Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 22nd February 2015, 03:35   #466
BHPian

Default Re: Honda CBR 250R Review

sid1509

The first thing I would check is to see if the engines spark plug is firing.

I would remove a spark plug. Then, reconnect the wire to the removed plug and rest its metal body against some part of the engine. This needs to be done with the spark plug in a position that allows a good view of the spark plug tip.

Turning on the ignition I would then crank the engine a few times, looking at the spark plug electrode to see if it was sparking.

If I saw a good spark I would know the problem must be fuel related.

If there was no spark I would know the problem was ignition related.

If it was ignition related I would make super sure the "Kill" switch was in the "RUN" position.

Then I would check all of the fuses to see if any of them were "blown out". It also is a good idea to remove the fuses and then to re-install them. Sometimes corrosion can occur on their connectors and prevent the proper flow of electricity.

If I had a volt/ohm multimeter available I would check each fuse to make sure it was good.
I've seen some fuses that looked good but the little wire inside them had broken so, although it looked good, it was defective.

If the problem was fuel related my first check would be to verify the fuel tap was open and fuel was flowing. This assumes the valve is a manual type.
If this was all right, my next guess would be that some water had settled in the carburetor float chamber.

Removing the float bowl or opening the drain plug if the carburetor had one would allow me to remove any water or other sediment that was possibly causing the problem.

If water was found in the float bowl chamber, the fuel tank would need to be removed and the contaminated fuel dumped in a suitable, safe place.
Refilling the tank should prevent a return of the problem.

Good luck.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2015, 12:49   #467
Distinguished - BHPian

Sid, either get a mechanic from an ASC come to your home or a reliable, competent independent mechanic give it a through check.

To me, it appears something wrong with the starter motor, as everything works but the starter isn't cranking it up. Try cranking with clutch-in. And check the fuses. No warning lamps?
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 02:13   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
sid1509

The first thing I would check is to see if the engines spark plug is firing.

I would remove a spark plug. Then, reconnect the wire to the removed plug and rest its metal body against some part of the engine. This needs to be done with the spark plug in a position that allows a good view of the spark plug tip.

Turning on the ignition I would then crank the engine a few times, looking at the spark plug electrode to see if it was sparking.

If I saw a good spark I would know the problem must be fuel related.

If there was no spark I would know the problem was ignition related.

If it was ignition related I would make super sure the "Kill" switch was in the "RUN" position.

Then I would check all of the fuses to see if any of them were "blown out". It also is a good idea to remove the fuses and then to re-install them. Sometimes corrosion can occur on their connectors and prevent the proper flow of electricity.

If I had a volt/ohm multimeter available I would check each fuse to make sure it was good.

I've seen some fuses that looked good but the little wire inside them had broken so, although it looked good, it was defective.

If the problem was fuel related my first check would be to verify the fuel tap was open and fuel was flowing. This assumes the valve is a manual type.

If this was all right, my next guess would be that some water had settled in the carburetor float chamber.

Removing the float bowl or opening the drain plug if the carburetor had one would allow me to remove any water or other sediment that was possibly causing the problem.

If water was found in the float bowl chamber, the fuel tank would need to be removed and the contaminated fuel dumped in a suitable, safe place.

Refilling the tank should prevent a return of the problem.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Sid, either get a mechanic from an ASC come to your home or a reliable, competent independent mechanic give it a through check.

To me, it appears something wrong with the starter motor, as everything works but the starter isn't cranking it up. Try cranking with clutch-in. And check the fuses. No warning lamps?

Thank you arizonajim, sheel.

I had to travel out of town due to a personal exigency. I am back home on Tuesday hopefully. Will try what arizonajim suggested. No warning lamps.

Appreciate everyone's help here. I know I am in good company here. A little relieved I must say.

Big thanks,
Sid

Will share an update once I am back home in peace.
sid1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 09:51   #469
Distinguished - BHPian

Sid, ArizonaJim's message has covered things in detail, but that is specific for a carburetor equipped bike while I think, all CBR 250R's are fuel injected ones. So, please do take that in equation.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 11:29   #470
Senior - BHPian

One of my long term review has been compiled & posted here - http://motohive.in/bike-encyclopedia...ership-review/
aargee is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 11:46   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
One of my long term review has been compiled & posted here - http://motohive.in/bike-encyclopedia...ership-review/
Loved it. Very crisp and to the point review
Chida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 13:01   #472
Senior - BHPian

Guys, many of the CBR 250Rs have this issue of the console lights blinking or going off altogether. How did you fix it? When I spoke to the ASC, they just wash their hands off saying they can do nothing about it!
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 19:32   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Guys, many of the CBR 250Rs have this issue of the console lights blinking or going off altogether. How did you fix it? When I spoke to the ASC, they just wash their hands off saying they can do nothing about it!
I have the same problem. My console lights have also started behaving funny. The left side one blinks on and off whereas the right side one has gone completely off.
Hells_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 20:39   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chida View Post
Loved it. Very crisp and to the point review
Thank you sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Guys, many of the CBR 250Rs...can do nothing about it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
I have the same problem...right side one has gone completely off.
Pls check if this could be put to some help for you guys - http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/motorcyc...ml#post1135682

Tip - Catch hold of the CBR technician to work outside the ASC for you. They do it all the time, just that they don't admit it unless they trust us.
aargee is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2015, 20:29   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pls check if this could be put to some help for you guys - http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/motorcyc...ml#post1135682

Tip - Catch hold of the CBR technician to work outside the ASC for you. They do it all the time, just that they don't admit it unless they trust us.
Thanks, guess he was referring to the video -

I am planning to get this sometime soon. Probably next weekend.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 22:28   #476
Senior - BHPian

Awesome thread! Am contemplating a user 250R (with ABS) and the 200AS has made me wonder whether getting a new bike at the same price is smarter.

How good is the fairing on the CBR wrt reducing fatigue on long rides.I've done lots of rides on the older P180 1st gen and later the Avenger - never tried one with a fairing. And I can now cut through traffic on the terrible Avy, so that's not a worry, really
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 09:48   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
How good is the fairing on the CBR wrt reducing fatigue on long rides
Talking about fatigue, I was hit by fatigue twice...
1. After doing 4494 Km from Madras to Bombay to Delhi to Kolkatta to Bhadrak & having slept barely for 4 hours due to circumstances, fatigue slowed me down all the way from Rambha to Vizag
2. After a sound sleep on previous night, I started around 6:00 AM from Dholavira, I could not control my fatigue while crossing Pune around 1:00 AM & hence pulled over at a fuel station to sleep

So from my little experience, I think fatigue depends on the rider & not on the fairing
aargee is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 11:01   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Ok, I purchased LEDs based on the comments on the console. However, the seller says these might be 3528 RGB? Any electronics guys here? Can you tell me the right model number of these LEDs in the video?
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 17:41   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I click it says the link does not exist. Could you please check and let me know?
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 18:19   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So from my little experience, I think fatigue depends on the rider & not on the fairing
Thanks! So, in that respect, not that much between the 200NS (or the new RS) and the 250R for longer rides?
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote