Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 7th June 2011, 20:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Modifying the Hero Honda Hunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Suggest you try the clip-ons first. In case they are not properly fitted they can break esp if you load the front (hunk is front heavy) and hit a bump. Also, keep the width of the beast in mind, shorter handlebars will actually affect your handling and not improve it. my 2cents.
Break? Gulp, that frightens me alright! I'll check it out and post it here if its fits. Your suggestion is highly valued. Don't the CBZ and Hunk have the same Chassis?
ashwin.terminat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 20:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Break? Gulp, that frightens me alright! I'll check it out and post it here if its fits. Your suggestion is highly valued. Don't the CBZ and Hunk have the same Chassis?
Yes and No. The CBZ and Hunk share the same Chassis but with differennt load factors. Also for firring Clip-ons typically there is a three point base connection which is connected to the chassis. This plate is bolted/ welded on to the front frame directly This is what makes it strong. When Clp-ons are added later typically they bolt it directly to the shockers with a clamp. Highly unsafe. If it done the OEM way it is ok, otherwise you are better off without it.
torquecurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 22:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Ok, I'll see what's best then, if successful, will post it here. Thanks for all the help torque! Any idea regarding the seat?
Old 8th June 2011, 01:19   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, I'll see what's best then, if successful, will post it here. Thanks for all the help torque! Any idea regarding the seat?
Extra layer of foam will help. Will increase the seat height though a little, but I think that is ok. For me my ex gf used to love the seat with the small hump in the middle
torquecurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 09:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

Yes, well in those times, proximity is an important factor! But since, no gf yet, people sit far away on the rear seat. And asking them to sit closer isn't the best option. But yeah, will consider that too. Can't we make it split it split seat like the new P180?
Old 8th June 2011, 19:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

You can go to a good seatmaker and they should be able to add extra foam and a good seat cover plus if you need the sloping kind of seat, i guess that also can be done by adding some more foam for the back part of the seat. Sort of gives you the division in between but P180 doesnt have 'Split Seats'.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 00:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

the step seats, where is a distinctive marking between the front and rear seat! I thought of the foam, but won't the overall profile of the bike become weird?
Old 9th June 2011, 13:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't mind a sporty stance for better handling!
Was following your thread but had not replied till i read the above.

Retro fitted clip on handle bars does not always translate to better handling. When building the bike, the manufacturer would have considered lot of stuff before giving the type of handle bar that they do. Specially so for the Hunk considering its a relatively wide bike. And as TC has mentioned, if not fitted properly, they can break at the most inopportune of times. Think through this before you go for the clip on handle bars.

And on a heavy bike like hunk, the sporty stance might not always cheer you up even!!!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 13:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Was following your thread but had not replied till i read the above.

Retro fitted clip on handle bars does not always translate to better handling. When building the bike, the manufacturer would have considered lot of stuff before giving the type of handle bar that they do. Specially so for the Hunk considering its a relatively wide bike. And as TC has mentioned, if not fitted properly, they can break at the most inopportune of times. Think through this before you go for the clip on handle bars.

And on a heavy bike like hunk, the sporty stance might not always cheer you up even!!!
Hmmm. Everyday, I learn something new. I guess the clip-ons are out then. Any guesses on whether the seat from the new CBZ Xtreme will be a direct fit? Anyone in Bangalore has access to the seat of the New CBZ? :P
Old 12th August 2011, 15:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

My next idea and (null-voiding the others except the split handlebars) is a half naked chain. Is it possible to switch with the chain and rear sprocket of the dazzler?
Also, was wondering if I could get my hands on the Service Manual(not Owner's Manual) of the Hunk?
Old 12th August 2011, 17:21   #26
BHPian

Hondas are equipped with X-Link type chains if I am right. Half Naked Chain is a bad idea if you don't have O-ring type chain. O-ring is capable of working without problems in both dusty and wet environments without any issues. If you can set your hands upon an O-ring type chain for your Hunk, you can go ahead with the modification. Otherwise its trouble for your whole drive train.
sharanvenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2011, 10:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, I know the deal with the O ring chain. I was wondering if the chain of the new Dazzler would fit onto the hunk and if a sprocket change is required. If so, would that of the dazzler fit?
Old 13th August 2011, 21:43   #28
BHPian

I doubt the possibility. Dazzler sports 17 inch wheels. Implies differences in length.
sharanvenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2011, 23:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

Yeah true, the Dazzler does sport 17 inch wheels to the Hunk's 18. So no hope? :(
Old 14th August 2011, 00:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

@ashwin what you want from the bike is a little unclear to me and sort of feels like you wanted some thing similar to what a karizma has... power, DC wiring ~ higger wattage bulb~better lighting, style, and the likes...

some of these can be done on hunk some would hamper the reliability.

well for starters, you can do re-rewind the stator coil of your bike to generate more current and use a bigger rectifier, i read about this being done on a unicorn some time back dont exactly remember if it was team-bhp or xbhp, but the good news is some chaps from bangalore did this a while back so if you are really interested search the forums for the same find out their first hand experience and proceed accordingly. successful completion of this mod should let you run HIDs or higher wattage bulbs and you might need a bigger battery. (as it is done before, shouldnt cost you a bomb)

as for increasing the power, i strictly suggest against it on this bike. i have been there done that, and know it from my first hand experience.

well the chain-sprocket set change to o-ring can be done provided you find a similar specification set in the market that would be a retrofit, but it is not available off the shelf as a set, you would have to buy chain of a different bike, and sprockets of different bikes, doing this should give you both looks and a slightly higher top-end/relaxed cruising for the engine.

check with your mechanic and ask around the number of teeth on the sprockets of different HH/H bikes(the ambition/passion/old cbz or other that sets your bike's hub) and check out one of the tvs bikes' o-ring type seal chains. the karizma's/yamaha's/bajaj have different sizes of chains and sprockets that wont set to form a combo, your best combo for this bike is one the tvs's chains or similar size chain(make sure it has enough number of links~length for your bike before purchase) and one of Honda family sprockets.(again with enough knowledge and your mech's experience should make sure you bike the right set and not buy a few items as a try out, this cost less for you).
EDIT:On the same note if you are able to get the size of the chain and the sprockets of the DAzzler then your mechanic should be able to tell you if it fits as a retrofit.

now as for the handle of the bike, i can tell you this, the old pulsar handle the short one for sporty seating position, the current one for a mix (in between) of both, and old unicorn's for a upright relaxed position, so do your pick.(the pulsar's handle would need with a minor mods alike a couple of holes to seat the switches, should be easy the mech can do it). if you surely want a two piece clip on handle bars, then i recommend karizma's this would be expensive and you might need either just the T-plate change or both T-plate and T-stem change to accommodate this handle bar.

these are things i am currently able to help you with, all the best and let us know how they go.

Last edited by rider60 : 14th August 2011 at 01:03.
rider60 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote