Old 5th November 2012, 09:00   #287
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Honda CBR 250R Review

This happened yesterday

aargee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 10:43   #288
Senior - BHPian

At this rate, I think you will overtake my bike's odo in another six months!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 11:37   #289
BHPian

AARGEE:

Bro, I just read your old post about the piston seizure and I am pretty sure that your "running in" of the engine is at fault. No offence, but you are mixing up miles ridden with actual running in.

I am giving below an article which is the gospel truth about running in (by B. R. Gurunandan.)

An Excerpt:
Don't exceed 50Kmph for the first 1000Km. (OK, 3000 if you feel better that way) Then with engine warmed at 50Kmph, go to 60 and hold it for not more than half a minute. Do not repeat for at least 10 minutes (You can guess why, right ?) Repeat this process atleast 5 times before proceeding to next step, which is the same but holding time is one minute. Then repeat for 2min, 5min, 10min. This may have taken several days or weeks! Repeat this for 75, 95 and then 120 Kmph.

Do you see the cause of your seizure? Constantly running at a certain RPM.
http://www.cybersteering.com/cruise/...t/running.html
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 11:59   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
At this rate, I think you will overtake my bike's odo in another six months!
Hehe...lolz...No Sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
I am pretty sure that your "running in" of the engine is at fault
Is it? How do you say so? Did you get any proofs from the pics? Pls share with us, it will be of immense help.

Quote:
I am giving below...several days or weeks! Repeat this for 75, 95 and then 120 Kmph
I'm wondering if this is universal truth; reason to say is because, how come Mr Gurunandan knew how to run-in for Honda CBR 250R than the Honda engineers themselves. He should be quite a brilliant guy No offense to the Author though
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 12:16   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

Is it? How do you say so? Did you get any proofs from the pics? Pls share with us, it will be of immense help.

I'm wondering if this is universal truth; reason to say is because, how come Mr Gurunandan knew how to run-in for Honda CBR 250R than the Honda engineers themselves. He should be quite a brilliant guy No offense to the Author though
Just read the article and see what it says. The process of running in is not rocket science, just imagine a potter making a clay pot and how he shapes it. I am positive that Honda would not ask you to run it in the way you did.

I commented on your experience not to hurt your feelings, but so that others can save their engines after reading Mr.Gurunandan's article. By the way, I've seized my 535's engine too, much before I read this article

Last edited by bblost : 5th November 2012 at 12:17. Reason: fixed quote tags.
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 12:33   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This happened yesterday
Awesome stuff aargee! And here I was posting up about 10000 kms in 13 months
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 14:12   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am positive that Honda would not ask you to run it in the way you did
John, pls tell me what this means...

"Ride carefully for first 1000 Km; do not accelerate suddenly during this period"

Quote:
I commented on your experience not to hurt your feelings
Absolutely I'm not hurted on my feelings; I'm only discussing because, I learned how to get this done on my second engine thoroughly.

Quote:
By the way, I've seized my 535's engine too, much before I read this article
I have seized my Rx's engine several times before (in last 10+ years) & have run in atleast 3 times before seizing the CBR's 4 joke engine.

I do not know who Mr Gurunandan, but, RE's (or even Kawi's) engine is not the same as CBR 250R's. I frankly don't think one theory of run-in fits with all the motorcycles produced in the entire world + I strongly believe the TEAM in Honda knows much more than a single brain...especially these days.

Anyway, my question to you still remains unanswered "How do you say running in" of the engine is at fault? Did you get any proofs from the pics? Pls share with us, it will be of immense help"

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Awesome stuff aargee! And here I was posting up about 10000 kms in 13 months
Cool; have you posted the pic on your ownership thread? Every time I touch my CBR, it gives me pleasure, every time I sit on my CBR, it simply brings me smile; every time I ride, it brings me smile

Last edited by aargee : 5th November 2012 at 14:14.
Old 7th November 2012, 15:14   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cool; have you posted the pic on your ownership thread? Every time I touch my CBR, it gives me pleasure, every time I sit on my CBR, it simply brings me smile; every time I ride, it brings me smile
No, I'd posted it on Sheel's thread -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2946031

Totally agree with your last line - the CBR 250R brings a smile every time I ride.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 08:06   #295
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Naveen Keep riding, it never ceases to put smile on your face
Old 8th November 2012, 09:13   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not know who Mr Gurunandan, but, RE's (or even Kawi's) engine is not the same as CBR 250R's. I frankly don't think one theory of run-in fits with all the motorcycles produced in the entire world + I strongly believe the TEAM in Honda knows much more than a single brain...especially these days.
Its a simple guide which is mostly applicable to any engine. If Honda says a specific run in procedure and the engine goes kaput post this procedure, they better honor the warranty and replace.

