Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

View Poll Results: Do you think this campaign would be successful?
Yes 29 64.44%
No 11 24.44%
Maybe 5 11.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th June 2016, 22:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Kerala: No petrol for two-wheeler riders without helmet

Whoa, first

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3958294 (Kerala: ISI-approved Helmets to come free with two-wheelers)

and now this.

Kerala really seems to be at it; good going!
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 22:48   #17
BHPian

This might be an off topic but i cant help but comment on it.
No matter how many rules and restrictions government imposes, the attitude of Indian motorists is not going to change. Everyone knows of someone who got killed in a road accident due to head injury but still they don't care. Most of the time the helmet is hanging on the rear view mirror and the rider wears it as soon he or she spots a policeman. The safety rules and regulations are made for the safety of motorists and this simple logic never registers. My cousin brother's school has started a very good cause of providing helmets free of cost to the parents who submit a xerox copy of their bike's RC book and license.
Akib Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 08:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: Kerala: No petrol for two-wheeler riders without helmet

I fail to get whats the connection between helmets and petrol. What will stop the riders from wearing the helmets once they approach the bunks and after filling up they drive without the helmets. Unless the discipline of wearing helmets come from within, all such rules can be easily thrown to the wind.

The only solution I can see is that the 2 wheelers need to be built in such a way that unless rider puts on the helmet the 2 wheeler wont start and if anyone removes the helmet during riding, 2 wheeler should automatically switch off.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 08:56   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

A good one from Transport Commissioner ! He was able to get support from 4 oil companies for this. I only hope that people dont get into fight with attenders at pumps coz of this.

And, I hope they ensure that one should wear the right helmet size of his/her head and those construction worker style ones helmets etc should also be banned.

And, we should start awareness sessions at schools so that kids ensure that their parents wear one ( and the right one since not all stuff come in rubber) and they being the future citizen will grow learning road safety from younger age.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 09:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I fail to get whats the connection between helmets and petrol.
You absolutely aren't amused by this ruling Kerala ruling, are you?

Let's take a reality check: how many people in India wear helmet because they want to wear them? 1%? Maximum 10%? The majority wear them out of fear of fines by cops.

Similarly, if refusal to petrol by pumps can get people to wear helmets, why not?!

Let's not take this debate OT again please.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 10:03   #21
BHPian

Already people are talking about an unholy nexus between the transport commissioner and helmet companies! Some people, i swear!

Still don't get why we have to be forced to wear helmets or seat belts. It should be an obvious choice by self to do that yes? Such a trivial thing and we need to be told like small children to do it.

Prepared to see news about non helmet dudes roughing up petrol bunk dudes for refusing to fill fuel :(
deathwalkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 10:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

Still don't get why we have to be forced to wear helmets or seat belts. It should be an obvious choice by self to do that yes? Such a trivial thing and we need to be told like small children to do it.

While I advocate helmet usage, I think the choice must be left with the end users regarding helmet usage. If they are sensible enough to drive a two wheeler, they are competent enough to choose if they should wear one.
blackwasp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 11:36   #23
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: No Helmet, No fuel in Srinagar. EDIT: Now Odisha and Kerala too

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
While I advocate helmet usage, I think the choice must be left with the end users regarding helmet usage. If they are sensible enough to drive a two wheeler, they are competent enough to choose if they should wear one.
NO, Helmets must always be mandatory when riding a two wheeler.

If people are sensible enough then they understand why the rule stands and have no qualms in following it. If they do not have the sense, well wear one nonetheless because it is the LAW.

Because it is simply not just about the safety of ones own skull. Families, Trauma wards, civic authorities, public, other road users all suffer the consequences of a riders stupidity. A death or serious injury serves absolutely no good purpose to the people around us.

I am happy you advocate helmet usage.
shortbread is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 17:10   #24
BHPian

It's quite normal to see people riding about with helmets perched on their handlebars or atop their tanks. The reason that a lot of motorcyle and scooter riders have become helmet, um, lovers is that they need to put it on whenever they reach an area that might have police presence. This of course is a more convenient position as opposed to just leaving it dangling by the pillion grab handle or saree guard.

While I do think that this will make people wear helmets while riding into a fuel station, they will just wear it momentarily as cited above. Public awareness about safety is next to nil in most parts of our country. That said, the usage of helmets in Kerala (momentarily or otherwise) is relatively higher than some parts.

I should applaud this ruling but what about the enforcement and the potential incidents that most certainly will arise from it? So I guess I will have to hold onto my pessimism for a little bit longer. At least till we can say that this has truly changed the mindset of two wheeler users across the country.
coloneljasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 17:30   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember that in 1979 I spent a month in the summer in BARC. Simple rule - you could not enter the inner campus on your two wheeler without a helmet. You were forced to leave the two wheeler at the security gate and take a bus or walk!

It was 100% effective.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 18:51   #26
BHPian

Its ironical to see that something for our own safety needs to be forced down our throat and doesnt come to us habitually/naturally. While this might force people to wear helmets while they just get into the pump, I am really not sure how many will actually keep wearing the helmet once they finish refilling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I remember that in 1979 I spent a month in the summer in BARC. Simple rule - you could not enter the inner campus on your two wheeler without a helmet. You were forced to leave the two wheeler at the security gate and take a bus or walk!

It was 100% effective.
This is still practiced in our offices. In one of our offices ( a shared space with other companies) if you dont wear a helmet, you need to pay for parking your vehicle in the premises. All other premises dont allow entry without a helmet
centaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 19:32   #27
BHPian

Just recollected a statement which I had read somewhere - We are more keen on putting a scratchguard on our already scratchproof mobile screens, but dont want to put a helmet on our breakable heads
centaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 19:34   #28
BHPian

Am back in Bangalore after spending few days earlier this week in Amsterdam. Observed surprisingly large number of scooters on the roads there, and most people were travelling WITHOUT helmets. So obviously not mandatory there.
Also speaking to taxi-drivers, I understand that when there are passengers in taxis, the driver does not need to/ is advised not to put on seat-belts (due to incidents of drivers getting strangulated by seat-belt).
What do you think, are "developed" countries moving the other way?
manij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 11:57   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I dont think it's implemented yet. When my friend bought a Unicorn a few days back, the dealers (Muthoot Honda) made him sign a form saying that they gave him a helmet, while they actually didn't. They told him since he already has one, theres no need for another and this form is just for some legal purposes.
GeneralJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 00:14   #30
BHPian

Talk about a classic rip-off.

When he bought the Unicorn, somewhere in that list of fees I would bet he also bought a helmet.
The paper may be legitimate, but by signing a paper that said he received his helmet without actually getting one, there is no way he can force the dealer to deliver it now without a battle in court.

One should NEVER sign any paper that says they have received something until after they actually get it in their possession.
The old, "Check is in the mail." routine will bite them 9 times out of 10.
ArizonaJim is online now   Reply With Quote