Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 11th May 2015, 12:31   #511
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Honda CBR 250R Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
You can just check the chassis no. to ensure it is 2015 manufactured.
Before I get to see this I have to pay Rs 10k upfront and the rest of the money I am sure will be taken when the bike is despatched from the factory. The dealer hasn't said this yet but I know that is the usual practice here. The dealer does not have the bike in ready stock. To be fair to him, he has no control if the company sends a pre-2015 bike.

But frankly I am not too worried about being given a late 2014 bike, as long as they give me the warranty coverage from the day I purchase the bike.

Going by the monopolistic attitude of the two-wheeler dealers, I think it makes eminent financial sense to buy some 2-wheeler stock from the market before buying the bike ;-)

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 11th May 2015 at 12:32.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 22:49   #512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
The Bullet is a little risky for solo rides.
So which bike will Mitch use?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 00:14   #513
BHPian

Quote:
The manufacturer officially will definitely support the bike with parts for ten years. Question is whether the dealer will stock it :-) Don't know about Bangalore but there aren't too many CBRs in Calcutta, for sure. I guess one has to bite the bullet and indeed as you said, this rumour is there in the market for a long time now.

Guess, I will take the plunge and will see how it unfolds.

Dealer said delivery will take at least a month.
With regular spares being available off the shelf at non-Honda branded shops, I don't presume spare availability would be an issue. But yes, if it's an accidental case, then even spares for the Activa takes time to come.

From my personal experience of the CBR (spanning 4 yrs and 35k odd kms) I'd say it's a very easy bike to live with. Yes, the service centers love to take you for a metaphorical ride everytime you visit them, and hence, unless the bike gets some critical fault, I prefer staying away from the SVC post warranty.

P. S. Which showroom have you booked your bike with? Asking since I paid 5k as booking amount, and paid the rest on delivery, after having done the PDI in front of me.

Last edited by dreamseller : 12th May 2015 at 00:16. Reason: Adding Postscript
dreamseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 08:41   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks, I am planning to buy the CBR. Even took a test ride last Saturday with my wife and we both quite liked the feel
Welcome to the club

No issues with spares until now & I don't think there will be any for next 4-5 years especially when HMSI & Honda have the strategy of using common spares for different motorcycles. I've seen frames, engine, cylinder head, cylinder piston kit, shims, entire intake manifold, steering assembly being made available in a week to 10 days time & the regular consumables available off the shelf in Chennai.

There's no need to worry about the availability of spares; just stick to the oldest HMSI dealer in your town or the one who has biggest ASC in the town for motorcycles & you'll never face issues. Even if you do, remember its an international model; this means, you can import the parts from abroad as well (barring the STD's front caliper kit assy); and still you've bunch of fellow riders across the nation & one post here will help you to get the parts through the country

Once again, welcome to the club & ride safe
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 20:50   #515
BHPian

Hello Everyone,
I finally made my mind to buy used CBR as stop gap arrangement to get used to new gen bikes before i upgrade to 650 cc category.
Will appreciate all riders to help me with few queries

1) Have heard that initial batch of CBRs had some niggling issues, should i look for bikes post 2011?
2) I can check condition of external mechanical parts like, brake, carb, metes, tyres, rims etc but any suggestion to evaluate engine and gearbox
3) which tyres are best for CBR and how much do they cost, as it will be used for long rides only except few rare city rides
4) Best mechanic/ASC in Poona, as there is a high probability that bike would out of warranty I dont mind going to any local mechanic or ASC provided they are trustworthy
5) Any performance/comfort upgrade for long rides
6) With ABS or without ABS? i have never used ABS bikes and for that matter rarely used bike with disc brakes ( I am coming from RD GTS/RX/Shogun/few REs etc.)
7) What to look for in old CBRs ?

Thanks in advance !

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 21:36   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
I finally made my mind to buy used CBR as stop gap arrangement to get used to new gen bikes before i upgrade to 650 cc category.
All this & more has been penned here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...questions.html (Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions)

Request pls go through it & come back for specifics. Tks
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 21:40   #517
BHPian

Quote:

3) which tyres are best for CBR and how much do they cost, as it will be used for long rides only except few rare city rides

4) Best mechanic/ASC in Poona, as there is a high probability that bike would out of warranty I dont mind going to any local mechanic or ASC provided they are trustworthy

6) With ABS or without ABS? i have never used ABS bikes and for that matter rarely used bike with disc brakes ( I am coming from RD GTS/RX/Shogun/few REs etc.)

Hello sir,

I don't own a CBR but have ridden quite a few as my friends have it. I can answer some of your queries-

3. I use conti go's 100/90 R17 and Dunlop tuffgrip 140/70/R17 on my Fazer. My friend in B'lore uses same rear tyres as I do on his CBR. Our experience has been good with them.

4. My bike regularly goes to a mechanic in Warje. His name is Prakash. Though he has a very small place, he is very experienced and dedicated towards his work. My Fazer regularly goes to him. All the engine related mods were also done at his place. If you want I can give you his number. I have seen quite a few R15's at his place.

6. Please get the CBR with ABS only. The non-ABS CBR250R is best avoided. Trust me you will be comfortable riding a CBR250R ABS, it also was the first bike I got to ride with ABS too.

