Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 19th May 2015, 11:24   #526
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Honda CBR 250R Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
With a heavy heart I am going for the KTM 390. Heavy heart because I thought the Honda is a lot more refined bike.
I'm not really sure about what's there to be heavy-hearted about getting a lot more bike than what you originally wanted to get.

But congratulations all the same.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 02:51   #527
BHPian

Post Re: Honda CBR 250R Review

Quote:
Sutripta-da, Dreamseller and Argee - sorry to respond so late. With a heavy heart I have to say I have dropped the idea of getting the CBR 250. The dealership itself isn't very sure if they will be able to deliver the bike. They said, as far as we know, Honda has stopped making the ABS version. However, the Honda Calcutta office apparently told them "get the booking and then we shall see". The sales person said if they cannot deliver in a month they would pay back the 5k booking amount.
I am not feeling comfortable with this sort of statements. From my sources in Delhi, I know that the model is being made in super low numbers. No one knows when the bike will come or if at all it will come.
With a heavy heart I am going for the KTM 390. Heavy heart because I thought the Honda is a lot more refined bike.

Heavy heart! Honda is, was, will, always be a refined motorcycle. And then some have character, raw, kick ass, clunky, you name it. I've waited close to three months to get my CBR250. The parody for me always has been this, wife vs wench, former being cbr and the latter being Duke, since I knew I required them both, bought both and both keep me happy with their respective demands.

Just go for the Duke, don't really jinx your purchase plan, if you like it go for it, else diss it. Free world, you'll get tons of advise, including mine �� but that doesn't mean you'll have to miss out on something that's immensely fun to ride, just my 2c

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 17:49   #528
Senior - BHPian

I hope the heart doesn't remain too heavy for too long :-)
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 07:29   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope the heart doesn't remain too heavy for too long :-)
See, if you're still inclined towards CPR, then, if you can please wait for couple of more months, you'll have some concrete news on the new CPR 250R or CPR 300 or whatsoever from HMSI.

You can take a call after that whether to go with KTM or with Honda. If you've waited this long, you can hold on for 2 more months, so that you can take a unified decision from both your heart & brain & you don't need to feel heavy
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 17:38   #530
Senior - BHPian

I thought about doing that but then I rationalised like this. A. I don't know exactly for how long I might have to wait. The news of their imminent launch is doing the rounds in the grapevine since last year. One would think that now that Pulsar has been relaunched they will launch their 300 version soon but how soon? B. If it is a new bike altogether then I would like it to establish itself in the market first. I don't normally rush immediately after a new launch. Experience tells me that many tweaks happen after a new model is launched. So it is generally worth the patience.
I thought meanwhile let me own the KTM for a couple of years and then let's see what Honda brings out.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 13:16   #531
Senior - BHPian

Back to topic on my CBR 250R review...

Here's my experience with chain lubes for nearly 4 years with CPR...
- The new chain has a colorless lube that can certainly withstand for over 1000+ Km even in rain
- One has to CLEAN, CLEAN & CLEAN the chain thoroughly to get the same silver/aluminium color on the chain (I use a little over quarter can of Motul for every clean & the entire Motul can only lasts for 4-4.5 times)
- The black color in the chain indicates the amount of dirt that it has accumulated over the time which can be removed ONLY if cleaned well, I clean it like...
1. Spray the cleaner mildly over the chain so that there's enough cleaner on the chain
2. Use tooth brush (best is grunge brush) & brush off link by link so that the black chain becomes even blacker & at the same time cleaning the brush for every few links
3. Spray the cleaner over the links hard so that the dirt is blown away from the links & you can start seeing the steel/silver/aluminium color on the chain
4. Clean the brush/use a new brush & once again brush mildly over the links & at the same time cleaning the brush for every few links
5. Repeat step 3 & then wipe the chain with a clean cloth

Guaranteed to get sparkling chain every time if you follow the above steps

Before cleaning...
Honda CBR 250R Review-20150521124948.jpg

After cleaning...
Honda CBR 250R Review-20150521131544.jpg

Honda CBR 250R Review-20150521131621.jpg

After lubing...
Honda CBR 250R Review-20150521132224.jpg
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 14:20   #532
Distinguished - BHPian

But must say, this chain cleaning is a tough job and that too when the monsoon is approaching. Good timing there. Motul lube was available this time, but not clean. Have got myself Zorrik from Pidlite for chain clean. Will update on its performance once I use.

