Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 26th May 2011, 12:18   #1
BHPian

Default Is the Avenger suitable for a tall well built person.

Hi,

Having used the Bajaj Pulsar for 8 years, I think its time to bid farewell to the old buddy and replace it with a new bike.

I am 6'2" tall well built man. And am seriously considering the Avenger or the Thunderbird ( somehow favour the former though ).

The only concern is whether the avenger 220 would be suitable for a person of my height.

Would really appreciate the thoughts of fellow BHPians on this.

Thanks.
baz_303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 12:25   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Is the Avenger suitable for a tall well built person.

Cruiser bikes generally tend to help tall people as it helps them keep the back straight. A friend who's 6'1" was more comfortable on the Avenger than the CBZ.

However, what I've observed riding the Avenger (and would apply to cruisers) is that you need to apply more pressure thru' the feet for gear change or braking. With the conventional bike, the stance and gravity help!
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 13:56   #3
BHPian

Thanks! That helps.

I will get a test ride in soon
baz_303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 13:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

I am 6'1. I felt like driving a baby cycle and it was definitely not comfortable. I still prefer my bull .

The braking, gear change and the overall positioning of the feet is not exactly comfortable.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 14:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The braking, gear change and the overall positioning of the feet is not exactly comfortable.
+1. Felt exactly the same thing on the test ride of the avenger. I am 6'0 and the positioning of the feet felt awkward. Rest was fine in terms of the relaxed seating etc. But the braking was scary due to the positioning of the feet. Probably if one gets used to it they might be at home with it!!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 14:36   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I am 6'1. I felt like driving a baby cycle and it was definitely not comfortable. I still prefer my bull .

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
.... am 6'0 and the positioning of the feet felt awkward...
... But the braking was scary due to the positioning of the feet. ...
+1. The positioning of feet is just crappy for tall people.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 17:41   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz_303 View Post
Hi,
I am 6'2" tall well built man. And am seriously considering the Avenger or the Thunderbird ( somehow favour the former though ).
The only concern is whether the avenger 220 would be suitable for a person of my height.
Get the Bull. Period. (wish I'd made the same decision 4 years back when I bought my P180). I am also 6'2" and the avenger is too short for a person of my height. Avenger feels like a baby when compared to a Bull.
surd_biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 18:22   #8
BHPian

I'm 6'3, well built, own a Pulsar and have had the same dilemma as yours. As others mentioned the Avenger will not suit us. I rode my friend's RETB a couple times. Loved the ride, the engine beat, the Harley feel and what not, but somehow wasn't conivinced enough to make it my primary ride. Though I would definitely like to have it as my secondary ride, right now I don't have enough reasons to replace my Pulsar which has done only 7,000km in 6years.

The Indian bike scene is changing quite rapidly and the launch of CBR250 is only going to open new avenues for lots more bikes to come. I would say, if the RE doesnt convince you enough, just wait for a year or two.
CliffHanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 20:12   #9
BHPian

My two cents:
Avenger should not pose much issues with your built but Thunderbird will be much more suited. Not just the stance but the built will match your persona much more. My vote for your built goes to TB, although I love Avenger to core.
justwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 20:15   #10
BHPian

The best stance is actually an upright stance like the Bullect Electra or the current Standard, Avenger will feel good for a short while, however in the long run, it'll not feel good due to it's low height especially if driven in city B2B traffic conditions. I say buy a Bullet Electra or Standard.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 20:36   #11
BHPian

Although the Thunderbird is called a cruiser, it does not have the traditional "feet forward" riding position associated with cruisers. It is very comfortable and does not cause back-aches etc, on long rides. I suggest you try one on a 100+km ride before you decide.
Rollin' Thunda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 21:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think the back-aches are caused by not just the feet position. Its the shoulder to handle bar position. The closer your body is to the handle bar the easier it is on the shoulder. On long drives i just pack my back seat with something to happily lean on and carry a pillow as well.

I am getting an old bull and want to experiment with the handlebar for just comfort. Trying to get something that i can hold without stretching of straining my hands
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 21:01   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
Although the Thunderbird is called a cruiser, it does not have the traditional "feet forward" riding position associated with cruisers. It is very comfortable and does not cause back-aches etc, on long rides. I suggest you try one on a 100+km ride before you decide.
could not agree with rollin thunda more!! im about 6'2, medium built. at first, like you i didnt like the Tbird. but trust me, once you ride it, your mind will change.. i havent ridden the avenger, but cant imagine how much better in city the avenger will be, compared to the bird..
i remember how i disliked the Tbird, and how rollin thunda recommended me to take a TD, which fortunately enough i did, and my entire impression about the Tbird changed!! (thank you sir for the same, for if you had not posted that comment, would be just another commuter on a p220 ).

i recommend you to do the same before takng the plunge!!
bivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 22:01   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
I second and third this, from personal experience. Riding my Thunderbird is like sitting on a sofa - no stress/aches/pains despite continuous riding.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 10:28   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bivin View Post
i remember how i disliked the Tbird, and how rollin thunda recommended me to take a TD, which fortunately enough i did, and my entire impression about the Tbird changed!! (thank you sir for the same, for if you had not posted that comment, would be just another commuter on a p220 ).
@bivin You're welcome! Glad I could be of help.

@VW2010 The feet-forward position immediately puts a strain on your lower back, unless your seat offers a lot of back-support. The handle-bar postion could cause strain in the shoulder muscles, another bane of long-distance riding. Your experiments with handle-bars could help in reducing shoulder-ache.
Rollin' Thunda is offline   Reply With Quote