Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2015, 11:48   #496
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,747 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
May I suggest you to give a try with Osram Nightbreaker+ H4; I switched from the stock about 6-7 months ago to this & found this to be slightly better in terms of throw as well as in luminosity. Since I'm a stock lover, I had to compromise on this bulb without affecting the reliability, otherwise there're plenty of other options.
My 2 cents, if I may:

Osram NB+ bulbs are good and offer better visibility than the stock bulbs but these bulbs are prone to failure. I had them in my car and both headlight bulbs went bust in less than a year. Another issue is that these bulbs are almost white so riding in the wet can be an issue.

As an alternative, if I may, I would like to suggest the Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs. These are brighter than stock and have a tinge of yellow in the beam so wet weather riding isn't an issue. Plus they last quite long as well.

Last I heard, these are no longer made so the alternative is the Ring Ultima bulbs which are as good as (if not better) than the Xtreme Visions.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 19:19   #497
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Osram NB+ bulbs are good and offer better visibility than the stock bulbs but these bulbs are prone to failure. I had them in my car and both headlight bulbs went bust in less than a year. Another issue is that these bulbs are almost white so riding in the wet can be an issue.

As an alternative, if I may, I would like to suggest the Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs. These are brighter than stock and have a tinge of yellow in the beam so wet weather riding isn't an issue. Plus they last quite long as well.
Hey Adi, if it were not you, then this entire thread wouldn't be here in TBhp, so, Thank you for posting your comments

Well, Philips XTreme vision is a superb bulb no doubt; I had this used on my Rx & the throw was awesome. So I used it on my CBR (some 1.5-2 years ago) & found that the low beam became pathetic & the high beam had a wonderful throw. The brightness was kind of OK (I feel that now since I'm using Osram Nightbreaker+) but better than the stock (Stock bulb has excellent low beam & pathetic high beam)

So based on that experience, I wanted to try Osram Nightbreaker+ & I've been using it for < 1 year now & the brightness is near to white. Yes near to white, but not full white, there's a minute tinge of yellow (or blue not sure). This one has a superb high beam as well as low beam & the visibility is certainly not poor in rain or foggy weather.

PS - Time to catch up Adi, hope you're still in Bangalore
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 22:30   #498
Senior - BHPian
 
zenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R Review

Does the bike sound like a bunch of bongo players trying to tune/play out of tune, flat instruments till it gets to some decent revs? It's not worrying because I read some stuff about this - but wanted to check anyway. Also, what's a good place around Koramangala to get it serviced? Both Honda A.S.S. and otherwise.
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2015, 09:32   #499
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Does the bike sound like a bunch of bongo players trying to tune/play out of tune, flat instruments till it gets to some decent revs?
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Also, what's a good place around Koramangala to get it serviced? Both Honda A.S.S. and otherwise.
Pls give me sometime to figure it out; I think Sapphire Honda has got some good reviews & I'll have to find out which one in Koramangala is good. But I always prefer going back to JSP Honda, Aminjikarai as they do a wonderful job & Rajesh is the best & sensible guy to service CPR
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2015, 11:11   #500
BHPian
 
Added_flavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 614
Thanked: 735 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Also, what's a good place around Koramangala to get it serviced? Both Honda A.S.S. and otherwise.
Sapphire Honda, JP Nagar has good reviews. Zeeshan there is quite good. However Karthik at Tansi Honda, Varthur is the best available in Bangalore.
Also, I suggest you join the Bangalore CBR riders group on FB. It's very resourceful and informative.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2015, 14:51   #501
Senior - BHPian
 
zenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R Review

Thanks! Varthur is a quick ride away. I've requested membership on the FB group - look forward to interacting with folks there.

BTW, this bike's a major in-town-gaps-filler! Does it effortlessly.
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2015, 18:03   #502
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R Review

Posting what I shared on the other BHP forum; but I realize this is common for all modern tech motorcycle (or even cars) owners...