You got a sparkling clean chain there
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 15:21   #533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
You got a sparkling clean chain there
Oh!! Sheel, that's a 6219 (precise) new chain, changed on 27-Feb including the sprocket assembly & probably that's why it's looking new; it was lubed once after 3132 Km usage & after that only now, which is after 3087 Km; the chain started squeaking after 1850 Km & have been riding with chain squeaking for 1237 Km.

With Monsoon nearing, please use WD40 to get sparkling clean. This was cleaned using 3M chain cleaner.

Last edited by aargee : 22nd May 2015 at 15:23.
Old 22nd May 2015, 16:37   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
With Monsoon nearing, please use WD40 to get sparkling clean.
WD 40 not available Anna, have to make do with what is available or kerosene + tooth brush.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 17:07   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
WD 40 not available Anna, have to make do with what is available or kerosene + tooth brush.
Please stay off from Kerosene; tooth brush is good though; I can ship you a cannister of WD40 from here. But I don't know who will pass by your place to send it through CAR COURIER.

Another option - http://www.amazon.in/WD40-Family-400...a-000023bb2b11
Old 24th May 2015, 03:10   #536
BHPian

Post Re: Honda CBR 250R Review

Quote:
Yes, do not use Kerosene, or parts that have rubber, or mesh with rubber they affect rubber parts negatively and prolonged usage of Kerosene on an O-Ring chain will lead to premature chain wear. Aargee is right, WD 40 is the best, next up is Diesel and then comes "Kerosene -- scratch that" whenever possible.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 24th May 2015 at 03:12.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 09:09   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh!! Sheel, that's a 6219 (precise) new chain, changed on 27-Feb including the sprocket assembly & probably that's why it's looking new; it was lubed once after 3132 Km usage & after that only now, which is after 3087 Km; the chain started squeaking after 1850 Km & have been riding with chain squeaking for 1237 Km.

With Monsoon nearing, please use WD40 to get sparkling clean. This was cleaned using 3M chain cleaner.
A very clean chain. Don't you lube the chain after cleaning it, or you just did not post the pic?

How frequently do you tighten the chain - along with cleaning the chain? I usually take it to the service centre, which is a pain.
PatienceWins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 19:54   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
A very clean chain...cleaning the chain? I usually take it to the service centre, which is a pain.
Its the lubed chain in the picture; chain has to be tightened once its loose & falls below the threshold limit which is mentioned in the swing arm. Once it falls beyond the threshold, its always advised to get it tightened at ASC by a CBR technician.

This is just another number, believe me!!
Honda CBR 250R Review-20150128190647.jpg

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th May 2015 at 07:36. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 24th May 2015, 22:55   #539
BHPian

Quote:
This is just another number, believe me!!
Attachment 1374293
80K clicks! That's huge. Never saw this much mileage on a relatively modern bike like this.

Respect.
petrolhead_neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 02:48   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I can tell just by looking at the photos of your chain cleaning that your chain is in need of some SERIOUS lubrication.
Notice the links that are pointing in different directions in the pictures.
If everything was good, they would all be pointing at each other, under only the weight of the chain, in a nice, smooth line.

There also should NEVER be a trace of rust on a chain and I see several sidelinks with rusty surfaces.

Your comment about the chain squeeking only adds emphsis to my comment that YOUR CHAIN NEEDS LUBRICATION.

Not every 3100 km. Not every 2000 km. Not even every 1500 km.

All chains, standard or O-Ring or X-Ring need to be lubricated at least every 1000 km or better yet, every 500 km.

Having a well lubricated chain is at least 50 times more important than having a nice shiny, "new" looking chain when it comes to a long life and not wearing the sprockets.

I am not a great fan of the idea of cleaning motorcycle chains except to wipe them off with a old, clean, dry rag.

The surfaces that move against each other as the chain moves, both the rollers and the sideplates, need to always be lubricated but they don't like hard abrasives.
Washing a chain with diesel, petrol, WD 40, or chain cleaners will wash fine abrasive dirt and sand particles down into these moving joints which will cause the metal parts to wear.

Lubricating oils tend to do this as well as the solvents but at least they add friction reducing oil to the mix.

Get a dedicated Motorcycle Chain Lubricant and throughly lubricate your chain. These chain lubricants are a mixture of light (thin) solvent and a heavier (thick) extreme pressure oil or wax.
The solvent carries the heavy oil down into the area of the roller and link movements and then evaporates leaving the protection behind to lubricate and to keep rust at bay.

A "dirty" ,well lubricated chain should easily last for over 17,000 km and will cause no wear on the sprockets.

Please, don't forget. Lubricate your chain at least every 800-900 km or more often. Leave it slightly oily. That will protect it from water and the rust it can produce.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 25th May 2015 at 02:52.
ArizonaJim is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote