Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 23:56   #1
BHPian
 
Acclero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 127
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Engine Oil for an Enfield

I have seen some body say that "AN ENFIELD DOESN'T LEAK IT MARKS ITS TERRITORY " well it is true and that brings me up on to my query.

I have been using the Motul grade engine oil for my bike from a long time until recently a friend of mine suggested if Synthetic oil could be used for enfield,
Particularly the MOBIL1's 0W-40 grade.
Attached Images
 
Acclero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 14:26   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PB03, HR26, DL**
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 172 Times
Default Re: Engine Oil for an Enfield

A very learned man told me that "Ghode ko ghas khilate hain Biryani nahi" and this man is a known name in Bullet community. i had same query to him.
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 00:05   #3
BHPian
 
Leepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maharashtra
Posts: 366
Thanked: 70 Times
Default Re: Engine Oil for an Enfield

I shifted to Mobil nearly three months ago. Now my 78 Bull's engine doesn't heat up while riding through neck-to-neck traffic. Strange noises have also stopped eminating from the engine. But it is expensive!!!
Leepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 09:55   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,294
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Engine Oil for an Enfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
A very learned man told me that "Ghode ko ghas khilate hain Biryani nahi" and this man is a known name in Bullet community. i had same query to him.
Well said My thoughts around is how can aged engine cope up with new technology? Currently for my RD, Semi synthetic oil is being used which is slightly better than regular mineral oil.
Slightly Better in the sense of cold engine running, Clutch doesn't jerk when you engage it on a cold morning.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 10:31   #5
Team-BHP Support
 
theMAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,050
Thanked: 1,493 Times
Default Re: Engine Oil for an Enfield

For the UCEs, care to be taken when switching to non-OEM oils, since the UCEs have a wet clutch.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 09:16   #6
BHPian
 
Acclero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 127
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Engine Oil for an Enfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
I shifted to Mobil nearly three months ago. Now my 78 Bull's engine doesn't heat up while riding through neck-to-neck traffic. Strange noises have also stopped eminating from the engine. But it is expensive!!!
Which grade of mobil did you use leepower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Well said My thoughts around is how can aged engine cope up with new technology? Currently for my RD, Semi synthetic oil is being used which is slightly better than regular mineral oil.
Slightly Better in the sense of cold engine running, Clutch doesn't jerk when you engage it on a cold morning.
I have checked the site and they seem to state that there is a slightly Lesser grade Oil which can be used in RE's though they didnt mention the older ones or the newer ones. Honestly does it make such a difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
A very learned man told me that "Ghode ko ghas khilate hain Biryani nahi" and this man is a known name in Bullet community. i had same query to him.
Desideep any other suggestions!
Acclero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 10:28   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,294
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Engine Oil for an Enfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acclero View Post
I have checked the site and they seem to state that there is a slightly Lesser grade Oil which can be used in RE's though they didnt mention the older ones or the newer ones. Honestly does it make such a difference?
Would make a marginal difference especially when its a cold engine. Once when the engine is warmed all Oils perform more or less at the same competitive levels. At the same time if you use a higher grade oil your clutch would tend to drag. Havent experimented myself except for sticking to the one that has been suggested for a RD. (10w30 or 10w40)
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 13:05   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PB03, HR26, DL**
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 172 Times
Default Re: Engine Oil for an Enfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acclero View Post
Which grade of mobil did you use leepower?



I have checked the site and they seem to state that there is a slightly Lesser grade Oil which can be used in RE's though they didnt mention the older ones or the newer ones. Honestly does it make such a difference?



Desideep any other suggestions!
i Have been using Veedol Turbostar and Castrol magnatec for many years now. and i think that Castrol is good. but it is just a little expensive comparred to Veedol. but i have noticed that the key is the oil change time. i have been doing it after 3000 KMS for last 12000 KMs. because i have ran the bike that much after i modded the engine with a better oil pump. and prior to that when the bike was a standard i used to change it ever 2000 kms.
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engine Oil Change : Paid Service vs Buying Oil yourself vs Full DIY neosmart Technical Stuff 77 29th June 2017 11:16
What happens to the engine oil when the Oil cap and/or dipstick is opened? D.V.R Technical Stuff 29 19th September 2016 17:35


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks