasai instead of A.S.S - same quality but dirt cheap rates. I have seen his paintwork, so can assure you its good - you can see for yourself when you visit Vasai next.

My 2 cents - get the silver panels changed to matt black, would look damn neat with the glossy tank and other panels !
salunkhe.vizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 08:32   #117
BHPian

Quote:
I completed 1000 kms after doing around 400 kms during weekend, went for a ride to Yelagiri.
Awesome Pics, wish I was in B'lore right now (I was till last year) - would have been the third CBR on your trip.

I havent been able to take mine out in Mumbai because of crazy rains. A couple of planned weekend rides have been cancelled till now, so I only have 300km on my ODO

Quick Question: Did you stay at Yelagiri OR did you do a morning to evening trip? If you stayed over, was parking the bike in the hotel/public areas a problem ?

Last edited by salunkhe.vizz : 1st August 2011 at 08:34.
Old 1st August 2011, 10:16   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post

Quick Question: Did you stay at Yelagiri OR did you do a morning to evening trip? If you stayed over, was parking the bike in the hotel/public areas a problem ?
It was a day trip from Bangalore. We started at 5:00 AM in the morning and was back at 2:30 PM. When I stop at highway restaurants, I sit at a place where I can see the bike. There have been many onlookers, but noone has touched the bike until now. I leave the bike when necessary, I left the bike in parking space of boat house in Yelagiri. I am willing to take the risk as I got the bike for touring, I cannot stay with the bike always. I have got a security alarm, which I use in crowded areas where I leave the bike for a long time. I think it will be completely safe once CBR becomes very common.
Old 1st August 2011, 10:38   #119
BHPian

Quote:
I have got a security alarm, which I use in crowded areas where I leave the bike for a long time
Perfect, can you please give details on the Security Alarm

- Price
- Where did you install from
- Features

I had one for my Karizma, but it was a typical grey market made in china product for 2.5k with a remote ignition (scary as anyone using a same frequency/universal remote can start and take off with the bike without a key) - I had it installed at a local shop which stripped my Karizma, I am not comfy with them doing that to my CBR !

Will the A.S.S do the installation if requested ?
Old 1st August 2011, 11:07   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I checked with Llumar, 3M and many others and no PPF available here.
3M PPF is under testing, will be out in the market in a few weeks from now.

My bike has the 3M PPF on the tank, gonna do a full test on it over a weekend ride soon.

Been on bike for less than a day. So far all praises for this

Last edited by praful : 1st August 2011 at 11:08.
praful is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote