Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 8th June 2011, 11:01   #1
BHPian

Question Restoration: PULSAR 180 - Classic - 2002 model

I am looking forward to restore my Pulsar 180, Classic, Mar 2002 model, the first generation.. total budget is under 10K. Please help me with your suggestions on that. I am getting back to biking after ages so kinda off-track at the moment

Something About bike and its condition
I have been owning the bike for last 9+ years.. and it was used extensively for first 2 years, and then I bought my car and the usage of the bike were kinda limited for another 2 years.. For last 4-5 years it has hardly been used and lying in the parking.. Though the bike was being serviced occasionally and used some times by a friend of mine, so even today the bike is in running condition, and I have used that for small 5-10 KM rides in the last week. I feel that the fun factor is lost, the gear shift is not smooth, and the bike has developed some vibrations as well... Also felt that engine is heating more than it used to be earlier...

What I intend to do
However, I plan to use this on more regular basis now for another 2 years and then switch to something else. Usage will still be limited (approx 200-300 KM a month max..) and it will be mostly used for short distances (5-10 KMs), but bike will not be neglected as it was for past few years ..
I am planning to give it its due and looking for some major work on this. The work that I am intend to do and seeking suggestions are following. The first 5 seems to be a must to bring the bike back to road in a safe manner..

1. Front disk brake : Due to the bike standing for long time, the disk brake lube has dried up.. so need to change that. I have been told by one of the mechanics that I need to change the whole assembly (excluding the disk) and not just refill the oil and it costs 1.5K+ to do this.
Approx budget: 1.5K
Brand: ??
Should I go for the Bajaj recommended one or are their any other brands available in market ?
Any other thing that I need to ensure or check before I go for this job ?

2. Headlamp: Realized that the headlamp bulb is also not working and need a replacement.
Brand: ?? Suggestions ?
Wattage: ??

3. Battery: It seems the battery was changed by my friend last year, but as the bike was not being used, so it is not working anymore..as horn and self start are not responding.. I need to check if just a recharging is enough.. Lucky me in that case.. or I may have to change the battery as well.. It has an Exide battery at the moment.. If I have to go for a new one in worst case, what is recommended ?
Approx Budget: ??
Brand/Type: ??

4. REAR Tyre change: Both the Tyre are stock (9+ yrs old) and need an immediate change. Tyre still have the tread left, but the rubber seems to be cracking from some places.. definitely need to change these for the sake of safety and reliability. Now when I must change the Tyre, I am planning to go wider for better stability and braking.

My choice is: REAR 140/70 18 Tube Type.. no plan to change the rims as that would inflate the total cost. I am ready to go for minor modification, like cutting the chain cover slightly to fit 140 section.. however if this needs more changes, I will settle with 130/80 18 or even 120/80 18. I believe that should fit without any changes. Please suggest guys..

Approx budget: 2.5K
What brands/make would you suggest for rear (reasonably priced) ? I am inclined towards MRF Zapper Q but have not been able to check the price for that ? How is Micheline Sirec or TVS Srichakra ?

5. FRONT Tyre change: 90/90 18 or 3.0 18, again Tube Type only. Could someone please let me know where can I get any of these sizes, with neutral or front biased pattern in 18 inch ? I have not been able to find this so far that has a front biased pattern. I understand that this will make the steering a bit heavier, but I am comfortable with that.. as long as I find a decent Tyre in that size.. not many choices in 18 inch size....

Has anyone fit 90/90 18 and does it fit without any modification ? if any modification is required on the front fork, I will settle with 2.75 - 18 size only in that case. don't want to hamper with that .
Approx Budget: 2K

6. Chain/Sprocket: These are also stock.. I think these may also need a change. I will change only if essentially required to minimize the total budget.. and If I change to a new one, it will not be the stock size.. It will be biased towards a better acceleration and not the top speed. What is the stock size for sprockets for this model and what size should I go for front and rear sprocket now. Which brand is good and VFM and where do I find these in Pune. Approximate cost ?
Suggested Brand: ??
Suggested Size: ??

7. Seat: If Budget permits re-foaming of seat to make it more comfy.
Approx budget: 500 Rs ?

8. Misc parts and labor
approx budget: 2K

Please pour the ideas/suggestions, if you think this is not a feasible plan for a 10yr old bike ? or if there are some other alternatives to what I am thinking to do with the bike ?

TIA.
Cheers
mittal_v2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2011, 19:47   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Restoration: PULSAR 180 - Classic - 2002 model

1> Servicing the disc brake assembly could get it up and running again. Change the master cylinder kit (200 bux appr) service the callipers and replace the rubber parts at the calliper end (60 bux appr) brake pads (120 bux) and brake oil. This should do the trick.

2> A stock bulb ie 35/35 watt of Halonix or Philips brand. If you want to install a slightly higher wattage (55/60) youll have to change the coil plate to that of the avenger (700 bux appr) for better illumination.

3> Get the battery water level checked first and have it recharged. Also get the Rectifier unit checked and replaced if necessary. If battery needs replacement id recommend Amaron battery ie 9 Amp (1500 bux appr).

4> Stick to 120/80/18. Anything more is an overkill.

5> Again stick to the stock size.

6> Go in for genuine bajaj spares. The Ug3 pulsars chain sprocket is a direct fit.

7> Can be done
Ripper is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 01:00   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittal_v2002 View Post

1. Front disk brake :
Should I go for the Bajaj recommended one or are their any other brands available in market ?

Go for endurance. they are the oe supplier for bajaj and is a group company. cheaper than bajaj and same quality. better even some times.

3. Battery: It seems the battery was changed by my friend last year, but as the bike was not being used, so it is not working anymore..as horn and self start are not responding.. I need to check if just a recharging is enough.. Lucky me in that case.. or I may have to change the battery as well.. It has an Exide battery at the moment.. If I have to go for a new one in worst case, what is recommended ?
Brand/Type: ??

most leading brands in the lead acid segment are made in the same factory in taiwan. performance will be similar. inside info no one will admit is but is true.

4. REAR Tyre change: Both the Tyre are stock (9+ yrs old) and need an immediate change. Tyre still have the tread left, but the rubber seems to be cracking from some places.. definitely need to change these for the sake of safety and reliability. Now when I must change the Tyre, I am planning to go wider for better stability and braking.

My choice is: REAR 140/70 18 Tube Type.. no plan to change the rims as that would inflate the total cost. I am ready to go for minor modification, like cutting the chain cover slightly to fit 140 section.. however if this needs more changes, I will settle with 130/80 18 or even 120/80 18. I believe that should fit without any changes. Please suggest guys..

Approx budget: 2.5K
What brands/make would you suggest for rear (reasonably priced) ? I am inclined towards MRF Zapper Q but have not been able to check the price for that ? How is Micheline Sirec or TVS Srichakra ?

I dont think the michelin sirec has that size yet. from what i heard they are waiting for their new factory in TN to make over size tyres in india. their tyres are currently made in an indian brands factory. that size was not in production at TVS srichakra the last time i checked. you will get the jumbo tread pattern in that size which is a capable tyre.

5. FRONT Tyre change: 90/90 18 or 3.0 18, again Tube Type only. Could someone please let me know where can I get any of these sizes, with neutral or front biased pattern in 18 inch ? I have not been able to find this so far that has a front biased pattern. I understand that this will make the steering a bit heavier, but I am comfortable with that.. as long as I find a decent Tyre in that size.. not many choices in 18 inch size....

Has anyone fit 90/90 18 and does it fit without any modification ? if any modification is required on the front fork, I will settle with 2.75 - 18 size only in that case. don't want to hamper with that .
Approx Budget: 2K

you should be able to get a michelin front in 275X18. the 90/90x18 should be similar to a 275x18 practically.

Please pour the ideas/suggestions, if you think this is not a feasible plan for a 10yr old bike ? or if there are some other alternatives to what I am thinking to do with the bike ?

TIA.
Cheers
answers for what i know inline in bold and italics. the original pulsar is a sweet ride. i have several friends that maintain it as their primary ride. endurance will not make many parts for the older models but where they do try to stick to them.
JagMan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 21:05   #4
BHPian

i suppose i forgot to mention that i was also rooting for a 120/80X18 for the rear if the standard 100/90x18 doesnt suffice. larger sizes will really be overkill.
JagMan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 16:04   #5
BHPian

Thanks Ripper, Jagman for your inputs.. these will be very helpful in getting the bike in shape ...

I actually stopped tracking this thread as there was no reply for 3 months :-)...

BTW, the restoration project has taken a back seat for sometime.. not abandoned though... the current situation is

1. Front disk brake : Got this done at Bajaj service centre.. total cost ~600/-

2. Headlamp: Got a new Osram bulb.. stock wattage.. 60/-

3. Battery: Will get Amaron SMF battery next time bike goes out of house :-) cost 1700/-

4. REAR Tyre change: postponed for some time but will be 100/90 or 110/90 now..

5. FRONT Tyre change: postponed for now. will be stock size only

6. Chain/Sprocket: Got this checked and service guys says it is fine to keep the existing set..

7. Seat: Cancelled..

8. Misc parts and labor
mittal_v2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 13:21   #6

Dear All

I have a Pulsar 180 dtsi our purchased in 2010.

It was running in excellent condition for the first three years but now due to certain unavoidable circumstances I have not been able to use it for a span of almost 2 yrs. It has been sitting idle in my compound for as much time.

I took it today to the mechanic and on initial inspection it had a shocking 5-6 litres of rust colored water in the tank. The first task that he is to undertake is to wash the tank, carburetor and filters with pressurized water, clean and replace oil and change the battery.

Can you please help me with tips or caveat in restoring it to stock condition?

Thanks in advance for your time.
amin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 14:59   #7
BHPian

Dear Amin,
Now that you have gotten rust inside your tank, no amount of washing is going to take that away. The problem will keep recurring as the petrol we use has ethanol mixed in it to the tune of 5-10%, this gradually traps moisture which seperates out and remains as water in tank. Also, the drainage hole below the fuel filler cap may be blocked causing rainwater or wash water to get inside the tank creating rust which in turn will play havoc with your carburettor. You better get some antirust treatment done, if it is available for bike tanks else the best way is to replace the tank itself.
As for the rest changing the oil, battery, air filter, brake fluid along with service of brake assembly should suffice. Any electrical niggles may require additional attention ranging from cleaning of terminals to service of involved part.
Also please check the accelerator and clutch cables for free movement, if found tight or sticky better replace. And lastly get the front forks serviced.
Wish you happy biking.
Enjoy
Cool_leo_guy
Cool_leo_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 22:33   #8
BHPian

Quote:
It seems the battery was changed by my friend last year
Check if your friend can find the warranty card. Most batteries come with 2+ years warranty these days, it'll help you in case of replacement. Why spend 1700/- when it can be done for less?

EDIT: Also, please.. avoid.. typing like this.... As for the smileys, you can use the ones that are available instead of :-) Cheers.

Last edited by VR/46_Chet : 16th February 2017 at 22:36.
VR/46_Chet is offline   Reply With Quote