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 14:00   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
All this & more has been penned here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...questions.html (Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions)

Request pls go through it & come back for specifics. Tks
1) Have heard that initial batch of CBRs had some niggling issues, should i look for bikes post 2011 or low mileage 2011 bikes are good too?
2) I can check condition of external mechanical parts like, brake, carb, metes, tyres, rims etc but any suggestion to evaluate engine and gearbox

Thank you !

Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 15:48   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) Have heard that initial batch of CBRs had some niggling issues, should i look for bikes post 2011 or low mileage 2011 bikes are good too?
Its a misconception & falsified information spread especially by the non CBR 250R owners, just because they hear a tale or two about some issues with C250R. I know so many guys in this forum & in xBhp who have bought C250R even before I do & they are happy owners. These are the guys who used to recommend keeping the RPM under 5000 just because that was the recommendation for Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
There's no CARBurettor for CBR 250R. Requesting to go through the link I provided above once again please.

Quote:
Whether it has a good & caring owner, service history & if the asking price is in your budget

Last edited by aargee : 15th May 2015 at 15:51.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 16:26   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
There's no CARBurettor for CBR 250R. Requesting to go through the link I provided above once again please.
My mistake wrote carb..........
Will appreciate any reference link, i have gone through all pages of link posted by you and more than 50 pages of link out 1572 pages in x-bhp
I am looking for pointers on what to look for while buying old CBR.

Regards,
Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 14:42   #521
BHPian

Quote:
My mistake wrote carb..........
Will appreciate any reference link, i have gone through all pages of link posted by you and more than 50 pages of link out 1572 pages in x-bhp
I am looking for pointers on what to look for while buying old CBR.

Regards,
Shubhendra
From my ownership experience, I'd mostly agree with what Aargee has said.
The Honda is mostly forgiving, and is a very good product. Look for how it has been kept: rims, chains, brake discs, fork seals, coneset, body panels will give you an idea on how much love it received (or didn't). See if you can take a friend along, who's a cbr 250 owner. An owner will be able to hear any unusual sound from the engine.

And please take a sufficiently long TD, preferably in dense traffic. A properly heated up engine will tell its innermost secrets. ATB!

P. S. I own a 2011 CBR 250R and its been a worry free experience so far, as long as I don't have to interact with the pathetic ASC. Satisfied owners like Aargee, Dr. Arnob, etc. who have 75-80k+ kms on their 2011 bikes are testimony to the product's capabilities.

Last edited by dreamseller : 16th May 2015 at 14:46.
dreamseller is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 15:32   #522
Senior - BHPian

Sutripta-da, Dreamseller and Argee - sorry to respond so late. With a heavy heart I have to say I have dropped the idea of getting the CBR 250. The dealership itself isn't very sure if they will be able to deliver the bike. They said, as far as we know, Honda has stopped making the ABS version. However, the Honda Calcutta office apparently told them "get the booking and then we shall see". The sales person said if they cannot deliver in a month they would pay back the 5k booking amount.
I am not feeling comfortable with this sort of statements. From my sources in Delhi, I know that the model is being made in super low numbers. No one knows when the bike will come or if at all it will come.
With a heavy heart I am going for the KTM 390. Heavy heart because I thought the Honda is a lot more refined bike.
Sutripta-da - I am no Mitch :-) In the sense I don't have infinite holidays to fix things on the road. But the Bullet is still his if he comes back. And it is still mine for easy rides on holidays.
Dreamseller - let's hook up one of these days.
Old 18th May 2015, 18:05   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Sutripta-da, Dreamseller and Argee - sorry to respond so late. With a heavy heart I have to say I have dropped the idea of getting the CBR 250. The dealership itself isn't very sure if they will be able to deliver the bike. They said, as far as we know, Honda has stopped making the ABS version. However, the Honda Calcutta office apparently told them "get the booking and then we shall see". The sales person said if they cannot deliver in a month they would pay back the 5k booking amount.
I am not feeling comfortable with this sort of statements. From my sources in Delhi, I know that the model is being made in super low numbers. No one knows when the bike will come or if at all it will come.
With a heavy heart I am going for the KTM 390. Heavy heart because I thought the Honda is a lot more refined bike.
Sutripta-da - I am no Mitch :-) In the sense I don't have infinite holidays to fix things on the road. But the Bullet is still his if he comes back. And it is still mine for easy rides on holidays.
Dreamseller - let's hook up one of these days.
Good to hear. The KaTooM is a very competent bike too. Have a great ownership experience.

Yes, let's catch up sometime. Have PMed you my number. Also, let me know in case you're coming to the KTM showroom at VIP Road. I stay at a stone's throw away.
dreamseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 21:39   #524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From my sources in Delhi, I know that the model is being made in super low numbers.
Find out Honda India's battery procurement numbers.

And now you will have no further excuses about not joining us because you'll slow us down. (That excuse will now be ours!).

Regards
Sutripta

PS(I). Am sure the tyre pressures on your Duster are not 85.
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 21:56   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
And now you will have no further excuses about not joining us because you'll slow us down. (That excuse will now be ours!).
Nah no more excuses :-) From the little that I could test, the KTM seemed to have serious power. I am sure we could do that planned day trip to Bishnupur now. Will take a little while to get adjusted to such speeds and more importantly the brakes.

I cannot share proprietary information in an open forum. Also I do not have the brand wise production figures, in any case.

Sorry about the signature goof up. Let me see if I can remember how to change it :-) Thanks for pointing out so subtly