The other side of the story where you cannot prove if you run in as per Honda and they cannot prove you thrashed the engine makes the situation dicey. They can either say you didnt follow the procedure and i am not sure how one can prove or disprove that.

Gurunandans guide can be taken with a pinch of salt for all vehicles. The science is something believable. Gradually letting the metal expand and contract. The design of the bore and piston and how it transmits power cannot be hugely different.

The variables here include liquid cooled engine which has another reason to fail if the cooling system goes kaput. Unlike RE which in my terms are simple, no nonsense design engines the modern bike adds few variables.

There is no correct run-in procedure as Aargee said. But there is also some science behing gurunandthan that do help.

To me i would just stick to varying RPM than constant RPM. That helps to settle the engine down (again personal decision rather than scientific research).
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 11:31   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
If Honda says a specific run in procedure and the engine goes kaput post this procedure, they better honor the warranty and replace
Which is what HMSI did; instead of just cylinder piston kit, they replaced the entire engine block

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Gurunandans guide can be taken with a pinch of salt for all vehicles
Not just Mr Gurunanddan, but any articles floating documented by the reputed experts in their respective fields
Old 24th November 2012, 18:45   #298
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone got a call from Honda ASC & took your bike for the recall? I got mine done today. Here's a small writeup as what one can expect...

Q - What're the parts that are replaced?
- The Master cylinder
- The piston that goes inside (spring, dust cover & the pushrod)
- 100 ml Dot 3 brake oil

Q - Why are they getting replaced?
- It looks like Honda received several complaints that the front brake gets jammed up & they've identified the issue with this kit & hence the replacement

Q - How long does this process take?
- The actual job doesn't take more than 30 minutes if done dedicated

Q - What does this job involved?
- Remove the front brake lever
- Remove the piston kit
- Remove the master cylinder from the connecting hose
- Attach the new master cylinder to the connecting hose
- Attach the piston kit between the brake lever & the master cylinder & tighten
- Bleed the drain bolt at the end of caliper kit & remove the airlock in the brake unit using the provided 100 ml DOT3 brake oil

Q - Can I experience a significant improvement in the braking?
- It's more of personal experience. I didn't experience anything better.

Q - Do I need to return my old parts?
- Yes, the old parts has to be returned

Q - Do they open a job card for this?
- Yes, it's mandatory to open a job card for this?

Q - Any other precautions to be taken?
- Do not allow the ASC to fill any other DOT3 brake oil from any other can. Use the DOT3 fluid from the can is provided along with the recall kit
- Call up & book an appointment with the ASC before you visit, otherwise you may be denied to get the work done immediately
- Ensure that the airlock is completely bleeded from the entire front brake assembly otherwise you're likely to experience sponginess in your braking. Take a short spin around & check the effectiveness of your front brake. Worst case, it has to be of the same stage before changing this M/C kit
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 12:04   #299
Senior - BHPian

Happened 2 days ago...
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 14:29   #300
BHPian

I just spent a good two hours reading this entire thread, with a detour to xbhp to follow your fourteen-day-ride thread as well.
I'm just blown away by your ride, and your experience so far! I currently ride a Pulsar-150 and I'm planning to upgrade to a C250R soon. I'll be hoping to try and pick your brain before I finalise and get the bike.
I'm actually very happy with my P150 right now, and it has let me tour quite a bit with no issues. The longest I've taken it is from Pune to Payyanur in Kerala. But I guess there always comes a time to move on to bigger (and much better!) things, and that time is soon approaching for me
I'm going to stick to this thread like a leech!
kaushik60 is offline   Reply With Quote