Quote:
Just an observation that has come to my notice...
Few folks get their CPRs serviced at their own convenience at their own garage (not even ASC) & all of a sudden when they hit issues, they run to ASC to fix them. Which is OK, but then, they don't disclose the service history which is not recorded properly but they expect the mechanic at the ASC to find out how the issue occurred.

Now there's an important point to be mentioned here especially when it comes to getting it serviced at non competitive independent garages vs ASC. The independent garages are very less likely to have some of the special tools that are required to fit back (as anyone knows removing the parts are easy) & they use short cuts which causes a slight bent in the clamps & even the bolts, which often leads to over or under tightening. These minor issues often lead to major catastrophe at a later stage especially when all of us don't know what amount of tightening or gaps are required between each of the parts.

Worse than ASC, the independent incompetent garages don't take blame for such shoddy work & since its impossible to keep checking each & every nut/bolt after servicing also makes it difficult to point fingers at them & even if we do so, they give a sheepy smile saying, "swalpa adjust maadi"!!

So my point is that, try to stick with a single ASC who is competitive enough & make them understand the importance of having a properly maintained motorcycle (and prove it to them each time by keeping it one step ahead cleaner, better & respecting) for you. Thus they understand your seriousness & its also possible to get the history of maintenance which will also help you determine what part has been changed when & helps to trace down any minor mistakes. Being a long time loyal customer also earns your a good reputation with ASC & they'll also be willing to help you at distress & may even go out of the way to help you.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015, 13:11   #503
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,428
Thanked: 878 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R Review

I am always uncomfortable with "one tool fits all brands" type of independent workshops, be it for car or bike. Ask a mechanic from the workshops (or even the ownser) "what is a torque wrench?" and if they answer correctly, I will be stunned!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015, 20:18   #504
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Ask a mechanic from the workshops (or even the ownser) "what is a torque wrench?" and if they answer correctly, I will be stunned!
"Saar...torque wrench is all required for people who don't know anything, I've experience & I know how much the nut has to be tightened"

That is what I've been hearing so far...sorry to say, that includes the mechanic even from the ASC!! I've seen torque wrench being used only in US of A (may be other countries, but I haven't been there)

Anyway, my comment is based upon real time incident that I came across last week. Worse thing being, the CPR owner who left the bike at ASC wanted to know why the issue occurred. His CPR was always serviced at neighborhood mechanic friend & this is the first time his CPR is seeing an ASC & he was expecting the mechanic at ASC to know (some kind of astrology) as how the issue occurred. When they didn't know how it occurred, he was complaining that people at ASC also don't know...may be in-competitive!!
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 15:39   #505
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,319
Thanked: 694 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Guys, many of the CBR 250Rs have this issue of the console lights blinking or going off altogether. How did you fix it? When I spoke to the ASC, they just wash their hands off saying they can do nothing about it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
I have the same problem. My console lights have also started behaving funny. The left side one blinks on and off whereas the right side one has gone completely off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Pls check if this could be put to some help for you guys
Done. Fixed the console lights blinking issue!! Yippeeee!

I had posted the Youtube video for replacing the console lights a few posts back - thanks to aargee. Bought the LEDs online - removed the console, opened, soldered and voila, lights issue fixed. Sadly, I somehow missed the rpm meter hand standing at 6 O'clock on idle and had fixed the console by then but anyways, I left it as it is - not important for now. But lights all working fine now. The LEDs I had bought are slightly different spec'd - little brighter.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 09:12   #506
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,210
Thanked: 4,843 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
After 3 and a half years, my bike's battery finally died.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Yes, the stock battery brand is good enough
Had left the bike idle for ~10 days, started on the 1st short crank. Bike came home on 18/10/'11. OE battery as yet. I am impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I don't know if it is winters [Brrrrrr] or something else,
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 11:27   #507
Senior - BHPian
 
Sudipto-S-Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,294
Thanked: 258 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R Review

Folks, I am planning to buy the CBR. Even took a test ride last Saturday with my wife and we both quite liked the feel.

The only issue that is bugging me is whether the bike will be phased out and availability of spares (even if it is not phased out). What is the general opinion? Most vehicles I have purchased have been discontinued soon after my purchase. Zen and Esteem to be precise . I sold the Zen soon enough but kept the Esteem for a good ten years. Though bikes and cars should not be compared but problems post phase out would presumably be the same and I didn't face any problem with my cars.

However, the total number of CBRs on the road is not that great. So if it is indeed phased out, I wonder how much support the dealers in Calcutta will give me.

I am completely out of the biking scene so far as modern bikes are concerned. I have an old Bullet. I am getting this bike principally for medium to long distance day trips. The Bullet is a little risky for solo rides.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 11:47   #508
BHPian
 
Added_flavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 614
Thanked: 735 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Folks, I am planning to buy the CBR. Even took a test ride last Saturday with my wife and we both quite liked the feel.

The only issue that is bugging me is whether the bike will be phased out and availability of spares (even if it is not phased out). What is the general opinion? Most vehicles I have purchased have been discontinued soon after my purchase. Zen and Esteem to be precise . I sold the Zen soon enough but kept the Esteem for a good ten years. Though bikes and cars should not be compared but problems post phase out would presumably be the same and I didn't face any problem with my cars.

However, the total number of CBRs on the road is not that great. So if it is indeed phased out, I wonder how much support the dealers in Calcutta will give me.

I am completely out of the biking scene so far as modern bikes are concerned. I have an old Bullet. I am getting this bike principally for medium to long distance day trips. The Bullet is a little risky for solo rides.
You'd be surprised to see the number of CBRs on the road, plus it is still being manufactured in spite of the rumours of being discontinued.

Also, the new CBR250R or the CBR300, whichever will be launched will share a lot of parts with the current model. From the pictures, looks like only the headlight cowl (twin headlamps) is different.

Also, the manufacturer is compelled to provide parts for at least 10 years after the manufacturing is stopped. So, on the whole, I don't think there will be any issue with parts.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 12:10   #509
Senior - BHPian
 
Sudipto-S-Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,294
Thanked: 258 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Also, the manufacturer is compelled to provide parts for at least 10 years after the manufacturing is stopped. So, on the whole, I don't think there will be any issue with parts.
The manufacturer officially will definitely support the bike with parts for ten years. Question is whether the dealer will stock it :-) Don't know about Bangalore but there aren't too many CBRs in Calcutta, for sure. I guess one has to bite the bullet and indeed as you said, this rumour is there in the market for a long time now.

Guess, I will take the plunge and will see how it unfolds.

Dealer said delivery will take at least a month.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 12:23   #510
BHPian
 
Added_flavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 614
Thanked: 735 Times
Default Re: Honda CBR 250R Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
The manufacturer officially will definitely support the bike with parts for ten years. Question is whether the dealer will stock it :-) Don't know about Bangalore but there aren't too many CBRs in Calcutta, for sure. I guess one has to bite the bullet and indeed as you said, this rumour is there in the market for a long time now.

Guess, I will take the plunge and will see how it unfolds.

Dealer said delivery will take at least a month.
I suggest check with multiple dealers before you book. Generally, one of them will have stocks as sales are not fast any more. You can just check the chassis no. to ensure it is 2015 manufactured.
Added_flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda CBR 250R - Initial Ownership Review mantrig Motorbikes 267 7th March 2017 06:23
Honda gives CBR 150R, CBR 250R new colours, decals for 2015 ashwin.terminat Motorbikes 23 31st October 2015 22:32
Honda recalls CBR 150R & CBR 250R for defective starter relay Added_flavor Motorbikes 0 15th August 2015 11:42
2014 Honda CBR 250R shares design with the recently unveiled CBR 300R JayPrashanth Motorbikes 6 25th October 2013 17:21
CBR 250R or CBR 600F2 sharad_kmc Superbikes & Imports 8 14th March 2013 21:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks